cavalier derv cooling problem - samsdodgybloke
My sister has an \'L\' reg Vauxhall Cavalier 1700 Diesel. It is a non-turbo, Vauxhall engine. The hose which connects the radiator to the thermostat housing \'balloons\' after approx. 5 minutes of the engine running. Un screwing the expansion bottle lid releases the pressure. The build up of pressure has forced a small leak in the car\'s radiator, which has been temporarily cured using \'Rad-Weld\'. Today I fitted a new thermostat, re-filled the coolant and ran the car with the heaters on hot, full fan speed. The offending hose still balloons and the system will not bleed itself, or allow me to do it. I can release the build up of pressure via the expansion bottle lid but within a few minutes of the lid being re-tightened the hose again expands. Using the vehicle with the expansion bottle lid slightly undone prevents the pressure building up but this is not a solution. The heaters blow hot and no \'cream cheese\' is visible in any oil way. The expansion bottle does have a constant presence of foaming bubbles, I know this could be the head gasket but couldn\'t it also be the \'Rad-Weld\' foaming slighlty? I know you lot know your stuff, any ideas and how likely (%) is it that the problem is a failing head gasket?
cavalier derv cooling problem - keo-the-dog
mmm.. sounds like head gasket to me (99%)or more, will be VERY surprised if its not, easy job though but get head skimmed
cavalier derv cooling problem - samsdodgybloke
Thanks alot. Got no worries about doing head gasket but can not skim head. Don\'t suppose you know anywhere to get it done in East Anglia? I am based in Lowestoft, Suffolk.
sorry i am in bristol any decent engineering shop sould be able to do it though, not worth missing it and gambling almost always needs a skim and use a spot of paint on all the cam pulleys and a locking tool if you can done an astra one some years ago easy job try a heinz manual only for torque settings and follow them its a 3 stage thing if i remember
cavalier derv cooling problem - Dynamic Dave
try a heinz manual

Is that the 57 varieties edition?
cavalier derv cooling problem - Civic8
Sorry DD but had to correct the spelling here.I think what was meant was Haynes manual(who am I to talk eh)
cavalier derv cooling problem - Dynamic Dave
I see my attempt at humour is wasted on you lot.
Sorry DD but had to correct the spelling here.I think what
was meant was Haynes manual(who am I to talk eh)

no the spelling was deliberate, being ex mechanic i dont like these manuals as we always ended up fixing the job that the diy mechanic started and got wrong usual excuses the heinz book said to do this or that . great if you are competent, waste of time and money if you are not, they give some people false hope that if this guy who wrote the book can do it then so can they , usually with nothing more than a screwdriver , hammer,adjustable wrench. you get the picture.they are however very good for torque settings and the like.
cheers ....keo p.s. excuse punctuation i am no good at it i do my best.
I can understand that some do not read the manual correctly.
which is probably why the decent mechanics end up fixing the problem for them.but it is no reason to run down the manuals
the reasons you have stated about false hope of curing the problem/s is not the case.I don`t know how many manuals have been sold but is a lot.And as not all those that bought one sent their own car to a garage to be repaired.Would consider most had repaired without any problems.I did laugh at the comment made by DD.But wasnt aware it was done on purpose.I don`t think you should have any reason to run down the manual anyway as it probably made work for you which you would not otherwise have got?.
sorry mech1 maybe i am being a bit harsh i personally just dont like diy manuals, its not always the manuals directly but some people who use them seem to think they are a master mechanic because they have a manual. and when in the trade some jobs were made more difficult by the fact that some diy-er had been at the job thinking he was doing it right because the book said to do it that way .
sorry just a point of view excellent for refference as regards torque settings etc and for steadying a table with one short leg.
I would replace the hose first.sounds like it has perished on inside if so it cannot take the pressure? Try that first.
try and get hold of a compression tester diesel one as compression in diesel engine is much higher than petrol , again not sure of the figures but would expect in excess of 400lbs/in any large variation on any cylinder and head gasket is usually cause , though if all a bit low head gasket replacement could show up further problems ie rings bottom end this is worst case scenario mind
I would be inclined to replace the hose as I said before.as it must be weak.failing that it may be the expansion tank cap not releasing pressure.Before going as far as head gasket would look at those points first.
cavalier derv cooling problem - tartanraider
I was having similar problems a few months ago with a renault 5 when someone suggested getting the head crack tested which showed a leaking core plug.Until then I had tried many of the suggestions here without success.Now runs sweet as a nut (touch wood!)