Rover 75 Mass air flow sensor - The Stanton Man
Hi Folks this is my first dabble at this forum stuff!!!!

I have just had my W reg 2lt diesel Rover 75 serviced at rover (at a cost of £300) and they said the MAF sensor needs replacing which will cost £270!!! so in the intrest of saving some dosh i have the following questions
1.can i buy one of these?
2 where is it on the engine?
3 can it be changed by a diy'er?
4 doe's it need to be set up on one of rover's computer things
or will the car's onboard engine managment system detect it?
5. what will happen to the engine if i do nothing?
The rover people said that it is disconected.
I have recently bought this car, so someone else must have disconnected it. I presume there is no warning light on because it is disconnected.

thanks any help appreciated
Rover 75 Mass air flow sensor - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
There is a worrying trend for these sensors on all vehicles to fail. The sensor will be situated in the big trunk between the Air filter housing and the engine. If you examine it carefully you will see a manufacturers name on it, hopefully Bosch. Someone like Camberley Auto Factors in the thames valley region may be able to supply it cheaper than Rover. However I have found that sometimes the manufacturer will not allow independents to supply the part. Replacement is a straightforward operation. When you have fitted it start the engine and let it idle so the ecu can recognise it is now getting a signal from the sensor then go for a run. There will be a lingering fault message on the ecu which will need to be cleared next time it is serviced.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Thanks for the after insallition advice. I took the air filter off i found the sensor, tried cleaning and reconnecting it but the car ran worse than befor. I got inpatinent so i went to the rover dealers and got a new one from them, so at least i saved the labour cost (£80). once again thanks
Dave The Stanton Man
Andrew I ment thanks for ALL the advice
The Stanton Man
Rover 75 Mass air flow sensor - DL
Fiddly old job to replace, aren't they?

Glad you 'avoided' the dealer.

Why did you take it to a dealer for a service?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link