Help - What Car? - Rashid
I thought buying a car would be fun, i\'m just frustrated and fed up. I was going to buy a 4x4, (easy now people, calm down, deep breaths) but due to the extorniate running costs, i\'ve got in narrowed down to...

VW Golf MKIV
Audi A3 (Old Shape) I need 5 doors.
Audi A4
BMw 3 Series

Now all advice would be greatly appreciated,
I\'m currently driving a MKIII Golf GTI, so i\'d like a bit of poke, safety is important, and obviously a good drive.

Budget is ideally £11000.

Cheers chaps and chapettes.
Help - What Car? - Downesi1
octavia rs ?
seat leon cupra ?
focus 107st ?
new megane ?
Thank you for your informative suggestions, but let me reiterate; 'i've got it narrowed down to...

VW Golf MKIV
Audi A4
BMW 3 Series'

Help - What Car? - DavidHM
Out of those, I'd try and get a three year old (nearly), high-ish mileage (70k) Audi A4 1.8t - new shape.

However looking at the cars suggested (except the new Mégane which, good though it is, is a family hatchback and not too quick) you'd probably get more performance, handling and choice for your money, as well as a lower mileage.
Help - What Car? - Phoenicks
I wouldnt be to sure about the A4 - it sheds value far quicker than the other choices.

The MK4 Golf is nice but it seems VW are having a tough quality time. Dont go for the V5 as the engines are not that great with mileage. Go 1.8T and chip it or V6. Quite expensive for any problems on the V6 though. New model will start to affect old models values tho.

3 Series is nice, but depends on the engine choice. A 320 or above is the best, and for £11k you should be able to get a 323. nice.

regards A3's the new model will soon start to make old values suffer like the golf. Nice car and certainly not regrettable. Will hold value better than the Golf. Easy to sell.

I'd go A3 1.8T or 323i joint first (probably 323 on balance due to nicer engine) then Golf and lastly A4.
Help - What Car? - peterb
Check the spec. of any 2nd hand A4 carefully. IIRC certain "essesntials" such as folding rear seats, CD player etc. were an optional extra when the car came out 2-3 years ago.
Thank you for your informative suggestions, but let me reiterate; 'i've
got it narrowed down to...
VW Golf MKIV
Audi A4
BMW 3 Series'

Well good luck then, there should be plenty of any of those about, Golfs seem to have a bad rep at the moment thou.
Good luck.
here you go .....
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=18...0
Help - What Car? - peterb
V reg would be the old shape, I suspect.
Thanks for everyones input.

Golfs rep has gone down, but i still really like them.
Audi's v nice, but would prefer newer version, partly due to wanting to have the best chance for future resale.

Have just seen a very nice BMW 323 on a T plate, offers just under 9K but wait for it 92000 miles.

Too much?

When i bought my Golf it had 92000 and was only 3 years old.
Second time lucky perhaps?

Help - What Car? - nick
If you want poke, what about an Impreza turbo? Baseball caps are optional but much more fun to drive with better handling than any of the others mentioned so far.
Help - What Car? - Jase
Rashid,

I can't understand why you were so quick to knock Downesi1's suggestions. For instance, a Leon Cupra has 5 doors, 180HP + 6 speed gearbox, 6CD Changer, climate control, drives much better than a Golf and has the same dashboard as an Audi A3. IMHO it also looks better than the 5 door Audi A3. A 2001/2002 model should fit into your budget nicely.

You should at least try one before buying an inferior Golf.

Perhaps you could report back here afterwards?

Good luck anyway.

Help - What Car? - Hawesy1982
I agree with Jase, whilst it seems you are aiming at semi-prestige/prestige cars with VW, Audi and BMW, remember that SEAT is also from the same group as VW and Audi, the Leon looks better than any Golf IMO, should be at least as reliable and you will get far more for your money.
Help - What Car? - Phoenicks
I'm only speaking my opinion on this but perhaps he knocked them back as he'd already put them out of contention for his next car. I suppose it can be inferred as a 'i know better than you' syndrome...

By the sound of his guesses he is looking for cars with a more upmarket image wheres the 4 suggested have none - more value for money yes, but not as keen on image, therefore affecting resale value.

I can understand why he would discount the other 4 suggestions as personally i feel they have no 'personality'.

On a car knowledge basis i totally agree with your thoughts on the Seat if i was using my head but, and this is increasingly common on this forum, suggestions are given for car purchases on the basis of what the head says not what the heart shouts. There also seems to a be a large concentration on what great value they are to purchase rather than how much they're not worth when it comes to sale time. I would say all Downesie1' suggestions are poor at retaining their value.
Help - What Car? - Ivor E Tower
You're beggining to sound like accountants now, just looking at residual values. Some people like to buy cars because they like them, they fit comfortably in them, they want a "prestige" badge etc etc.
Personal opinion again, but i'd rather a quick Leon than a quick Golf anyday, regardless of who it is made by and how much cheaper the SEAT is! (But yes, the extra few £1000 in my backpocket would help too)

At the risk of entering an 'image car - why?' argument, i'll leave it there! :-P

Phoenicks got it spot on.

I didn't mean to be so dismissive to Downesi1 but i had at that time ruled out the cars he suggested.

However due to the support for Seat i will be taking another look/drive at the Leon.

Earlier today drove a 323 which although very smooth and fairly nippy just didn't feel right, not sure if it's very me.
It was silver, (liked) with a green leather, (didn't like) interior, so it kind of put me off the whole package. I'm used to small hatchbacks so tomorrow i will check out the A4 and see if i have an aversion to saloons.

With regards to the Golfs, everytime i see one on the road, (very often, i know) i do think, what a nice car' and i really do love the colour of the dashboard.

Perhaps i should stop now before you all think i'm a big girl.

The point i'm making is yes the car must be mechanically good/ have a nice engine, but sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference.
Fair enough mate, at the end of the day it's you who's going to be spending your money and time on/in it, so just go for your favourite! Glad you've brought the Leon back in as a possible tho, keep us updated
Help - What Car? - jc33
Although it is in your 'dismissed' list, I feel I have to champion the Focus ST170. I am a little biased because I have one but consider these points.

1. Universally accepted to be the best handling car in its class (and that's just the standard models, the ST has up-rated suspension, brakes, tyres etc.) The Golf and its derivatives, however, are infamous for handling like boats.
2. Faster than any Golf, bar the V6 4Motion or R32 but they're in a different price bracket. As fast as the Beemer 323.
3. Cheap to service and repair.
4. Tons of equipment as standard.

I accept that the Golf traditionally has a reputation for being very refined and well-built (although even that has been thrown into doubt of recent months/years), but interestingly, in the recent Top Gear User Satisfaction Survey, of all the Golf based cars, the one they found to be the worst was the Golf.