Three weeks to transfer plate - Robbie
I received a 'phone call from the dealer yesterday asking if I'd like my car on 1st March, but with an 04 plate rather than with my personalised number. They will process the transfer for me, but local office of the DVLA are taking three weeks to effect a transfer, so I'll have to wait that much longer.

I find this a disgrace. DVLA are charging £80 to stamp a piece of paper and will take three weeks to do so.
Three weeks to transfer plate - dba
im now awaiting over 3 weeks, so your not alone. i guess they must be extremly busy with all the new reg's
Three weeks to transfer plate - patently
WOW - extra work for VROs around 1st March and 1st September? I bet that came to them as a surprise.

Funny how the backlogs developed at just the same time last year. Spooky!
Three weeks to transfer plate - THe Growler
Lucy you, can be 9 months where I live. Have you tried offering money under the table?
Three weeks to transfer plate - Phil P
I'm confused - when I originally bought my private plate I simply took my documentation to the closest DVLA office and they did the tranfer on the spot - why do you have to wait so long for yours??
Actually, more to the point, I'm collecting my new (used) car on Monday and was planning to nip back over to the DVLA office once again to perform the transfer - can I expect this sort of delay then? Is it to do with reallocating a reg to my old car?
I\'m confused - when I originally bought my private plate I
simply took my documentation to the closest DVLA office and they
did the tranfer on the spot - why do you have
to wait so long for yours??

I can only assume it\'s because the local office is inefficient.

When I last changed my car it was done in a couple of days, although the dealer had to take my old car to the local office before they would do the transfer. I think they were being pink fluffy dice minded on that occasion.

I went to the dealers this morning with the cover note for my new car; for them to photo-copy my disc; and for me to sign the transfer form. The forms etc. will be taken to the local DVLA on Monday morning, and the dealer is hopeful that I may have the car in a few weeks time.

I saw my new car and someone failed to include the 17\" Epsilon alloys when it was ordered. I\'ve agreed to have it with the original 16\" alloys.
Three weeks to transfer plate - pdc {P}
Do you live near to your local DVLA office. As someone mentioned above, it takes them minutes to do if you yourself turn up there. Haven't ever had to provide old car for inspection either.
Unfortunately, no. It's about a seventy mile round trip.
Three weeks to transfer plate - GrumpyOldGit
Also did mine over the counter in 10 minutes.

I'd think it's worth a 70 mile drive.
had to do one today, go down really early in the mornign and be first in the que. speak very nicely to the girl behind the counter and presto it gets done in 10 mins!
I spoke to the dealer this afternoon after reading an earlier post. I suggested that I take the documents myself, but he maintained - after speaking to the woman who deals with new registrations - that it will take at least two weeks.

I might take a chance and 'phone Swansea and see if they can speed up the process for me.
Also did mine over the counter in 10 minutes.

Was this at the start of a new registration index?
Well I collected my new (used) car yesterday and left my part-ex with the dealer (still registered with my private plates). However they let me retain the V5, MOT and tax disc in order to get the reg changed over.

I am slightly concerned though that they detached and filled in the V5/3 Notification Of Sale from my old car's V5, although they did give it back to me. If I still have it in my possession (and haven't signed it myself yet), that shouldn't constitute my having sold it on (in the DVLA's eyes), should it?

Waiting at the moment to receive my insurance certificate for the new car so I can also get it taxed, hopefully tomorrow. Will head over to the DVLA either tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday and let you know how it goes.
I tried to 'phone the local DVLA this morning without success. They operate an automated system which wouldn't allow to speak to a real person.

I then 'phoned Swansea and managed to get through to someone. She told me that it takes seven working days to transfer a cherished plate if it is taken personally to the local office, and ten working days if sent by mail.
Odd - I rang them on Monday and was told if you go in person it will be done there and then. You do however need to wait for the new V5 to arrive in the post a week or two later, if I recall correctly.

My insurance cert didn't arrive this morning so I'll have to wait til tomorrow now to do the deed.
Odd - I rang them on Monday and was told if
you go in person it will be done there and then.
You do however need to wait for the new V5 to
arrive in the post a week or two later, if I
recall correctly.

Swansea informed me that the V5 will be sent out five to six weeks after receiving documentation from the local office.

I'm at a loss to understand why there should be so much difference in what you and I have been told.
Or indeed the experience of those of us who have turned up and 5 minutes later walked off with the transfer having been done.
5-6 weeks?! Yikes!

I am one of those who had a plate transferred in 5 minutes, although at that time there was only one vehicle involved since I'd only just purchased the new reg.

All shall be revealed tomorrow...
5-6 weeks?! Yikes!
I am one of those who had a plate transferred in
5 minutes, although at that time there was only one vehicle
involved since I'd only just purchased the new reg.
All shall be revealed tomorrow...

When I first purchased my plate (1990), it was transferred over the counter.

Apparently, the two new discs, one for each car, will be available in seven working days. I can't see you receiving the V5 over the counter, or within seven days.
Three weeks to transfer plate - Colin M
I have transferred many plates over the counter at Reading local DVLA. It is always done within 20 minutes, often less. You leave the office with a replacement tax disc and a letter authorising you to have a plate made up. The DVLA in Swansea send the amended V5 at a later date. If you own the vehicle and are applying a retained plate, or own both vehicles and effect a transfer, no problem.

If you are removing a personal plate from a vehicle you are selling, it can pose a problem as you may have the plate and tax disc but you certainly won't have the V5 for several weeks afterwards. I have got round this by photocopying the "old" V5 and giving it to the purchaser and completing the buyers details together with backdated sale date when I receive the new V5.

This requires a lot of trust on the part of the buyer as they have to take the car without any part of the V5, something not recommended by any of the "buying a used car" guides.

A dealer taking a car as a trade in would probably not be too happy with this arrangement as they would be unable to sell on the vehicle without convincing the buyer of the integrity of the paperwork.

If you are exporting the vehicle you are taking a risk sending it out of the country prior to receiving the new V5 as the DVLA reserve the right to inspect it.

I have transferred many plates over the counter at Reading local
DVLA. It is always done within 20 minutes, often less. You
leave the office with a replacement tax disc and a letter
authorising you to have a plate made up.

I wish the office at Preston was so efficient.

Perhaps the DVLA could send someone from Reading to give the Preston staff a few lessons in efficiency.
The Manchester office don't even (or at least 12 months ago didn't) give a letter authorising new plates. We don't have much crime up here, so I guess it isn't necessary ;o)
Well I went to the DVLA in Wimbledon yesterday as planned, and though I had to take a ticket and queue 40 minutes, the plate transfer was completed in under 10 minutes as hoped! This included assigning my cherished reg from my old to new (used) car, reassigning the original reg back to the old car and taxing the new car.

Only thing I need to wait for are the V5s through the post, which I was told will take up to 4 weeks.
I've sent an e-mail to Swansea, with a copy of this post, asking why the transfer can be effected within minutes at other offices, but takes weeks at Preston.

I'll post the reply here.
went in to birmingham dvla at 9am this morning and they refused to do it on the spot even tho there were only 3 customers in the whole place.

said it will take up to 1 week or as "there on top of things" then it could be less.

annoying
Received the following reply this afternoon and 'phoned the number given. The automatic message was : "All 160 lines to the DVLA licensing section are busy. Please try later."

Thank you for your e-mail.

Due to the high volumes of enquiries we are currently receiving, there may be some delay in replying.

If your enquiry is of an urgent nature, you may wish to telephone Vehicle Customer Enquiries on Tel: 0870 240 0010.

Thank you for your patience.
Still not heard from the DVLA, and the 'phone line was constantly engaged. Still, not worried as I'm collecting the car on Wednesday. The dealers were 'phoned today that the documents can be collected on Tuesday.
This afternoon I received the following reply from the DVLA:

CUSTOMER REF : V152090

Thank you for your e-mail.

It may help if I explain that it is at the discretion of the DVLA Local Offices whether they process a application over the counter. There is no guarantees given that this will be done.

A application for a plate transfer can take between 4-6 weeks to be completed as there has been an exceptional amount of transfer applications made in the last year.

I hope this clears matters up for you.

Regards

L Webb
Customer Enquiries Vehicles

For further information on Driver and Vehicle Licensing, visit our website
on www.dvla.gov.uk

It's only taken them two weeks to reply, with a few errors as well.