Citroen Xsara Clutch/Gearbox - David Horn
Hi,

I've got a Citroen Xsara 1.9TD, 1999. Anyway, the gearbox has always been a bit notchy since I got it (3 months ago) but I asssumed that that was just the car generally. IT's done 60,000 miles.

I always found it difficult to get a smooth gearchange, especially from 1st - 2nd and put it down to my driving... I'm not harsh on the clutch or anything, it just seems to be the way it is.

As of today, the gear change has become extremely smooth (like a really good auto) yet I haven't changed my driving style at all. Not only that, the gearlever felt like it has immersed in oil and went straight into any gear I tried with very little effort.

Is this a: a clutch faullt or b: a gearbox fault or c: my driving?

Or should I thank my graces and hope it carries on like this. The clutch is not slipping, I tried to move off in third at 2500RPM with the handbrake on and stalled nicely. The car has a 3 year warranty so I'm not terribly bothered... I'm more worried about it falling apart a long way away from the garage.

Thanks!
Citroen Xsara Clutch/Gearbox - Peter D
At a guess your clutch was disengaging completely and the auto adjuster has kicked in a notch and saved the day. I am assuming your model has a cable operated clutch. Regards Peter
mine too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - xsaradriver
I own 1998 xsara x. I have the same "problem" when going from 1st to 2nd very notchy then ok 2nd - 3rd upwards. Sometimes have to fight to put it in reverse too. Heard elsewhere xsara gearchanges like stick in bucket of tennis balls. Worse some days more than others. My clutch went at 49'000 miles not very happy since part was £90 ex vat total bill plus labour and vat more than £400. Had crash on sat so hope to get it written off and try another car. Had it two years.
mine too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - David Horn
Out of curiosity, would the autoadjuster, err, adjusting, sound like a loud metallic twang. I heard one of those yesterday.
mine too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - David Horn
I'm also the first victim of the cold snap - I went out to the car about 30 minutes ago and as I opened the door the handle broke off in my hand. The two legs sticking out the back have snapped clean off - presumably after becoming brittle from the cold.

Fortunately, the garage I bought it from has agreed to replace it for free... looks an evil job as part of the handle is still stuck inside the door. Still, it might sort out the rattle from the door trim.