Toyota Avensis D-4D - Mad Maxy
Seeing HJ's final instalment of his long-term test of an Avensis D-4D reminded me that I nearly bought one a few months ago. Needed something bigger than a Golf and fancied a used Audi A4 Avant or a Merc C class estate. But a new Toyota, even with worse residuals made more economic sense - lower outlay up front and slightly lower cost of ownership over three years. And that's mainly how SWMBO saw it too.

Test drove all three and quite liked the Toyota, especially as it's got nice standard kit, dripping with airbags and is well finished. Should be reliable too. Even went for another test drive - not the same car as the first - and was prepared to do a deal... but got cold feet on account of some creaks and rattles and the lack of steering feel. Felt that this could be a car that would really irritate me after six months.

Drove straight to the Audi dealer and started a process that ended up with an ex-demo A4 Avant Sport on the drive. The whole car FEELS so much more solid than the Toyota - and I'll even just about forgive its lack of heated mirrors. Dynamically it's fine too.

So do any of you backroomers drive a new Avensis, and how do you like it? And how many of you let such highly qualitative judgments influence your choice of motor?

Note that in the end SWMBO preferred the Audi. And the Avensis is damned ugly, isn't it?
Toyota Avensis D-4D - Jes
I've got an Avensis T3-x... It's a company car and was a good 'purchase' from my viewpoint. The 'monthly' cost was low (compared to a Passat) and the car tax is also low (15%). My previous car was a Passat TDi Sport and was a brilliant car, but unfortunately it was far to expensive this time round. The Avensis does it's job, but that's it - never gonna win on performance front, but so far pretty good on MPG (I have to pay for my own fuel)...I hope the Toyota customer service is better than VW's, but then again, that shouldn't be hard to beat!
Toyota Avensis D-4D - runboy
...I
hope the Toyota customer service is better than VW's, but then
again, that shouldn't be hard to beat!

No, it isn't in my case. Toyota are more than happy to let their dealers mess about with the customer and not step in to smooth things over. Bless 'em.
Toyota Avensis D-4D - peterb
I too have been unimpressed with Toyota dealers. Interestingly Lexus dealers are brilliant.
Toyota Avensis D-4D - Jes
Oh No........

Here's me thinking things might get a little better... I suppose it will be a case of trying all Toyota Main dealers in Essex and Kent then and hoping one will be good enough... That's what I did with the VW and thankfully I managed to find one - but only just. Fortunately, I live in one county and work in another....

John