Vectra Ecotec Diesel-non starting - Quinny
My 97 Vectra diesel has just developed a non starting policy when cold.

I came to start it at work yesterday at about 4.30pm,(outside temp about 5 degC) and it turned over but wouldn't fire.Normally it starts on the first turn of the key.I tried it a few times,but still the same problem.So I called out my breakdown service,(see end of thread) and waited for them to come.After 40 minutes,I tried it again,and it fired up,albeit it reluctantly.So I cancelled my breakdown call out,and went home.

Came to start it this morning at 4.45am,(outside temp 1.5degC) and it fired up straight away.Went to work,and when it was time to go home at 1.15pm,the same problem as yesterday materialised.

This time I called the breakdown co out,and waited for them to come.When he arrived,a couple of turns,and away it went.Now,he said that the glow plug light hadn't come on,and then said it should do,however,according to the Vauxhall handbook,the glow plugs on these engines only come on if the outside temp is very low,which I told him.But he was adamant.He also said that it was having trouble starting because of cold diesel!!!!!

So what could be the problem,and has anyone else had this trouble?

As for the breakdown company.......Their yard is only 800 yards from my works yard,but it still took them 45 minutes to attend!!!!!!
Vectra Ecotec Diesel-non starting - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes ,the glow plugs will only come on at v.low temps,but the most common problem on the ecotec diesels for poor cold start is air leaks on fuel lines;either the spill off flexi return pipes to injectors are porous (easy to replace)or injector seals are leaking in air (long & difficult job ,requires camshaft removal)
Vectra Ecotec Diesel-non starting - wemyss
Presume you have the Ecotec diesel engine as I believe the first Vectras had the Isuzu. If so forget about the glow plugs as they rarely come on and change those rubber spill pipes for about a fiver with the new type. As Elekie say they become porous even though they look OK. If you go to a vauxhall dealer they will automatically tell you its the injector seals which is an expensive job.
Incidentally as I reported earlier my local independant garage man told me he had done one without removing the camshaft.
Awful job he said but managed it.....
Vectra Ecotec Diesel-non starting - kithmo

As for the breakdown company.......Their yard is only 800 yards from my works yard,but it still took them 45 minutes to attend!!!!!!

They don't all sit in their "yard" waiting for you to call, they're out on other calls.
Vectra Ecotec Diesel-non starting - mgk luton beds
pull off your leak off pipe (cloth braded pipe running from number one inj to the pump) at the pump end and look to see if there is black engine oil inside it(touch it on a white piece of rag/paper!)if so chances are that inj seal is leaking but still change the leak off pipes first taking MUCH care that you dont break them short off the inj(if you do them spike the rubber all the way round and piece by piece remove it(long job))
if you have just had a service done them poss the filter housing is leaking,seal/cracked housing
you can also try clamping off pipes over night to find leak
hope this helps
ex vaux tech
fbillytom@ntlworld.com
Vectra Ecotec Diesel-non starting - stackman
My blessed Vectra has the same problem, demonstrating all the symptoms of air in the fuel system. We replaced the bleed pipes but the problem remains.

Like the original poster of this thread the car starts right on the button if it is cold enough for the glow plugs to light up.

Can someone explain why this should make a difference if the problem is due to air in the system ?

Where should we check next to cure this problem ?

I need to sell the car but can't until this problem is resolved.
Vectra Ecotec Diesel-non starting - billy25
Like the original poster of this thread the car starts right on the button if it is cold enough for the glow plugs to light up.

would it not be possible to set the operating temperature of the glow-plugs a little bit higher,?.

billy.