Single headlight cars - Thommo
I have a weekend of driving ahead of me, about 600 miles, so I thought I might indulge in my new hobby, counting the number of cars on the road with a single working headlight. Seems to have been an explosion of damaged vehicles on the road since the traffic patrols disappeared but the single headlight seems the current fave.

1 point for one car, double if the car has the one working light continously on full beam.

Start Friday 17:00, finish Sunday 24:00.

Single headlight cars - 3500S
Hmm, I hate playing this game, I think I'd lose count.

My favourite game is 'spot the broken brake light'

1 point for a car with a centre light, 2 for a car with separate brake lights to rear lights, 10 for a car with a single brighter rear light when they brake.

With the 10 point car an extra point for every minute you can drive behind it hoping you'll see their brake light come on.
Single headlight cars - Clanger
Follwed a Mk IV Golf through Darlington yesterday with only the high-level brake light working. Seemed to have a useful feature that illuminated the outer sections of the high-level light permanently if the normal brake lights weren't working.

very thoughtful, VW

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Single headlight cars - CM
You would not have done very well today as I think that everycar in front of me had no brake light. How many times did I nearly prang them - just once!
Single headlight cars - teabelly
Triple points if they have one failed headlight but they have their foglights on because they can't see where they're going!
teabelly
Tea,

LIKE IT. Now adopted in to the rules, triple points if one head light but fog lights on.

Broken brake lights too easy, you hit several hundred points in about 30 miles.
Single headlight cars - PoloGirl
I'd win this - there's loads of cars with these lights in Wolverhampton... I think they share the bulbs out with the brain cells and fathers for the kids of teenage mothers - just not quite enough to go round!
Single headlight cars - Tony N
Tea,
LIKE IT. Now adopted in to the rules, triple points
if one head light but fog lights on.
Broken brake lights too easy, you hit several hundred points in
about 30 miles.

What about if the foglight opposite the blown headlight is also blown (I kid you not...)- how many points???
Single headlight cars - SteveH42
Spotted a classic yesterday. I was following a police car with a 1st-gen Micra coming the other way, headlight missing completely. It would appear that Plod didn't notice as he just carried on his merry way.

Another interesting one was a car that seemed to have neither working brake lights or indicators - at least it suddenly slowed then took a turn with neither indication...
Single headlight cars - runboy
Another interesting one was a car that seemed to have neither
working brake lights or indicators - at least it suddenly slowed
then took a turn with neither indication...

What, the police car? ;-)
Single headlight cars - Davy_S {P}
Do you get double points for seeing a police car with one headlight working?

--
Davy S.

Oops, where did that screw go!!
Single headlight cars - pdc {P}
Do you get double points for seeing a police car with
one headlight working?

Have you ever pulled up at traffic lights and had the guts to tell the coppers in the van next to you that their brake lights are obviously not working? You would have thought that they would be grateful wouldn't you? The coppers in Manchester aren't tho. They just tell you not to be lippy, and don't even bother to get out and check. Wonder if they said the same to their Inspector once he had been informed of fault?
Single headlight cars - SteveH42
There appears to be a rather nasty element in the Manchester police... A friend was telling me about the time he'd broken down and a police van rolled up and effectively told him to move the car that instant or they'd give him and his friends a good hiding. Shame there are always a few bad apples...
Single headlight cars - LongDriver {P}
If you mean 6 points, then yes, probably...
Single headlight cars - Ian (Cape Town)
I'd love to play, but it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.
I've seen minibus taxis driving along at 11pm with the sole lighting coming from one front parking light ...
Any one in africa is excluded from the game. If the minibuses in Cape Town are anything like the ones in Lagos any light at all should get the driver a community safety award...
Single headlight cars - BazzaBear {P}
Could someone let me know how many points I get for the Ford Ka I saw the other day:

When she braked, her left brake light came on, and so did her right indicator. When she indicated right, her right brake light flashed. Simple case of crossed wires you think?
Bit mroe complicated, coz if she indicated right, whilst braking, then her left brake light stayed on, but kept getting brighter and dimmer, her right brake light flashed, and her right indicator didn't come on at all.

So, come on, how many points do I get?
Single headlight cars - Stargazer {P}
I regularly see a car like this....crazy thing is that it would pass the MOT as they only test one light function at a time. But in real use the brake and indicator lights are in use regularly together and odd effects as you describe occur.

Ian L.
Single headlight cars - borasport20
When she braked, her left brake light came on, and so
did her right indicator. When she indicated right, her right brake
light flashed. Simple case of crossed wires you think?
Bit mroe complicated, coz if she indicated right, whilst braking, then
her left brake light stayed on, but kept getting brighter and
dimmer, her right brake light flashed, and her right indicator didn't
come on at all.

This sort of thing used to be a no-cost option on all Ladas over three weeks old I seem to remember, but I did stop a woman in Sainsbury's car park the other week and point out she had the same problem with her 52 Renault.

91-98 Astra's rarely seem to have more than one functioning rear light.

--
Bora - what Bora ?
Single headlight cars - Ian (Cape Town)
If
the minibuses in Cape Town are anything like the ones in
Lagos ...

Ours are bad, but nowhere NEAR Lagos standards! :) I go to the Lagos and Port Harcourt a few times a year, and suddenly discover religion again after 2 minutes on the highways!
(Out of deference to this family channel, i will not mention certain premises in Victoria Island where all the expats seem to meet ...)
Single headlight cars - CM
>> If
>> the minibuses in Cape Town are anything like the ones
in
>> Lagos ...
>>
Ours are bad, but nowhere NEAR Lagos standards! :) I go
to the Lagos and Port Harcourt a few times a year,
and suddenly discover religion again after 2 minutes on the highways!
(Out of deference to this family channel, i will not mention
certain premises in Victoria Island where all the expats seem to
meet ...)

Once took a 7 hour bus ride when in Java and IIRC we had 6 crashes! Nothing too serious but just a few glancing blows against oncoming vehicles.
Single headlight cars - John R @ Work {P}
Single headlight, you'r lucky...

It's common to see cars with no lights on at all !!! (at night).

No amount of flashing, on/offing of my lights or shouting to warn them seems to get through. Forgetful or thick?

Do they not realise they can't see their instrument panel or is it they just never look at it?

PS. My lights all work corectly, (I checked ;-)

John R
Single headlight cars - Dynamic Dave
Do they not realise they can't see their instrument panel or
is it they just never look at it?

Some cars instrument panels light up with the ignition key - not the headlights. Some 90's Citroen's for example.
Single headlight cars - Bromptonaut
Some cars instrument panels light up with the ignition key -
not the headlights. Some 90's Citroen's for example.

This is indeed so, visibilty of instruments much improved. There is a huge clue as to light operation on the dash in the form of one green for sides and two for dipped. Would that that the Xant had the same system, the km marks are grey on grey and near invisible unless the lights are on.
Single headlight cars - Welliesorter
How many points for being followed by a BMW whose headlamps were off but surrounded by an eerie blue glow (not sure whether neon or diffused LEDs) and front fog lamps on?

Single headlight cars - DavidHM
How many points then for a Nova where the brake lights don't work but the indicators light up every time he dabs the brakes?
Single headlight cars - Mondaywoe
How many points for - either - tractors with white lights shining at the back or tractors pulling trailers that don't have lights at all / have lights so plastered in mud you can't see them / lights that come off and on like a Christmas tree as a result of poor connections/ bad earths etc.

Sorry - my fav hobbyhorse!

Graeme
Single headlight cars - barney100
Worse than single headlights.....trhe deaded rear foglights when there is no fog at all on a dark night....this is a real annoyance.
And the result is...

I disqualified myself for cheating. The M25 was jammed on Saturday so my diversion took me up Slough High Street, easier to spot the cars with highlights there than without...
Single headlight cars - helicopter
Highlights - I've heard of hairdressers cars but thats ridiculous....
Telephone call from Mr. Freud, Telephone call from Mr. Freud...

Oh its for me...