BMW 320D driving position query. - fullale
I'm not sure if this would count as a "technical" matter but I'm thinking of buying a 320D soon. The foot pedals are slightly offset to the right and while both I and my wife were impressed with the car, I'm worried that this might put strain on her back (she has a history of back problems) on a long journey. Are there any 320D owners who can give me their thoughts on this? Also, any other feedback on the car would be appreciated. Thanks.
BMW 320D driving position query. - Dude - {P}
As an owner who suffers from quite severe lower spinal problems, the offset driving position in the E46 3 series is IMHO largely overstated, as you can largely negate the problem by keeping your left foot on the transmission tunnel foot rest.

To date the longest journey I have taken is approx 400 miles, which was completed without any problem or discomfort. I did opt for the adjustable lumber supports, which I can recommend, but do regret not going for the sports seats, which are definitely more supportive.

As for the car itself, the performance has been great and 50 mpg obtainable on motorway runs without any problem. If you have not already done so, I would read H.J`s report on the 320d Compact in the road test section of this forum, which should dispel any doubts you may have of the model.
BMW 320D driving position query. - Dalglish
fullale:
forum search button may bring up many previous posts on this subject.
also directories on left
www.honestjohn.co.uk/directories/DirUrl.htm?blk=Di...l

has link under misc/uncategorised ergonomics/seats
www.drivingergonomics.com/

and maybe also have link to
www.car-seat-data.co.uk/

but may or maynot help you.
BMW 320D driving position query. - NARU
I too have back problems, but I've found in practise that the BMW 3-series does not set it off for me. I did upgrade to sports heated seats, and I'd recommend them for anyone else with a back problem - I've sometimes felt better getting out of the car than I did getting in (after 50 miles with the heat on medium).
BMW 320D driving position query. - PeterT
I have been driving a 320D auto with standard seats for the past 20k miles without any discomfort. The driving position is fine and I haven't noticed the pedal offset at all. I get aprox. 40 mpg overall and the extra torque makes the auto box work very well.

My only gripe is engine noise at tickover as I was used to the 6 cyl. petrol engines.

BMW 320D driving position query. - Mickey Dora
Hi Fullale,just a thought on your query;have you considered the 320D with an autobox? The amount of extra strain on the back on a journey caused by using the clutch is considerable. I have have driven a friends 320D compact auto and it is so good that I could happily live with it, despite being a dyed in the wool self-changer. Good luck anyway,MD.
BMW 320D driving position query. - Dude - {P}
I test drove the auto when I bought my car and came to the conclusion that the 2 litre motor is`nt really powerful enough and the fuel economy drops considerably which negates any benifit in buying a diesel version.
BMW 320D driving position query. - formerfarmer
I've had a 320d se since last November. I found the seats and slightly offset pedals perfectly satisfactory.
The car has lived upto its reputation in virtually all respects,but I have found it needs plenty of revs to get the turbo's benefit when overtaking. The extra gizmos which I had thought unneccessary ie climate control and reversing sensors are now more than welcome!
ps I hope you are able to get a decent trade in on your previous model, I worked damned hard with little success when I bought second hand from a main BMW garage.