735i - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
One of my regulars has asked for my opinion on a car he is considering buying. It's a 735i, auto, E reg 110k, iffy history but the dealer will give a years mechanical warranty and a fresh MOT. I have advised him that it will be thirsty and expensive to repair. Asking price is £2000, I feel that is VERY strong as I have seem them locally at £250 -£300. Any thoughts before I go back to him?
Thank you gentlemen.
P.S. DW no offence re C & L-R
Re: 735i - David Woollard
Andrew,

You know the score on this already. It could be in the scrapyard within three months if a few unlucky problems turn up. Ah but the warranty you say.....get him to look at the small print and conditions. Nobody can give a full warranty on such a complex vehicle at £2000, they'd go bankrupt in weeks.

I can just imagine the sort of dealer selling this, bet he's taking over £1200 profit at this price.

If the guy really wants one he should look privately around £750 and take a chance on a few months fun before giving it away when the head gasket goes.

What would it make at auction....£500 or less??

Re: BX & LR. Absolutely none taken, at least you left the Xantia out of it or the whole fleet would be down the pan!

David
Re: 735i - ladas are cool
i have been to my local auction today, and a 735i went under the hammer for £425, 89.000 miles with part history, 88 (F).
735i LPG!!! - Guy Lacey
Yes - very pricey but *if* genuine then a prime candidate 4 LPG conversion.
Re: 735i LPG!!! - John Slaughter
Guy

The risks of expensive failure outlined above surely indicate that spending a substantial sum on an LPG conversion isn't worth it?

Regards

John
Re: 735i - Andrew Bairsto
Look to see if the discs are ok .that it starts and ticks over cleanly plus the usual oil leaks and oil in water and water in oiletc. The bodies are pretty rust free but the auto box needs good coat of looking at .There is no reason why it should not do another 100k.Most parts are very reaonable at eurocar parts.
And I am sure you can get the price down.