peugeot 406 2.1td starting/running probs - gsb
Hi. This is my 1st post to the forum.I hope someone may be able to help,as my local peugeot garage does not seem to know the answer after plugging into their computer, several bills and replacement of glow plugs which made no difference. I have owned car about 3 years
1998 car has done 120k serviced every 6k. Engine starts ok sometimes but more and more frequently it starts and then immediately stops,does this up to 3 times and then starts and runs ok. Also, occassionaly it sort of very briefly hesitates while running. Lastly and most worrying on a couple of occassions engine has completely cut out while on motorway but immediately restarts.
Would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas. Thanks
peugeot 406 2.1td starting/running probs - Richard Hall
I'm not familiar with this engine, but assuming it has conventional (mechanical) fuel injection, the first place I would look is the power feed to the stop solenoid. Could be an ignition switch fault - do you have a great huge bunch of keys hanging off your keyring?

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
peugeot 406 2.1td starting/running probs - elekie&a/c doctor
Next time engine fails to start,check operation of yellow engine management & glow warning lights to see if they fail to illuminate,when ignition switch is turned on.
Engine management and glow plug lights come on when ignition switched on.

Thanks
It has electronic fuel injection. Medium size bunch of keys removed,but no difference. Thanks for input
Could an air leak in the fuel system or fuel injectors cause these sort of problems.
Anyone any ideas. Thanks
peugeot 406 2.1td starting/running probs - keo-the-dog
have heard of wiring problems on these with engine running try and tug/shake wiring possibly around rear of engine/bulkhead area . not a personal experience just remember a mate who is a mechanic mentioning the same problem with a customers car that had been in several times but never played up while with them in the end brutal measures were taken ie give all the wiring agood old shake around and bingo they found the problem
hope it helps ...cheers...keo
peugeot 406 2.1td starting/running probs - dieselhead

hesitation cutting out point to an air leak. Has the fuel filter been changed recently ?