Another Private Plate Type Question... - PoloGirl
...but not really about private plates...

I've found out that if I buy a car registered in a certain area of Glasgow, it would come prefixed with my initials, which would be nice :)

If I decide to buy a new car, and wanted the registration prefixed like that, can I request that it be registered in Glasgow, or would I have to go to Glasgow to buy it?

Another Private Plate Type Question... - DavidHM
Are you sure about that?

SA, SB, SC, SD, SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ are all Glasgow marks according to tinyurl.com/28xjs

I don't think you can actually specify where your car is first registered - as far as I can tell it would amount to bypassing the local connection between the DVLA office and the supplying dealer. Even if you could, you would only have one chance in nine of getting the right initials.

So, to get your initials, you'd need a DVLA Select registration. The only thing is that unless you get SU54NNE or something, no one will ever notice.
Another Private Plate Type Question... - DavidHM
... or something ending in 54RAH perhaps?
Another Private Plate Type Question... - PoloGirl
Yep - 54RAH would work for me, but I don't want something that is so in your face as that.

If it had my initials, I would know it was special but it wouldn't be immediately obvious to everyone else. I know it doesn't make sense but it would make me smile!

All hyperthetical of course, but could I specify on the order form that the car wouldn't be accepted unless it came with a particular prefix? I'm sure I've seen a map somewhere of certain prefixes in certain areas, but of course I can't find it now.

Another Private Plate Type Question... - BobbyG
Not sure if its still the case but I think it used to be that if you were buying at a peak time eg August, the dealers had "pre-allocated" to them number plates. My friend got a new 51 Mercedes and got a choice of plates.
However, bearing in mind the DVLA Select plates are usually about £400, it would seem to be a lot of hassle dealing with a dealer hundreds of miles away. Also, if the dealer knows why you are going to him, the terms of the deal might not be as preferential for you as you might have got.
All hypothetical of course!
Another Private Plate Type Question... - Mad Maxy
Initials? 'Names' that use 4s, 7s and suchlike? Forget 'em. Two a penny and dead corny. Buy a distinctive plate for some other resson.

Or buy a new car and choose from what the dealer has available. Might have some nice letters. Or maybe not...