Golf MK4 Throttle Body Failure - PhilVW01
Recently suffered failure of the throttle body on my wife's 1999 1.6 MK4 Golf. Result - one extremely hefty ~£450 bill. As the car is out of warranty - VW weren't interested in my unhappinness. Even when I pursued VW GB directly and asked them to consider it as a goodwill claim. No dice, as not complete main dealer service history.

The interesting thing was that the repairs were carried out by a main dealer - and even they were surprised that Milton Keynes had this part in stock - and not just one unit either. This suggests to me that this part is a regular failure on this engine. Anyone else had experience of this on the VW 1.6 (8v) engine? Would be really interested.

Thanks
Golf MK4 Throttle Body Failure - Ian D
Amazing isn't it how a lack of a full VWSH can possibly affect goodwill payment on a 1999 Golf. The only good thing is that by not having a FVWSH you have probably saved more than you would have benefitted in this case. Time will tell whether it becomes a well known problem...
Golf MK4 Throttle Body Failure - Halmer
I had problems with my 1.6S S Reg which were , I'm pretty certain, down to this.

The car suffered from eratic tickover and was sorted by the VW dealer cleaning some kind of sensor hole or something in the throttle body. The problem returned 12 months later and this time a different VW garage told me that the previous VW garage were talking rubbish.

It never got sorted and was passed on to the next owner when I part exchanged the car.