wheels and tyres. bmw 328i - epaul
I\'ve just had my E36 328i (97 R) lowered with a sports suspension kit, Bilstien (wow what a difference to the drive)what advise i need is, my wheels are 225/45/17 motorsport evo alloys. The rear n/side tends to rub a tad. Im thinking of changing to a brand new set of alloys, non bmw or motorsport or anything like that with 205/40/17 (use to have them on my vr6).
What id like to know will i have to have my speedometer re calibrated to take the differnce in, i would want to go through a speed cam and set it of when for example im doing under 30 and the thing goes off, will i be a mile or 3 off if i change tyre size?
thank you
wheels and tyres. bmw 328i - robZilla
The circumference of your wheels with your current 225/45/17 tyres is 1993mm. With the new 205/40/17 tyres, the circumference would be 1872 - a difference of 121mm, which means your speedo reading will be 6% advanced. Experts will be able to confirm but I think the difference is too large to be ignored (when your speedo says you\'re doing 60, you\'re actually doing ~56-57 - maybe not a bad thing!)
wheels and tyres. bmw 328i - Andy P
If I understand correctly, your tyre is rubbing against the wheel arch? If so, the problem lies with your lowered suspension - it no longer has enough travel. If this is the case, then you\'ll need to either roll the inner lip of the wheel arch, or increase the height of your suspension.

Andy