Omega dualfuel - welshy
Have a friend who is offering his "X" plated Omega . Its a 2.0i ecotec but has the added bonus of being gas powered . The actual conversion was done when the car was new by Vauxhall , apparently the car is called a Vauxhall Omega dualfuel . The car is allways serviced when needed , and is in very good condition . I would like to know are these good cars , what sort of mpg can I get out of this . Hope to hear your comments soon please ?
Omega dualfuel - Dynamic Dave
I would have thought the 2.0i would be very underpowered for a large car, such as the Omega. MPG won't be that great, but LPG is approx half the price of unleaded - therefore if you only get 20mpg on petrol, you'll get the equivalent of 40mpg on LPG.

Don't forget though, you'll lose quite a bit of boot space as the gas tank is situated where the spare tyre would normally reside, thus the spare tyre has to sit in the boot, rather than under it.
Omega dualfuel - welshy
Thanks for the reply Dave . Im trying to find out more on the Omega and especially the Dualfuel model on the internet, but im not having much success . I was hoping that someone on here might own one . In what respect is this facelift Omega different to the older type, i understand the dashboard has a different layout ?
Omega dualfuel - Sooty Tailpipes
The facelift ones aremuch more reliable, also, the October 1997-1999 pre facelift ones are better that earlier ones.

When looking on the parts system, it would seem that most parts have been altered for the chassis no. Y.........facelift models, giving the impression that they made an effort to sort out all niggles of the pre-facelift ones..

Omega dualfuel - welshy
Thanks for the replys , does anyone here drive a new style Omega . Have anyone had any problems , also does anyone actually drive a gas powered Vauxhall .
There's a yahoo group..

autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/omega_owners/

There are drivers of new shape ones on there, but I doubt there are any dual fuel ones. They were more popular as taxis, I have seen a couple with taxi plates on a few years ago (denoted by a sticker on the back)
Omega dualfuel - PST
Welshy

I drive a facelift X Reg 3.0 Omega. Personally I wouldn't get another one and am currently looking to offload mine but I accept that it's pretty good value for money due to its high depreciation and you get lots of toys.

Driving wise I find it has dreadful grip in anything other than the dry (and I've had RWD before) but its saving graces are that it is quick in a straight line and has a huge boot. I think if you consider the amount of weight a 2.0 will have to lug around and the robbed boot space your taking away to of its major pluses.

Do a search on Omegas on this forum to get an idea of reliability and common problems for yourself.

Finally, I saw a big add in the Saturday Telegraph for someone knocking out new ones (assume new registered as they've stopped manufacture) from £11995 - that could be for a 2.2 CD which doesn't sound bad for a new car plus 3 years VX warranty.

Paul
Omega dualfuel - PST
Just to show I can spell from time to time, I meant to say...

"...and the robbed boot space you're taking away two of its major plus points"
Omega dualfuel - Marcos{P}
I recently had a Omega 2.2 on hire. It has to be the most gutless car I have driven since my Chevette 1300. It was simply painfull, overtaking took guts, and pulling out onto busy roundabouts was life threatening.
I have heard the 2.5 and 3.0 V6'S are much better but it is such a heavy car that anything below 2.5 is underpowered.
What tyres do you have PST?
I will avoid them. I have found my Omega's grip and roadholding to be astonishing (at a price of about £400-£600 + for tyres) compared to any other car I have owned/driven...(which I admit is not that great in diversity) but nevertheless........
Omega dualfuel - PST
Sooty - I've got the 235/45/17s. It's a long story (and I can't find the posts I made here before) but in summary:

I bought new Goodyear GSD3s, got tracking etc done by Micheldever. After that there was a vibration at speed. Micheldever investigated and eventually swapped the tyres for a brand new set of Michelin Pilots. No complaints with Micheldever - they did more than was reasonable.

Upshot is a vibrating Omega since about May 03. Even despite the new tyres I've found the grip in the wet dreadful - I regularly do 15mph round roundabouts. Traction control is an afterthought - I lose traction before it cuts in...

Tramlining is also starting to make itself noticeable again.

The bottom line is I've just started to lose faith in the car's safety. I don't go zooming round bends or roundabouts but I find I've got to be on 110% alert when driving in anything but the dry and braking, cornering and accelerating all seem compromised by this lack of grip.
Oh, I have a late pre facelift Elite with the same tyres, but the smaller/older 225/55 ZR16 that they had before the new shape.
Maybe the later ones are just too wide and the weight is spread too 'thinly' on the road?? Thanks, for the info.