Oil change too risky on Good Friday - Drivethru
Thought I would get the oil changed on my car on Good Friday, so rang National to make sure they are open. Yes they are but apparently the one at Durham will not do an oil change because if anything goes wrong they won't be able to get the parts then.
I rang other branches who will do an oil change no problem. Doesn't instill confidence in the Durham branch if they think a simple oil change will go wrong!
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - No Do$h
Well over the last few years I've had

# The thread on a sump stripped (result: sump plug and oil all over the forecourt after about 90 seconds with the engine running. They paid for a heli-coil to be inserted to replace the stripped thread)

# A Torx-key slot on the sump-plg stripped, then winced in horror as the monkey in overalls reached for the stilson wrench

# A filter clearly designed for a small cruise-liner offered up (with a lump of wood)into a space that will accept, begrudgingly, the standard filter - cos dats wot da book sez your car takes.

So I would be willing to take their advice on this one. I know I've extolled the virtues of a fast-fit oil and filter change, but I do keep an eye on the clueless one. If I see anything I don't like I run towards the offending spanner monkey, screaming like a demented orang-utang, beating my chest and offering previously unimagined levels of bodily pain upon said person.

Seems to work.
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - Imagos
easy answer... do it yourself or wait until next week.

does it really have to be done on friday?
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - Drivethru
Of course it doesn't have to be done on Friday, you seem to have missed the point.
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - none
Well, No Dosh, if you insist on getting things done on the cheap, don't complain if you get what you pay for. The lads doing the work were probably doing their best with the disadvantages of little training and low pay. The managers of these outfits depend on cheapskate monkeys like yourself to make a good profit.
Well, No Dosh, if you insist on getting things done on
the cheap, don't complain if you get what you pay for.

I paid for an oil and filter change. Physical changes to my car weren't paid for.
The lads doing the work were probably doing their best with
the disadvantages of little training and low pay.

Which is why I make a point of slipping them a fiver for a good job done. 75% of the guys I see do a good job and deserve better money. There is always one monkey in every setup, usually identified as such by his colleagues.

The managers of
these outfits depend on cheapskate monkeys like yourself to make a
good profit.

Well I'd better stop going to these places. In fact, everyone stop going as it seems we are simply serving as tools of the oppressors. Oh, but hang on a minute, then they would close and all the good guys would be out of a job, along with the clueless ones.

Who's the monkey now, None?

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - Glutton
What's wrong with expecting someone to correctly complete a job they have advertised they will do at a fixed price? If the company have advertised the service then they must carry out the job correctly, regardless of whether you think it is "doing it on the cheap".

What is a fair price to pay for a bog standard oil change, considering these chains buy oil by the barrel and will get large volume discounts on filters?
Looking back, I'm slightly concerned that the fitting of a sump plug without stripping the thread requires "training". Given a long enough lever to counter her lack of physical strength, my 4 year old daughter could do it.
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - Mapmaker
When I was just about old enough to be able to hold something (anything - so about 2) my father bought me a big plastic nut & bolt to practise screwing them up together.
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - Kuang
That's investment for the future - teach the skill now and he'll be changing your oil for you in 18 years time ;)
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - patently
my 4 year old daughter could do it.

Ah - but can she hold a cigarette pointing inwards, make that "sharp intake of breath" noise, smile, and explain that she's very sorry but this is going to be a pricey one, guv'nor.....
No, but she's perfected the gallic shrug and "I dunno Guv, it's nuffin to do wiv me" attitude. Give her time, give her time....
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - martint123
It could of course be the other way round. Owner wrecks his sump plug or sump - botches it with 'metal putty' or whatever and takes it next time to the cheap and cheerful place in the hope they'll think they've done the damage and fix it. Thats why they like the dealers being open maybe.
Sir, I resent that slur on my character. Pistols at dawn and bring your second blah blah.....

ND
Oil change too risky on Good Friday - AngryJonny
I'd imagine they're more concerned with the car's ability to cope with an oil change than their own ability to perform one. I can happily change a car's oil myself, but it doesn't mean there haven't been occasions when I've found myself shearing the edges off a sump-plug on a somewhat neglected car where it's siezed.

Personally, I'd be more confident of taking my car to the Durham branch than the other branches after that. At least they've had the foresight to predict a potential problem, rather than performing the oil change and keeping the car in all Easter-weekend if it goes wrong.