Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - elisa1
Yet again our Vauxhall Carlton.
Last week our Cam belt broke on the vauxhall I thought initially that it would just be replacing the belt and that it would be OK. After stripping the car down we then realised that the cam shaft was actually seized.
A few questions.
What caused this to sieze?
What sort of cost are we looking at for repair? My Dad and brother are both mechanics so although I won\'t be paying for labour I am wondering how expensive the parts are likely to be, I understand that the cylindar head gasket will have to be replaced at the same time.
Part of me thinks we should scrap the car but we have had alot of work done on it recently i.e new clutch, alternater etc.
What do others think?
Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - Aprilia
If cam has siezed there has likely been a failure of lubrication to the cam.
To be honest it is unlikely to be economic to repair the car. I guess an old Carlton is only worth a couple of hundred ££; the parts are likely to cost this. Only other option is to use secondhand parts.
Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - Dynamic Dave
IIRC, this occasionally used to happen with the Mk1 Astra engine. In the Haynes manual it mentioned having to drill a 3mm hole in the end of the camshaft and cam housing - before changing the camshaft, I should note. Difficult to explain without a picture, but when the old camshaft was removed you were left with a half moon shape in the cam housing. Quite how you managed to convince the drill not to wander from the camshaft and just drill into the soft aluminium of the housing is anyone's guess though. The drill hole was to provide extra lubrication to the cam bearing.

Might be worth considering getting a cylinder head off of a scrap engine down the breakers.

No idea of your location, but I can recommend F.J.Payne & Son Ltd, in Enysham, Oxon as a v.good engine rebuilder.
www.fjpayne.com (no connection to them, btw)
Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - orack
Had this problem ,Its causd by a partialy blocked oil pick up straner in sump(£15.00 from MD if i rember) Cam carer&cam can be found at breakers
D
Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - itsbenny01
hiya

sorry to stray from the subjet abit ive got a vectra via seized cam

am i right in thinking it the same prob just brought the car
from what i know it was run out of oil then filled then a little while later it went wrong old owner replaced cam and its gone again so would it be a case of just cleaning or renewing the sump pickup and oil filter
if you could reply via jbennett1234@msn.com
would be great
if i solve it i will post

thanks jas
Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - Civic8
>>Had this problem ,Its causd by a partialy blocked oil pick up straner in sump(£15.00 from MD if i rember) Cam carer&cam can be found at breakers

As DD mentioned,it was nothing to do with oil strainer pickup,unless it had not had an oil change in some time they were never a problem,only oil feed to cam
--
Steve
Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - itsbenny01
the cam shaft carrier was blown through with an air line and oil way seemed ok from what old owner said
starting to get bad feeling bout this one

am i right n saying the oil light only shows oil present but not pressure status ?? so it could be all the crap sucked up when it was low hence causing low pressure to the top of the engine or am i clicking my red shoes and hoping to much lol

Cam Shaft seized....Vauxhall Carlton - Dynamic Dave
am i right n saying the oil light only shows oil
present but not pressure status ??

Depends which oil light you're refering to.

The light that looks like an oil can with a drop of oil coming from the spout works off a pressure switch.

If you have a similar light but with a wavy line underneath it (normally only fitted on higher spec models) then this is the oil low level warning light.