Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Dynamic Dave

Thread closed. Please see vol XII for further discussions.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19795

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) X is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator

mailto:dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - anthony
If a camera speeding ticket is sent by ordinary post, could it be ignored? ie it wasn't received? Do they send reminders?
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - Armitage Shanks{P}
They used to have to be sent recorded or registered but I think that the fact that it has been posted means that it assumed to have been delivered; this is despite PO/Consignia (what are they called this week?) admitting to losing tens of thousands of items per week. Did it arrive within 14 days of the alleged offence and is it correct in respect of date time, place, direction of travel etc? You could always not send it back and use their own rules to claim that if it has been posted it must have been delivered. Good luck and please let us know what you do and what the outcome is. If it was you and you were speeding it might be as well to pay up unless you are on 9 points or there is some other good reason to evade it!
You are probably right. I have no points at the moment. I just hate paying for what I consider a minor infringement - 70 in a 60 limit. A23, dual carriageway, which goes from 70 to 60 to 70 in about a quarter of a mile.
Sorry - A24 not A23
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - pdc {P}
Anthony,
why not try using the "dont have to sign the form" loophole.

I got an NIP in June and returned it unsigned. They sent a second NIP requesting that I sign it, else be prosecuted for failing to provide information. I just replied with a letter asking where in law it states I have to sign, and 7 months down the line I have heard nothing.
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - And1

I received one some years ago. I kept writing on the envelope
'moved away - return to sender'. Eventually old Bill came round
- dived for cover behind the curtain. They gave up after that. That was the last I heard.

With the cameras I believe they have 3 months to 'get you'. Either do what I did or do a Christine Hamilton.Tories have my vote next time even though Ken will not be leader. They want to be rid of penalty points in many cases. Enough said.
What did Christine Hamilton do?
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - Wilco {P}
Re Christine

tinyurl.com/39zc6
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - Kevin
Does Christine Hamilton lurk here in the BR?

tinyurl.com/2jzds

Kevin...
Anthony. Have a look at this.

This is an issue that, unfortunately, comes up time and time again, yet the police still seem to try it on.

In my opinion, this is indeed a try-on. The 14-day rule clearly applies here. It is part of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988,

www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19...m

and is clear about the requirements for serving a NIP:

"1.?(1) Subject to section 2 of this Act, where a person is prosecuted for an offence to which this section applies, he is not to be convicted unless?
(a) he was warned at the time the offence was committed that the question of prosecuting him for some one or other of the offences to which this section applies would be taken into consideration, or
(b) within fourteen days of the commission of the offence a summons (or, in Scotland, a complaint) for the offence was served on him, or
(c) within fourteen days of the commission of the offence a notice of the intended prosecution specifying the nature of the alleged offence and the time and place where it is alleged to have been committed, was?
(i) in the case of an offence under section 28 or 29 of the [1988 c. 52.] Road Traffic Act 1988 (cycling offences), served on him,
(ii) in the case of any other offence, served on him or on the person, if any, registered as the keeper of the vehicle at the time of the commission of the offence.
(2) A notice shall be deemed for the purposes of subsection (1)(c) above to have been served on a person if it was sent by registered post or recorded delivery service addressed to him at his last known address, notwithstanding that the notice was returned as undelivered or was for any other reason not received by him.

(3) The requirement of subsection (1) above shall in every case be deemed to have been complied with unless and until the contrary is proved."

It's a bit legalistic but 1(1)(c)(ii) is the important bit regarding the 14-day rule. But the real killer in my view is 1(2) which states that the NIP should be sent either registered or recorded.

Write back to the police asking whether the NIP was issued in accordance with Section 1(2) of the Road Traffic Offenders Act, 1988. If so, could they please either furnish proof of delivery or proof of non-delivery. That should discourage them, although they might try to wind you up by pushing ahead with a court case and then dropping the case on the date of your appearance,
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - Vin {P}
Armitage - This looks like an enormous hole in what the Police are doing. Have people really got away with it using this defence, or is it just a thoeretical loophole?

V
She just said that both she and Neil used the motorway (where she was zapped) and as it happened several weeks earlier neither could remember which one was driving at the time. They both used the same car regularly. The magistrate accepted their excuse.
And1. While not querying the full accuracy of what you are quoting, if the event was "several weeks" earlier then the NIP must have been received out of time as they only have 14 days to deliver it; that said the Hamiltons may run a leased car, in which case the NIP only has to reach the lease company within that time. Any comments on this thread from our legal eagles, please?
Times online 26 November 2003.
I don't have the fine detail these legal eagles have or pretend to have. However,
I Found the article and here it is in full. (The case was only dealt with by magistrates 9 months after the event).

'Forgetful Hamilton escapes speeding fine'

Christine Hamilton avoided a fine for speeding after convincing a judge that she had no idea who was driving her car when it was caught by a speed camera.
A car belonging to Mrs Hamilton, wife of Neil Hamilton, the former MP for Tatton, went through some roadworks on the M62, which had a temporary speed limit of 50mph, at 63mph, Manchester City Magistrates Court was told.
She denied failing to supply details to the chief constable of Manchester who was driving when the alleged offence was committed in February in Greater Manchester and said she honestly had no idea whether she or her husband had been behind the wheel.
Mrs Hamilton, who represented herself and was supported in court by her husband, said after the case was dismissed: "One more victory for motorists. Justice has been done. It is not always my experience and I am absolutely delighted".
Mrs Hamilton, who now lives in Battersea, South London, said that she and her husband drove more than 30000 miles a year throughout Britain making guest appearances. They took it in turn to drive and in the week of the alleged offence had been in Warrington, Preston, Cumbria, Birmingham. Cheshire and Leeds.
To avoid hours of repetitions driving they would alternate behind the wheel. She told the court: "It is pretty difficult to remember who was driving the car at any time on any particular journey".
District Judge Alan Berg said "i have absolutely no reason to disbelieve her".

They probably did get the original letter within 14 days of the event in February but it had taken some time to come to court.

And1. Thank you very much for posting that. I had forgotten that if a court appearance was involved then the timescale would be increased. I think it is perfectly reasonable that people cannot recall who was driving on a day 9 months before the matter came to court.
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - Dwight Van Driver
AS

< >

This was subsequently amended to include

Delivery to him,
Addressing to him and leaving at last known address,
Registered Post, Recorded Delivery OR FIRST CLASS POST addressed to him at last known address.

Your loophole was plugged some time ago. So providing NOIP was sent out well within the 14 days, even late receipt, is good service.

Bear in mid that NOIP will be deemed to have been served unless contrary proved. i.e. up to defence to prove bad service.

DVD
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - SteveH42
Bear in mid that NOIP will be deemed to have been
served unless contrary proved. i.e. up to defence to prove bad
service.

That's an interesting one - how on earth do you prove that something was not received, especially if there is no requirement on the sender to use a tracked or traceable method of sending? The post office aren't going to admit they have lost an item of mail if they even know themselves so I really cannot see any way you can prove you did not receive it.

Also seems very much like guilty until proved innocent...

This probably won't be popular as it will mean less people getting away with it, but wouldn't it be fairer to have a period in which you must respond? Something like 14 days to send it, 28 days to reply and if no reply within that time a reminder is sent recorded or even hand delivered by local plod with 14 days to reply to that or a higher fine is levied?
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - dom grimes
as a company car driver and regular collector of penalty points i can vouch that as long as the paperwork is at the registered keeper - the lease company in 14 days the police can still get you. it usually takes about 3/4 weeks for a company car driver to hear about a speeding ticket.

Dominic
DVD. Thanks for your informed comment; I will stop raising people's hopes and purveying duff gen! Happy New Year
Can I ignore speeding ticket? - Hugo {P}
The thing is if someone genuinely did not receive the FPN in the post, then how does this apply?

I guess that the Police may send a reminder?

Hugo
Driving in 3rd around town - Craggyislander
Hi

Tonights BBC London News ran an item about the IAM advising that everyone should be driving in towns and cities (generally 30 limits) in 3rd gear,that is to say avoid changing up into 4th.
The reasoning behind this is that it will assist the driver in avoiding going over the 30mph limit and therefore avoid getting a ticket.

The item showed the interviewer driving around and going into 4th as normal and then being told off by his passenger who was I believe the retired head of the IAM.He was told to stay in 3rd gear.

Personally I would prefer to use 4th because it cuts down noise and saves petrol and presumably would reduce pollution.
What do other backroomers think?

Thanks
Driving in 3rd around town - cockle {P}
Interestingly, BBC Essex, local radio, had a top designer from Ford's Dunton research place near Basildon on tonight to pull holes in the argument.
Basically he appeared to back you up on more consumption, higher emission levels etc. Reading between the lines he appeared to be a little miffed that they've spent years designing lower emission levels into their cars to keep the air a little cleaner and now we're being told to up the revs and kick a bit more rubbish into the air. It was also mentioned that higher revs would logically mean more wear on the engine. I would add especially on cold mornings for short journeys, which is what most traffic in towns is doing.
I can understand the theory behind being in third tending to keep the speed down but I was always told to drive with 'mechanical sympathy' and thought that was what the IAM advised.

Cockle
Driving in 3rd around town - teabelly
I think the argument is along the lines of people should be in third as it gives them more control and if you're in 4th these evil and powerful cars we all drive now will push us more over the speed limit than being in the power band in third. Yeah right. I have no problems with a 200bhp car in 4th gear pootling at 30 mph so why do others find it so hard (according to the survey). Sounds like an excuse people gave for speeding rather than just saying that they thought the speed they were travelling was perfectly safe. Most cars I have driven will sit at 30 mph in 4th gear with the exception of the diesel fiesta I learnt in. 33mph and it was fine, 30 mph and it kind of buzzed in the gear box bearing wearing sort of way that I thought wise to avoid.

teabelly
Driving in 3rd around town - Pugugly {P}
Sounds strange - acceleration in my cars has always been more sluggish in higher gears. Does IAM still promote that pushing and pulling of the steering wheel malarky as well ?
Driving in 3rd around town - Kuang
I generally tend to bounce between 3rd and 4th, depending on whether or not I'm in moderate stop-start traffic and can use the additional engine braking in 3rd. Given that the IAM preach the benefits of speed sense, I can see where they're coming from there.

It does have to be said though that the IAM are more concerned with safe driving than environmental impact, so from that perspective their advice is perfectly consistent with their goals. If this weren't the case, they'd be advising us to take the bus instead :)

Fortunately my car sits perfectly in a 30mph notch in 4th, and takes a slight kick to pick up from there, so I could theoretically tell if I was speeding with my eyes closed by listening to the revs :)
Driving in 3rd around town - Ivor E Tower
I try to cruise at 30 in 5th if the road is level or downhill, or 4th if not and 3rd if severe uphill. Surely this is better for the environment - less fuel used, lower emissions.
Incidentally, having cruise control that works at 30mph is a very useful way of staying within the limit!
Driving in 3rd around town - Peter D
So the AIM think being in 3rd will help people control their speed. No, Wrong, 30 is 30 what is the problem, Aghh yes the nut behind the wheel, Peter
Driving in 3rd around town - Oz
My analysis is that it's all very patronising.
In most cars, if in an urban environment you are maintaining a steady speed without accelerating or braking (rare), 30 mph in fifth gear is no problem. Not even in my BMW 320d, in which this means a mere 1000 rpm.
On the other hand, if the prevailing conditions demand regular changes of speed, then fifth gear all the time is definitely not OK, and emphatically not OK for my car.
My car tells me so.
Am I in some distinct minority that possesses the ability of matching engine speed to conditions?
Oz (as was)
Driving in 3rd around town - spikeyhead {p}
I'll continue to drive my scoobie in third round town and the cavalier in fourth.
I'll also continue to "interpret" the 30mph limit as there are some roads round town where 30mph is too fast and otehr sections of dual carraigeway where the limit is obviously too slow
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Driving in 3rd around town - Cardew
So if driving an Automatic don't put it in 'D'?
Driving in 3rd around town - Obsolete
One argument for 30 in 3rd is that it gives you plenty of acceleration if you need to scoot e.g. avoid a skidding car. Do 30 in 4th and most cars will not respond to the accelerator.

However, the IAM follow the law i.e. they do not condone exceeding the speed limit so that explanation goes for a burton.
Driving in 3rd around town - SteveH42
This was also featured on the BBC News website. I was intrigued by this - it doesn't seem logical at first - so I decided to do a little experiment. Granted this is hardly conclusive proof, but it makes interesting reading...

Last night, driving to/from Asda (only about 1.5 miles) I did one way as normal, the reverse not going higher than 3rd gear. Fuel consumption fairly similar.

Today, driving from my house to Lyme Park and return, about 8 miles each way. Outward using 4th in 30s, 5th in 40s, fairly clear roads, no hold ups, car not used since previous evening so starting from cold. Fuel consumption 42.5mpg, car tended to creep up to 33 in 4th and revs were ~2000.

Return after car had stood for >3 hours so was fairly cold. Also dark so headlights and heater on. Again, roads were clear but this time I used 3rd in the 30s and 4th in the short stretch of 40. Speed tended to sit around 30/31, revs just under 2500 and far less gear changing needed as rather than having to notch it down to 3rd at roundabouts / corners / turning cars etc, you can just back off then reaccelerate.

However, the most interesting thing - fuel consumption was 56.4mpg...

Of course, there could be any number of variations and factors that lead this to be unrepresentative, but it has pointed out that this theory could be worth considering....

FWIW, car is a 1.0 Yaris.
Driving in 3rd around town - No Do$h
Today, driving about 8 miles each way. Outward using 4th in 30s, 5th in
40s, fairly clear roads, no hold ups, car not used since
previous evening so starting from cold. Fuel consumption 42.5mpg, car tended
to creep up to 33 in 4th and revs were ~2000.
Return after car had stood for >3 hours so was fairly
cold. Also dark so headlights and heater on. Again, roads were
clear but this time I used 3rd in the 30s and
4th in the short stretch of 40. Speed tended to sit
around 30/31, revs just under 2500 and far less gear changing
needed as rather than having to notch it down to 3rd
at roundabouts / corners / turning cars etc, you can just
back off then reaccelerate.
However, the most interesting thing - fuel consumption was 56.4mpg...

This leads back to the discussion a few weeks back on better economy being possible when operating closer to optimum torque. Thanks for the detailed post.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
This leads back to the discussion a few weeks back on
better economy being possible when operating closer to optimum
torque.

Very true - this is what I was trying to say by pointing out that what works in a 1.0 Yaris might not apply to a larger car. (Although I'd forgotten the discussion you refer to - this is what being without internet access for a fortnight does!) What did surprise me was how little difference there was between 3rd and 4th at 30 - under 500rpm but then I suspect with a smaller engine the ratios need to be closer.

I'm intending to do some more testing over the next week or so on my run to work and back - the difference on this one journey is enough to make it worth looking at although TBH on the journey to work there is usually enough congestion that you can't get up to 4th that often anyway.

One thing I am wondering is if there is a 'known' relationship between fuel consumption and pollution. I'd suspect that it's not a simple one and that while running in 3rd seems to give better economy it might not reduce pollution as much, but I have no actual backing for that feeling...
Driving in 3rd around town - Cardew
Steve,
Your experiment is food for thought and it would be interesting to see the results under controlled conditions.

I remember an article by Mercedes extolling the virtues of an automatic gearbox. They stated that in city traffic the automatic gave, in practice, slightly better economy than the manual version. They reasoned that the manual driver would remain in a lower, and hence inappropriate gear, if he could see ahead and knew he would be stopping/slowing in a few metres. They maintained that it was better for economy to change up(as of course the auto did) even for a few metres.

C
Driving in 3rd around town - Doc
I have a lot of respect for the IAM, but this blanket recommendation is misguided.
It is easy to exceed the speed limit in almost any gear.
The speedometer is the correct device to ensure that the limit is not exceeded, not the gearbox.
I will continue to use the highest gear appropriate for the prevailing conditions and not be a slave to an arbitrary rule.

Driving in 3rd around town - PhilW
Do people really think hard about what gear they are in? Don't you just have the car in the appropriate gear for the conditions? I couldn't really tell you "which gear" my wife was in driving back from town and as she stuck to the limit or below depending on conditions (very busy after Tigers v Gloucester Rugby and World Cup display) but I suspect it included every gear from 1 to 4 (maybe even 5) in the 4 miles from ground to the by-pass which was relatively clear of traffic (and has a 70 mph limit). And, of course, she could probably have exceeded the limit(30 & 40) in 1st gear if she felt the need. As Doc says above - use the appropriate gear - which most do not need to be told by the IAM (much as I respect most of their work)
As Doc says
above - use the appropriate gear - which most do not
need to be told by the IAM (much as I respect
most of their work)

You quite possibly are using the appropriate gear as are most drivers. However, driving lessons and the test do not cover gear usage in any detail and I think this 'advice' from the IAM is very good in that it prompts people to *think* about how they use the gears.

As I posted above, using 3rd instead of 4th on a trip today has proved that the advice may be beneficial. The fuel consumption argument can be disproved in any number of ways - I've just posted the numbers I got from this one journey - but the other benefits I noticed are something I wouldn't have realised unless I tried it and if, as I've seen so far, the fuel consumption is at minimum no worse then it may have benefitted at least one person, i.e. me.

Of course it could be that in a small engined car such as the Yaris it is appropriate to use 3rd while in a larger car 4th may work better. However, falling in to habits and dismissing advice just because you think it's wrong is never a good thing.
Driving in 3rd around town - PhilW
"However, falling in to habits and dismissing advice just because you think it's wrong is never a good thing."
Steve,
Not sure I did either of the above - point I was trying to make is that telling people to use 3rd rather than using their initiative and therefore the gear that suits the conditions may be misguided.

"Of course, there could be any number of variations and factors that lead this to be unrepresentative, but it has pointed out that this theory could be worth considering..."

Isn't that what I was saying? If not - it's what I meant!!

Driving in 3rd around town - Flat in Fifth
People are missing the point of this advice from the IAM.

Its all about the easiest way to control speed UP & DOWN and being in the appropriate gear. That is one of the fundamentals of safe driving, right gear, right place right time.

Lets say your vehicle can manage 30 in 5th, put your foot down not a lot happens in acceleration because it's right off the bottom of the torque curve. Equally take your foot off the gas and not a lot will happen because the engine will be very near its idling speed and the engine management will be trying to stop the engine from stalling.

So to alter speed you have to do more than just flexing your right size 9 Doc Marten, which means, with respect, that you might not be in proper control of the vehicle, and you could be in far better control if the correct gear were engaged.

It doesn't affect emissions so much if at all because the engine is operating at its most efficient point in the range, noise possibly a little, but would wager most drive by noise in 30's comes from tyre noise anyway.

The message from the IAM is very simplified of necessity. Why?

Because to give the full message would be far more complicated and fly over the heads of 95.7% of the driving population.

The appropriate gear depends upon the car, it could be 2nd or 3rd, extreme cases could be 1st (supercar) or 4th (low geared classic).

Automatic boxes should not just be left in Drive round town for the same reasons.

It really isn't rocket science, just needs a little thought.

It really isn't rocket science, just needs a little thought.

Not rocket science no, but something that does need explaining better. I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent and I have an engineering background (albeit electronic) but it hadn't occured to me that there was anything all that wrong with using 4th around town. I certainly didn't get pulled up for it during driving lessons or on my test.

It's fine saying use an 'appropriate' gear, but how do you know what this is if you don't know what is appropriate? I'd always thought that keeping the revs low as long as you weren't labouring the engine was best - indeed I occasionally changed up to 5th so I could 'coast' down moderate inclines on the basis that not using the throttle at all must be the best way to do it.

As you say, a little thought and it becomes obvious but it needs something to spark that thought and the way I was taught certainly didn't spark it and I suspect I'm in the majority here. My mother, for example, is so eager to get up through the box that she is often in 5th at 35 or 40 when accelerating from stop in an NSL. (I've made comments but they haven't sunk in)

I've always thought more training should be given than is currently necessary to pass the test - this has just added to that view.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Dynamic Dave
Where is the camera thread? I've tried to search , but no luck.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Dynamic Dave
Dynamic Dave
Where is the camera thread? I\'ve tried to search , but
no luck.

I\'ll edit in the url\'s into the older ones shortly, but in the meantime if you use the \'Forum Search\' (where you log in/out) and type \" The Speed Camera Thread\" (including the quotes) into the subject box, you should stumble upon them.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Peter D
Dom Grimes, Hi Your not related to a Robert ( Bob ) Grimes are you he would be 50 ish Regards Peter
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Oz
Living as I do at the bottom of a long, deep \'dip\' in a fairly main road, we are plagued with regular would-be Grand Prix drivers going past our house at way above the posted limit of 30 mph. Visitors are prompted to remark \"jesus!!, they bomb past here don\'t they!?\"
Speed cameras are definitely not on our wish list. Speed humps would be ruled out on safety grounds. Rumble strips probably likewise, and they would create a lot of noise at all hours.
The local authority and Old Bill are not especially interested because there has been no major casualty (yet).
After a lot of lobbying there was a one-off posting of fluorescent signs of the \"Don\'t be dirty, stick to 30\" type together with some mild reinforcement. This had a beneficial effect but only as long as it was in place.
Any suggestions?
Oz (as was)
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - teabelly
One of those signs that light up with a large 30 if you exceed it might be just the thing. It seems to do the trick without upsetting people.The ones around here are set very accurately. 31mph and it flashes the 30 sign at you. You could have it display a smiley face if you are at or less than the limit and a frown if you're exceeding it!
teabelly
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Blue {P}
For those who recommend 30mph in 5th -

Have you ever tried accelerating suddenly whilst driving like this?

I have... it didn't work, I held my breath as a stolen car being persued by a Police Focus *flew* up behind me at about 50mph, me in the right lane of the dual carriageway, parked cars in the left. By pure good luck I got to the end of the row of cars just as he reached me and he shot through the gap, a few feet further back and I would have been unable to get out of his way due to the car been in too high a gear and totally unable to accelerate, he would have slammed into me and my car would have been written off.

Since then I have never made the same mistake, and tend to stick to 3rd gear at 30mph, occasionally I will allow 4th, and sometimes in busy traffic around town I leave it in 2nd so that I can accelerate very, very quickly on demand (this is good for nipping into the gaps ;-)

No noticeable effect on fuel economy either as the engine is working closer to it's most efficient peak of 3,000 rpm. The Fiesta really starts to sing when you reach those revs :-)

Blue
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Wilco {P}
Strangely enough - some new signs just installed in a 30 Zone in Wolverton, near Milton Keynes, do exactly that. A Happy Smiley face greeted me with 29mph - 30 displayed on my speedo. So one or other (or neither) is accurate at that speed.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - patently
Speedos tend to overstate your speed. The construction & use regulations set a maximum permissible error in the displayed speed, which allows it to over-read by a small margin but prohibits any under-reading. You were almost certainly at 29.

On my 5 series if the speedo says 95 (ahem - nice autobahn that one) then the on board computer says 90.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - pdc {P}
On my 5 series if the speedo says 95 (ahem -
nice autobahn that one) then the on board computer says 90.

That's odd. I would have thought that the speedo and computer would get their data from the same source.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - patently
That's odd. I would have thought that the speedo and computer
would get their data from the same source.

If they do, that data is still presented via radically different means and differences could arise there.

In fact, I'm not sure that this is the case. My dim and distant recollection is that speedos work from a rotating bowden cable-type thing driven by the wheels. That exerts a force on the needle proportionate to road speed, whereas the needle is held back by a magnet ... hey presto a speedometer. The computer looks at the ABS sensors, I think, and works out the road speed directly.

I'm very uncertain though. Anyone know any better?
Unlawful 30mph Speed Limits - pdc {P}
Haven't seen this mentioned in the forums, but i did take a break away over christmas, so maybe i missed it

The ABD have an article about unlawful 30mph speed limits and details what to do if you feel that you have been done for speeding in such a limit. It mostly applies to main roads where the limit used to be higher and has since been dropped.

www.abd.org.uk/30.htm

Shame we arent allowed to make political comment here ;-)
Belgium - spot fines FYI - smokie
A friend has just mailed me the following:

"Just for your interest I'm sitting reading BMW Car Nov 03 edition. Page 76 details the new speeding fines in Belguim. If you are stopped doing 10kph over the 120kph limitits is 160 euro fine on the spot. 20kph over the limit it goes up to, wait for it, 1500 euros and 30kph over its an unbelievable 2500 euros on the spot! Be afraid!"

Points - How long - Marcos{P}
Quick question lads,

If you have recieved 3 points for speeding how long do they stay on your license?

Thanks

Marcos
Points - How long - smokie
3 years for police purposes, sometimes more for insurance, so I understand
Points - How long - Dwight Van Driver
As Smokie says they active on your Licence for 3 years but they have to remain on your lic for a further year before DVLA, on application, will remove. This is in relation to the run of the mill offences speed, DWL, sign. Remain on Licence longer if a more serious offence.

All on DVLA site under Drivers

DVD
Points - How long - jammods
3 or 4 years cant remember which......... but definately at least 3
Points - How long - Mark (RLBS)
Speeding is valid for 3 years, on your licence for 4 years; disclosure requirements from insurance companies vary between 3 & 5 years.
Points - How long - martint123
I don't think it's that straghtforward...
www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/endorsem.htm

I read that as your points are for FOUR years but only three years count for 'totting up'.

Any driver who incurs 12 or more penalty points within a 3-year period faces automatic disqualification under the under "totting -up" system.

Endorsements must remain on a licence for 11 years from date of conviction if the offence is :

drinking/drugs and driving (shown on the licence as DR10, DR20, DR30 and DR80).

causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of drink/drugs (shown on the licence as CD40,CD50 and CD60).

causing death by careless driving, then failing to provide a specimen for analysis (shown on the licence as CD70).

or 4 years from date of conviction if the offence is as listed below :

reckless/dangerous driving (shown on the licence as DD40,DD60 and DD80),

offences resulting in disqualification.

disqualified from holding a full licence until a driving test has been passed.

or 4 years from the date of offence in all other cases.
Compo for victims from speed camera - Ben79
How rediculous paying for victim support through speeding fines. Therefore convicted rapists, burglars and muggers should also pay a lot more than the £5 on top of speed fines. I don't hear the news saying people other than speeders and drunk in public will pay.
Compo for victims from speed camera - matt35 {P}
SeeFive,

You beat me to it - here is the headline on the BBC website;

"Speeding drivers face victim levy

Motorists fined for speeding might have to pay an extra fine
Motorists convicted of speeding may have to pay compensation for victims, the government has proposed.
The plan, published on Monday, is one of several changes to the funding of victim support services.

Motorists given a prison term or suspended sentence would pay £30 to a Home Office fund providing victim and witness compensation and support.

Those fined for speeding or driving without insurance would face a levy of £5 or £10. "

My initial thoughts on this would have my post deleted , but I will continue to send the odd contribution to an excellent organisation called Orbis, who do great work in curing blindness, in the hope that we might get a Home Secretary with vision one day.

I do not intend this a a criticism of David Blunkett, and admire his achievements as an unsighted person - but this is absolute nonsense!

Matt35

Compensation for victims of crime. - madf
I see our beloved Government are going to make speeding motorists pay another £5 to compensate the victims of crime...
www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12971630,00.h...l
"MOTORING FINES TO GO UP

Motorists convicted of speeding offences may have to pay an extra £5 on fines to fund victim support services, Home Secretary David Blunkett has announced.

The levy was proposed as part of a shake-up in the way ministers tackle the aftermath of murder, rape, violent assault and other crimes.

More serious motoring offences such as uninsured driving would carry a £10 surcharge. Parking fines would be exempt from the new levy.

Other on-the-spot fines, such as those for being drunk in public or making a hoax 999 call, would also carry the extra charge.

A consultation document said the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme (CICS) should stop paying out to people attacked at work - including police, health workers and teachers - with the burden shifting to employers instead.

The CICS currently pays out 40,000 awards totalling £160m a year."

Pity the Government currently has over £275M of fines outstanding which never get paid.

Without wishing to malign our much beloved Home Secretary I have to ask if these muppets have got their logic sorted out?

1. The monies involved are smaller than unpaid fines.
2. Unpaid fines would fund it all
3. Non payers now will certainly not pay bigger fines..

Why should not criminals pay for the damage they do? If they are on Government Aid, frequent offenders should lose it: otherwise taxpayers pay offenders to re-offend with no chance of redress.

Logic? Wotsthat?

madf

Compensation for victims of crime. - Andrew-T
Agree with some of your points, madf. But if you feel that funds should be collected to compensate victims of crime, it seems better to do it this way than to levy every driver via the pump price of fuel, as has been suggested. You will obviously only levy those drivers you catch, so it's not 'fair', but at least you aren't levying good guys as well.
Compensation for victims of crime. - Rob the Bus {P}
Whilst it is, in theory, a good idea for the perpetrators of a crime to contribute towards making good their misdeeds, this whole proposal is totally iniquitous.

As far as I am aware, speeding is still a civil matter, not a criminal one. Why then, should motorists pay even more on top of the already over the top fines to go towards compensating the actions of criminals?

The answer is surely to add this levy to all fines handed out ny courts, but the powers that be know full well that motorists, by and large, pay their fines without too much complaining. I'd be very interested to see statistics (preferably not Government ones!) that show what proportion of motoring fines are still unpaid compared to 'criminal' fines.

If this Government is not very careful, they will have a revolt on their hands. The normal guy in the street can only take so much.

Cheers

Rob
Compensation for victims of crime. - GJD
Whilst it is, in theory, a good idea for the perpetrators
of a crime to contribute towards making good their misdeeds, this
whole proposal is totally iniquitous.
As far as I am aware, speeding is still a civil
matter, not a criminal one. Why then, should motorists pay
even more on top of the already over the top fines
to go towards compensating the actions of criminals?
The answer is surely to add this levy to all fines
handed out ny courts

I think the proposal is to add the levy to fines for more offences than just speeding. But, of course, you can't get convicted of any of the others without having the evidence tested in court. And you're entitled to see the evidence before that happens.
but the powers that be know full
well that motorists, by and large, pay their fines without too
much complaining. I'd be very interested to see statistics (preferably
not Government ones!) that show what proportion of motoring fines are
still unpaid compared to 'criminal' fines.

Indeed. I can't remember the number from last night, but I did see the annual unpaid fines figure somewhere and it was more than a few quid!!

Leaving aside for now the issues with enforcing speed limits vs enforcing road safety, I have no problem with convicted offenders (whatever the offence) being fined. And no problem with some of the money going to victim support organisations. But the level of the fine surely has to be determined by what is an appropriate punishment and deterrent, NOT by this year's victim support budget shortfall.

GJD
Being taken for a ride - Dwight Van Driver
Isn't this an example of how modern Governments work? I have seen no regulation or draft regulation which would be required to bring this into law.

It seems the thing to do is make a proposal and float it before the populus and see what the response is. If only mild objection then they will follow through. Strong objection and possibility of lost kisses at the Ballot Box and it is shelved (for the time being).

So go forth peeps and object in your strongest possible way at this load of b****y twaddle.

DVD
Being taken for a ride - wemyss
Just another stealth tax by Uncle Gordon who is desperate for more cash. I have visions of cabinet meetings with Gordy imploring ?can you noo think of ways of ways to help?
?taxes on beer to pay for unmarried mothers ?? After all it could be alcohol related..
?window taxes? been done before?.
Incidentally where did all that windfall tax on utilities go??.
There are many new taxes to come and who easier to cane than the motorist and the hoose owner.
Being taken for a ride - OldPeculiar
I don't think it's really a stealth tax by Gordon - it's just a bad idea from a person that doesn't (can't) drive. I do feel that those that make decisions on our roads ought to at least drive on them.

To return to motoring I've said it before and I'll say it again I don't have a real problem with people being fined for speeding. I do have a problem with only those insured, taxed and MOT'd being fined for speeding. I also dislike having to drive in fear of being hit by someone who isn't insured (and is hence more likely to break the traffic laws since they can't be traced)
Being taken for a ride - tunacat
It's THIS week's reinforcement of the impression that the police (themselves, or through government policy) increasingly don't bother trying to catch 'real' criminals, whilst the motorist gets ever more money screwed-out of him for the slightest transgression of the letter-of-the-law.

It can be difficult to catch criminals - why not just compensate the victims instead, that should restore equilibrium, eh?

Thing is, up to £28 million a year of this pot of compensation is to be supplied by surcharges on fines for speeding (admittedly amongst a few other offences). So on the one hand the government tell us "Speed kills! You must not speed!", and on the other, they WANT people to speed, in order to fund this topsy-turvy approach to "being tough on crime".
Being taken for a ride - teabelly
Exceeding the posted speed limit is a choice. If everyone chose not to then their plan would fall flat on it's face and leave a nice large hole in the coffers. It also may prove once and for all how many accidents are caused by exceeding the limit.

I think the money should get spent on having more of those ANPR devices so real criminals could be tracked around the country and have themselves followed by the fuzz at every available opportunity. Why aren't they fitted in truvelos so that every unregistered vehicle passing through is photographed? It should be particularly useful as they are forward facing so it would give them an idea of who they are looking for. It would be too obvious with gatsos as the flash would alert them, and they'd wonder why they were getting flashed through every camera, even when under the limit....it would also help those with cloned plates as the driver could be seen.
teabelly
Fighting our corner? Paxman's our man! - Adam {P}
Did anyone watch Newsnight last night? I know it's unusual for an 18 year old to be watching it but I was flicking over channels and stumbled across it. Jeremy Paxman was interviewing Baroness Scotland (a Home Office Minister) about this new levy for compensation of accident victims. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating stupid speeds nor am I calling speeding safe but there are in some instances (For example 34mph in a 30mph zone lands a 65 year old man with 3 points and a fine - his first points ever - but I won't go into it) which makes speeding not exactly necessary but certainly difficult to avoid (I hope I've quelled any uprisings that would follow this thread). Anyway - to cut a seemingly long story short, Jeremy seemed very animated about the topic, almost as if he'd been caught speeding on the way to the studios! He asked the minister how they could liken a speeder and a robber to each other to which she replied that they were both criminals. This obviously enraged him and he fought back until eventually, when it was obvious he wasn't going to back down, the minister started to backpedal. I just thought it was hilarious ;-)

Cheers

Adam.
--
"Give Way"? Wait....I know this one...give me a minute
Fighting our corner? Paxman's our man! - pdc {P}
But this proposal isn't just about speeding, (which is why i didn't originally think to look for it in here Mods). You will get a 35 fine for not having water in the wash bottle, or noisy brakes (tada, spelt it right)

"Defective headlights, worn tyres, having no fluid in windscreen washers, not using a seatbelt and even having noisy brakes will cost drivers an extra fiver. "
Fighting our corner? Paxman's our man! - teabelly
Noisy brakes? There are some brake designs that are noisy full stop and cannot be prevented from being noisy. Are they after serious squealing or a bit of a squeak? Is it going to get to the stage where people will be scared to use their brakes because they don't want a fine because they make a bit of noise? Defective headlights, no seatbelt and worn tyres I have no problem with. Arguably having no selt belt removes the idiots from the food chain faster so perhaps it should no longer be a crime for an adult ;-)
teabelly
Fighting our corner? Paxman's our man! - Adam {P}
I didn't know that - the emphasis was on speeding and I only found out about it last night. I can just see that happening Teabelly - people will be afraid to use their brakes and so creep over the limit and get fined for that! All the bases are covered aren't they?

Adam
--
"Give Way"? Wait....I know this one...give me a minute
Fighting our corner? Paxman's our man! - patently
Noisy brakes? There are some brake designs that are noisy full
stop and cannot be prevented from being noisy. Are they after
serious squealing or a bit of a squeak?

Perhaps the Government wants us to oil our brakes so they won't squeal. Then they can collect more £5 contributions for speeding.

Seriously, the good Baroness was on every news bulletin telling us that the public will welcome the £5 levy on speeding motorists "and other criminals". So why are we complaining? After all, she says we WILL welcome it [or else?].
Being taken for a ride - Bromptonaut
Exceeding the posted speed limit is a choice. If everyone chose
not to then their plan would fall flat on it's face
and leave a nice large hole in the coffers.

Something like this already happening in Northmptonshire where there is a sizable hole in the police budget.

Suspect this proposal has the subtext that speeding is criminal (it remains so, though you don't get a "record" for motoring offences). The governmemnt's aim is to change the culture of speed.
Being taken for a ride - 007

I was driving along at a steady 30mph, minding my own business..and then I thought of victims of crime.....
Being taken for a ride - Flat in Fifth
Just a quick visit to comment on this fine surcharge malarkey..

I hope that the fury this will generate means this will never see the light of day, but quite frankly I've been wrong before about some of the garbage this current administration inflicts on the basis that "surely they wouldn't be this stupid" only to be proved totally wrong.

What next, a window tax?

Do the scrotes pay any fines, ever?

(Btw is scrote the correct spelling or is it scroat?)

I'm sure many inhabitants of the Backroom virtual bar will never be hit by one of these fines, but what did anyone make of the geezer on Newsnight likening offending motorists to paedophiles. That got me shouting at the TV.

Baroness Scotland, another one for the list come the revolution.

Finally when they introduce fines for (ahem) emitting greenhouse gases (methane) then that will be the end of Mrs FiFs famous chestnut stuffing at Christmas, and for that they will NOT be forgiven.

At the moment I could do a good version of Steve Wrights Mr Angry if you remember him.

Cheers all off for a while,
FiF

Being taken for a ride - malteser
I thinkthe derivation of "scrote" is "scrotum", so I expect that the correct spelling is "scrote"!
"Rude, crude and socially unacceptable"
Being taken for a ride - Armitage Shanks{P}
There is no way I am going to pay a surcharge on ANY motoring fine to recompense some oik who has had his teeth knocked out in a drunken brawl! I fully agree with earlier posts re get outstanding fines collected and enforce existing laws before coming up with even more nonsense. Remember the idea of thugs going to a cash point to pay an 'on the spot' fine? I don't think it ever happened. This is just another bit of policy on the hoof from a bunch of no-brainers, IMHO!
Being taken for a ride - pdc {P}
Lib Dem MP Menzies Campbell, said last night, that to levy a surcharge on a penalty to pay for something completely unrelated, is against all European Human Rights laws.

Egg on the face all around then eh?
Being taken for a ride - patently
But HMG believes that speeding drivers are criminals akin to child molesters etc, so would deny that the surcharge is unrelated surely?
Being taken for a ride - Thommo
Typical New Labour reaction.

Push the idea out there, thrown in the lightweights to support it and if you get a bad reaction back off.

Bliar is already saying 'its just a proposal'.

I am surprised at the political incompetence though. Why not just hikes all fines by £5 and quietly cream the dosh off behind closed doors?
Being taken for a ride - patently
Why not just hikes all fines by £5 and quietly cream the dosh >> off behind closed doors?

Because then it would be a stealth tax, not a prudent investment in our country's future carefully targeted to achieve social justice....

So now you know the difference between the two! Presentation, presentation, presentation.
Being taken for a ride - No Do$h
>> Why not just hikes all fines by £5 and quietly
cream the dosh >> off behind closed doors?
Because then it would be a stealth tax, not a prudent
investment in our country's future carefully targeted to achieve social justice....
So now you know the difference between the two! Presentation,
presentation, presentation.

Hmm, politics, politics, politics.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Court Case - John Shelton
Saw an interesting case at local Mags court today, superficially a simple speeding case. Driver "X" pleads not guilty to failing to identify the driver of a delivery truck because "X" did not believe "X" was the driver of a truck caught for speeding. IE if "X" didnt think "X" was the speeding driver "X" returned the NIP incomplete. So is reported for failing to provide drivers details. "X"'s defence was that "X" could not be sure he/she was the driver and he provided evidence that his log had been filled in possibly by another member of staff and that his/her departure time logged was only 3 minutes before the camera photographed the truck (there was no photo of the driver) The camera is nearly 7 miles from where "X" began his/her delivery run and the start time of his journey was not in dispute. To cover the distance from the start point to the camera is a 15 to 20 minute run at average speed ( I know this as i do this same journey from my base past this camera every 3 days. We thought "X" had a strong defence and that the mags would give the benefit of the doubt. after a lengthy period deliberating the mags found "X" guilty . needless to say driver "X" intends to appeal the case to crown court.
Court Case - Dwight Van Driver
Phew

Evidence of log given by X of someone elses entry - Y?
Y not the person who filled it in for X?

Seems from what you say the ID of the driver known so due diligence not shown.

Plus again from what you say from the evidence need to travel in time and distance to camera = 140mph. Impossible so log is telling porkies.

Start time in log as you say not in dispute? Without evidence from whoever completed the log it must be?

Presume that because the offence of speeding was not pursued then no evidence of accuracy of camera's timing???????

Dont rate his chances at Appeal

DVD
Brunstrom is in the news again news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3415031.stm

Complaints against him involving claims of "humiliation" and bullying - are being heard by the force's professional standards committee, after a pensioner complained about the way the he was dealt with after writing a letter to Brunstrom following a speeding conviction.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI - Dwight Van Driver
Rule of Teflon will apply in this case?

DVD
Am surprised no one else spotted this in the papers.

A woman who stood up at a forum in LLandudno, and attacked Brunstrums policy of treating speeding motorists worse than the criminals on a local estate, has received a letter from Brunstrum saying that her comments were racist and that action will be taken if she repeats them.

The woman appeared on Sky News on Monday night and stated exactly what it was that she did say, and there were no racist undertones at all.

What planet is Brunstum on? Orwell was 20 years ahead of his time.