Cavalier Diesel wont start - mik7
Hi
I have a Vauxhall cavalier 1.7td 1993 model (ISUZU Engine). I have spent 2 weekends on it but cant get it started after it stalled while driving. Have checked all fuses, relays, wires, timing belt, also connected a direct cable from battery + term to idle stop solenoid (fuel cut-off) it clicked every time I touched the terminal on the solenoid. I also disconnected 1 of the fuel pipe unions from the injector and turned the engine over, no fuel came through. Did the same with 1 pipe union at the fuel injection unit (1 of the 4 pipes) still no fuel came through.Glow plugs warm up normal.
Although the solenoid clicks could it be that the cut off plunger is jammed? Am I right in expecting fuel to come out as mention above? Or I am going in the wrong direction? Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks
Cavalier Diesel wont start - Dynamic Dave
It could be the valve clearances.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=10...0

Cavalier Diesel wont start - Dynamic Dave
Sorry, should have been more specific. Isuzu-engines can also suffer cold-starting problems due to valve seat sinkage

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=91...8
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17024

Sorry about not being specific. On cold evening I started the car without any probs drove about 1.5 miles when the car jerked and stalled half way up a hill. Would not start after that.Had to tow it home. Still doesnt, despite my checking all the obvious bits and pieces as mentioned. I have looked at the threads you highlighted and will read a in more detail. Will also try to find a garage to look into the valves.
Is it also possible that no fuel is coming through although the fuel cut off solenoid clicks when I connect a cable directly from the battery?

Cavalier Diesel wont start - dieselnut
As you say, it sounds like you're not getting any fuel through.
Try rigging up a small container above the pump with some diesel
in linked with a short length of tube.
Loosen the stop solenoid until you get fuel through with no air & tighten up again.
Then crank the engine & hopefully it will start.
Cavalier Diesel wont start - googolplex
I had experience of this on the same engine and it turned out to be a loose connection on the stop solenoid. When the car wouldn't start I used to give the wire leading from the stop solenoid a twiddle and then it would fire with no problem. The AA man diagnosed it & advised me to take it to Vauxhall. But they didn't want to know and tried everything else, even suggesting that I hadn't serviced it properly... Anyway, it worked fine for a while and then the car cut out all of a sudden in traffic. Called the AA. The wire leading from the stop solenoid had just completely severed. The AA man rigged up a replacement and it was fine from there on in.

This doesn't sound like valve clearances to me - I also that also was an issue but doesn't lead to the car cutting out - it just stops it starting easily...
Splodgeface
I actually checked this wire (Black/yellow) at the weekend, its secured with a 10mm nut on the solenoid. It seemed be ok but I couldnt trace it to the other end. It seemed to go into the another unit below it (difficult to trace). I will check this again.
Do you happen to know where the other end connects so i can try and check/relace it?
Thanks for all the replies. I will try both the suggested methods
at the weekend and will update the results.
Sorry to sound so dumb, when I rig up the container, where do I actually connect the tube on the pump? Thanks
Cavalier Diesel wont start - dieselnut
Am not familiar with the Cavalier, but you should find a fuel pipe coming from the fuel filter going to the top of the injection pump. Disconnect this, be prepared for some fuel spilage & connect your temporary fuel supply to the pump.
Cavalier Diesel wont start - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Check you actually have battery voltage at the stop solenoid when you turn on the ignition, Sounds obvious I know. Other possibilty seen a couple of times on Mundano's is the shaft inside the injection pump shears.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Cavalier Diesel wont start - Crinkly Dave
I have had this problem on a 106, fitted with a Lucas stop solenoid. Don't know if this is the same as the Isuzu though.
On the 106 the solenoid was a cylinder screwed into the pump (the solenoid) in which was a piston with a small seal on the bottom.
Energising the solenoid let the piston lift slightly, so that diesel passes into the inlet of the pump.
I have had the seal fail (which means the thing doesn't stop), and the solenoid fail (which means the thing doesn't start, like yours.)

If the system is the same, you can unscrew the solenoid and take out the piston & seal, and replace the solenoid. It should then have fuel.
Real trouble is when the seal breaks up and goes into the pump itself>> Check you actually have battery voltage at the stop solenoid when

Cavalier Diesel wont start - kithmo
When you say you've checked the cam belt, have you checked that it is turning everything and that the timing is OK on the pump and the cam (or cams). It sounds like it may have stripped some teeth off the belt, or jumped if the belt is not tensioned correctly.