Baffling problem with Yamaha scooter - Greg R
I have a baffling fault with my scooter. It is a Yamaha majesty 125cc automatic transmission that was registered in 2002 with only 17,000 miles.

The problem is that as I accelerate from stand still, I get a judder from the clutch. I have managed to have it temporarily cured whereby the clutch plates have been cleaned. However, as the scooter stands outside in freezing conditions, the judder reappears as bad as before.

The clutch as far as I am aware is a dry clutch. I was wondering if anyone might know how I can tackle this problem.

Another question: are gel bike batteries better than sealed normal batteries. Do they give more cranking power?

Also, how could a car battery be put into a bike. I have space for the battery, but the length of the leads are too short and would not fit onto the cars terminals. But are there modified ones I can buy somewhere?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Baffling problem with Yamaha scooter - Greg R
Any ideas why this is happening.

Thoughts appreciated
Baffling problem with Yamaha scooter - trancer
No idea whats wrong with your clutch as you have already tried cleaning it which is what I would have suggested.

Gel batteries are better as they are maintenance free and safer in that there is no acid to spill or vent tube to deal with. You can't really call them stronger, it all depends on the amp rating, a higher rated lead battery will be stronger than a lower rated gel battery and vice versa.

If a car battery can physically fit you still need to make sure it is within the scooter's amp rating. New leads would be better than trying to extend the current ones. Considering the hassle, why would you want to put a car battery in a scooter?.
Baffling problem with Yamaha scooter - Civic8
Fraid I don`t know much about bikes.But if as I think works the same with a car,You did not say what was on the clutch plates would assume oil.if so once soaked into the plates even a clean won`t cure it. will need replacements and contact surfaces cleaned again.should be ok after that
but as I said Fraid I don`t know much about bikes.Hope that helps.
Baffling problem with Yamaha scooter - mick_the_mod
try posting your question at the newsgroup alt.scooter usually very helpfull
Baffling problem with Yamaha scooter - glowplug
Your Yamaha probably has a centrafugal clutch and a CVT gearbox. I would suggest that it needs stripping, cleaning and inspection to make sure all parts are within manufacturers tolerance. I would guess that a leaking gearbox/engine seal is allowing oil to contaminate the friction linings. Alternatively something is sticking and the cold whether is making it worse.

Steve.
Baffling problem with Yamaha scooter - glowplug
Just for your info, most bikes with manual gearboxs have multiple clutch plates that are bathed in oil (wet clutch) to keep them cool.

Steve.