Advisory speed limits? - bertj
Am I correct in thinking that speed limit signs shown in a rectangular box with a black border are not mandatory? They are often found at the approach to fairly severe motorway bends. Other examples can be found on the A55 tunnels in North Wales, especially the Conwy tunnel. These signs are not shown in the Highway Code.
Advisory speed limits? - Dwight Van Driver
Seems what you are describing is Sign 6001 - Temporary Maximum Speed ADVISED.

However ignore them at your peril for contravention could assist in a prosecution for dangerous/due care etc.

DVD
Advisory speed limits? - Citroënian {P}
Thanks DVD,

I've never really understood if they were directly prosecutable or not.

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Advisory speed limits? - Pugugly {P}
I actually got stopped in the Conwy Tunnel many years ago before the existing mania i N Wales) by a mtorcycle cop who accused me of endangering Western Civilization by doing 70 in a 50 I challenged him to book me in the end and he slunk off.

Pastime: using a 5 to straighen the bendy bits.
Advisory speed limits? - NitroBurner

I challenged him to book me in the end
and he slunk off.

Would you try that these days...?
No.
No.

Advisory speed limits? - Blue {P}
I know the type of signs that you mean Bertj, an example that I can think of is on the A1 Northbound just after Team Valley, or southbound just before it.

They are positioned just before a semi-tight bend, saying maximum speed 40mph, but they are not in a red circle, are permantently there, and just after one of them is a NSL repeater sign! Needless to say they are universally ignored and most people go round the corner at an apparently safe 70mph.

Blue
Advisory speed limits? - Andrew-T
I suspect most advisory 'safe speed' limits are aimed at HGVs and other large vehicles, rather than cars?