Corsa Handbrake - VTiredeyes
Hi all.
just wondered if this is correct.
my mothers car, she is 63, and has been driving for 20 years,
(whether that makes a difference or not i dont know!) she has just been down to vauxhall garage. they want to charge her £48 to adjust her handbrake. they said its after the bedding in !!!!!!!!!
the car is 6 months old + has done 3000 miles. i told her not to have it done. but she is unable to park the car on a hill. (i have told her to park on flat carparks, till i get time to look at it.) i guess there is an adjustment on the rear of handbrake itself? (like on a nut and spindle?)
i understand we bought the car from manchester, (a vauxhall dealer, its a proper UK car)and we live in w.mids. but i would have thought this would come under warrenty. surely not every corsa needs handbrake adjusting every 3000 miles?? or 6 months. any ideas?
Corsa Handbrake - Altea Ego
With my last three new cars, I have NEVER had to have the handbrake adjusted outside the normal service intervals. If its got the point where it wont hold the car after 6 months from new its a FAULT. Ask them in the service book where it says the handbrake needs to be adjusted after 6 months. It should be rectified under warranty.
Corsa Handbrake - Mapmaker
Tell her to park it in gear, too.
Corsa Handbrake - matt35 {P}
With the wheels turned IN if facing downhill and OUT if facing uphill.

Matt35.
Corsa Handbrake - Dynamic Dave
The £48 charge isn't unreasonable, Vauxhall hourly rates being ITRO £60 plus nowadays.

Not saying for one moment that your Gran drives around with the handbrake partially on, but that could be a possibility.

Cables when new do stretch slightly, but saying that the rear brakes should be self adjusting - maybe a fualt in the adjusters, which until the drums are removed cannot be checked.

Yes, there is an adjustment on the cable, which is normally around the area of the rear suspension arm. IIRC, three clicks of the handbrake and the brake shoes should just be rubbing on the drums.

As regards brakes coming under warranty, the linings are classed as wear and tear items. Unless the drums or disks have physically broken, or the calipers have sheered off their mountings, you'll be lucky to be able to claim anything.

{ps, This'll get moved across to Technical Matters later today. DD}