Reporting roadfaults - BobbyG
FWIW, I drive between North Lanarkshire Council roads and West Lothian Roads. I regularly notice potholes, missing signs etc as we all do on our journeys.
I took the time to check out both council's websites and found that you can report problems direct to them via the sites.
I now have both of these set up in my favourites and regularly submit forms to them for repairs that are required.
I don't know if its due to the "sue culture" that surrounds us now or not, but the longest I have waited for a repair to be done after reporting it is 4 days!

So next time you get annoyed because of a specific pothole etc, take a minute or two to let your local authority know. You may be surprised how quickly it gets fixed!
Reporting roadfaults - henry k
Elmbridge, Surrey have always acted within just a few days when I regularly report potholes. I just phone them and they respond well. No complaints about them.
Surprise surprise neighbours complain to ME not the council.
They are surprised when I tell them to phone but I suspect they do no more.

However a heavily used road leading to Surbiton Station (Kingston GLC) is in a bad state. Quite a few days after I reported many many potholes a few got the spray paint treatment and then some poor patching.
Very short sighted approach as the rest need sorting.
Their response to my call was not great.

I agree always worth a call.
Reporting roadfaults - SR
BobbyG,

I did the same not so long ago (N Lanarkshire), and the fault was fixed the next day.

Sometimes it's worth actually finding out how to get things sorted, rather than just moaning about it like some would do.
Reporting roadfaults - Roger Jones
Herts CC has a fault-reporting channel on their website and they usually respond promptly with appropriate action.
Reporting roadfaults/bad design - BrianW
I rang Transport for London yesterday because the islands on the Seven Sisters Road/Green Lanes junction have been "improved".
The result is that the tail of one island is angled out into the traffic stream at about a 25 degree angle and from tyre marks has already been hit by several vehicles.
The leading edge of the island in the other direction similarly sticks out and requires a dog-leg manoeuvre to exit the junction.
Still waiting for a traffic engineer to get back to me.
Reporting roadfaults/bad design - volvoman
Don't hold your breath Brian - In early February contacted TFL about their stupid policy of constantly replacing the expensive glass in vandalised bus shelters yet with more expensive glass ad infinitum. To say their response was both slow and patronising is an understatement! It took weeks to get a reply and I'm still waiting for the adult version. Even a desperate call to the Mayor's public liaison unit failed to generate any momentum on their part (surprise, surprise).

That having been said, we should all report such issues rather than just whining on about them. You can't blame the authorities if they haven't been advised of the problem. Let us know how you get on.
Reporting roadfaults/bad design - Wales Forester
You'll probably find that the aesthetic appearance of the bus shelters matters far more to TfL than the cost of constantly repairing them.

The only viable alternative to glass is polycarbonate type material which is even more attractive to the graffiti/vandalism brigade than glass, mainly because it can be scratched/etched into easily, leaving permanent damage which looks unsightly.
It is also very difficult to remove spray paint from polycarbonate without the paint or the removal agent eating into the surface. Polycarbonate can also be melted with a naked flame.

Our council (in North Wales) has a policy of erecting shelters with glass windows, but the first time a window is broken by vandalism it is automatically replaced with polycarbonate. This means that some shelters have windows of both materials which look awful, especially once the polycarbonate has been etched into.

I hope that makes some sense.

PP