Latest 414 thoughts! - Dave
See thread below on Helicoil for background.

The car cost me 700 quid 12,000 miles ago so a bodge solution to get me going for the life of one plug would be a fine solution - I can replace the head in my own time then.

1) If the rusty plugs are a sign of knackered head gasket then I'm better off replacing the head. If I do it myself this is cheap. I'm a little daunted by the job though.

2) I couldn't get a (self made) tap in at all last night so I'm wondering if the aliminium itself may have melted making tapping the thread again impossible.

3) Most people who know their stuff say helicoil in situ is v. v. risky and often innefective. Costs 45 quid.

So I can either spend 45 quid and hope for the best. Or replace the head. Cure every potential problem but risk screwing it up big style through my own mistakes.

Can a head gasket really leak for 12,000 & 15 months miles without giving the car any symptoms/overheating problems at all??? It's been a plug ruster from day one. If I could be sure the gasket was OK I'd happily risk the helicoil.
Re: Latest 414 thoughts! - Richard Hall
How many miles does this car have on it? The quick way out might be to source a lowish mileage replacement engine from a reputable breaker. Then you'll have a warranty of some sort, and you don't have to worry about messing with head gaskets, disturbing liners etc. You might even get a few quid for your old engine - enough to cover the cost of hiring an engine crane.

I've never tried an engine swap on a 414, so it might be worth finding out if this is a pig of a job before you start.
Re: Latest 414 thoughts! - John Slaughter
Dave

The lowest melting point of any aluminium alloy is 450C, so that isn't likely to be the problem! If the tap won't go in it's a mechanical problem; badly damaged threads being the most likely cause, although if the plug was actually blowing by it could also be carbon build up. If this has been a problem for a while I suspect the threads are just to badly damaged.

regards

John
Re: Latest 414 thoughts! - Dave
John Slaughter wrote:
>
> Dave
>
> The lowest melting point of any aluminium alloy is 450C, so
> that isn't likely to be the problem!

Thankyou - my first bit of good news!
Head Gasket. - Dave
If the gasket *has* been seeping for 12 months might torqueing down the head bolts more help?

Is it really possible for a car to run so long and so well with a leaking gasket?

It regularly does 2-4 hour drives with no problems.

What else would cause plugs to rust quickly? Short journeys? It does 1.5 miles twice a day.
Re: Latest 414 thoughts! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
The helicoil route may not be an option in-situ as I dont think my helicoil tool will get in to do the job as the plugs are sooooo deeply recessed. I am local to you and mobile and if you'd like me to have a look I will. Find me in YP.
Working on these engines is not difficult, just a little unusual. Costs however are raised due to the price of the parts. i.e. gasket sets and headbolts etc. I recently fitted a good secondhand engine to a 214 for all-in about £600. Only worth doing I think if the rest of the car is up to it.
HTH
Andrew.
Thanks! - Dave
Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd) wrote:
>
> The helicoil route may not be an option in-situ as I dont
> think my helicoil tool will get in to do the job as the plugs
> are sooooo deeply recessed.

The guy who agreed to to it in the end knows this and *thinks* he can make a special tool of his own design to work as an adaptor on the helicoil tool.

> I am local to you and mobile and
> if you'd like me to have a look I will.

I *would* like that - I'd rather give my cash to someone I know that a stranger. Also the p*ss taking on this site if you failed to resolve it would be unbearable for you!!!! Now that's an incentive. ;-)

What would your suggested solution be, though?

New head? Or some kind of bush?
Re: Thanks! - Dave
Dave wrote:
>
> What would your suggested solution be, though?
>
> New head? Or some kind of bush?

And - do you work Saturdays?
Re: Thanks! - David W
Next you'll be asking if his labour rate is still £5/hr!

;-)

David
David W wrote:
>
> Next you'll be asking if his labour rate is still £5/hr!

Do you reckon he'll want *money*?

I was going to give him a £15 M&S voucher and a copy of Razzle from last March... ;-) ;-)
Re: Thanks! - David W
That'll be quite worn by now then!

David
David W wrote:
>
> That'll be quite worn by now then!

Yes, M&S vouchers do lose their gloss with time!