Diesel or petrol for my new car? - Giles
Hi,

I am 18, been driving a petrol VW Polo for just under a year. Unfortunately, yesterday the beast perished, and may not be coming back. I am looking for a new car, but am not sure what to get and whether to go diesel (turbo) or petrol. I know diesel is more economic (more mpg) and has a lot of torque in low gears, but I don't want anything that is sluggish at higher speeds.
I'd like my car to be stylish and a good performer, but not to cripple me with insurance and fuel bills. I like the Seat Ibiza Cupra, but I think insurance will be a b*****d.

Any suggestions/ comments on choice or on the diesel/ petrol thing?

Thanks a lot,

Giles
Re: Diesel or petrol for my new car? - honestjohn
I already answered this guy's e-mail, suggesting a SEAT Arosa 1.4TDi which should make plenty of sense to him at £8,995. I did point out that they take around 6,000 miles to run in.

HJ
Re: Diesel or petrol for my new car? - Ashley
Hi Giles,

My cousin just this week bought a brand new Ibiza Cupra 1.8T. He is 21 and has 5 years n.c.b. He is paying £1200 a year insurance, still want an Ibiza Cupra ?

Also, the standard suspension setup is rock solid and the rear parcel shelf rattles and the car's only done 130 miles, otherwise it's a nice car.

I own a 'S' reg 1.9D Polo, which i'm getting 650 miles to a tank of diesel which costs £28 to fill up, not bad 'eh ? Also, there's not a single rattle or squeak from it at 24,000 miles. You can't have fuel economy and superb
performance in a diesel car so what hj advised you to buy gets my vote as well.

Regards,

Ash
Re: Diesel or petrol for my new car? - Giles
Yeah, I know you replied HJ but I couldn't get the post thing to work, so I tried again, and it did. Seat Arosa maybe, but I'll keep looking. I'm also wondering about something 4X4 ish cos my area floods a lot and the roads are full of holes.

Giles