MOT Failure Question - BMDUBYA
Hi BR's, I have a Mondeo, 1994 L, that has failed the MOT on headlight alignment due to the tester not being able to "get a pattern" from the headlight. I have never heard this before, I was told that this is caused by the headlight turning yellow inside, or condensation, or something wrong with the bulb.Can any of you more mechanically minded tell me if I am being fleeced or is this pukka?
Thanks in advance.
MOT Failure Question - solara
This can be a pukka failure point.
Simple checks would be to ensure bulb is seated correctly (good garages will normally correct this on the fly). If headlamp is yellow, the chrome reflector may be causing the problem.
Might be worth a clean if the lens unclips from headlamp unit.
MOT Failure Question - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

My mondeo's headlamps have gone yellow i was told it is due to the material and age.

It has not failed a mot as yet fingers crossed.

Best Regards
Martin Winters
MOT Failure Question - Malcolm_L
Can also be down to bulb geometry - Autoexpress ran a test on headlamp bulbs and several bulbs failed the beam test.
IIRC, Hella and Bosch were among the failures - best bulbs by far were Phillips.
MOT Failure Question - BB
It is likely that the bulb is not located correctly.
Take the bulb out and put it back in again ensuring that the bulb and clips are sitting correctly.

My Golf failed with a simililar problem a few years back and the MOT tester wouldn't touch it. Took me 30 seconds to find that the spring clip was not engaged.
MOT Failure Question - T Lucas
I seem to remember that you could buy the small lenses that go inside the headlamps because with use they would turn yellow and stop you getting the correct pattern.
If I change the bulb, is there anyway I can check to see if this fixes the problem? I have got the car back now, as I was going to get the lights from a scrappy to fit them myself.
MOT Failure Question - solara
this link might help as a rough guide...
www.via.gov.uk/about_us/contact_services/publicati...f
Thanks everyone.