Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XII - Dynamic Dave

Thread closed. Please see vol XIII for further discussions.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20347

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XI is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
I can go faster than you.... - Mike H
Reading the recent thread on driving to Austria (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=19...3), someone said that "from here in the Midlands to the Tyrol region it's about 850 miles. We do it in one go usually. It takes about 9 - 10 hours". Someone else made the point that they would have to average 85-95mph, including the ferry crossing.....therefore this would seem to be a case of exaggeration.

The point is, have you noticed that when are talking in a group, and you mention how long it takes you to get from A to B, there is always someone who can do it faster, or knows a quicker route?
I can go faster than you.... - volvoman
Yes, and they're quite often fully paid up members of the 'Subsidise A Speed Camera Club' with special markings on their licences to prove it :)
I can go faster than you.... - smokie
...and I am usually that man...

What's the problem? :-)
I can go faster than you.... - Vin {P}
When I used to be a courier I came across this all the time. I'd be asked "how long to get a package to London [from Manchester]?". When I said to allow 4-5 hours, the answer would always come that they had done it in three hours last week.

I eventually worked out what it was, by asking if that was door-to-door. People leaving Manchester started timing at the point they reached the M6 (often 45mins out of Manchester) and they stopped at the point they reached the bottom of the M1 (sometimes well over an hour from destination).

The most extreme example was someone in Liverpool telling me that Canary Wharf would take me 2.5 hours.

V
I can go faster than you.... - Cardew(USA)
Vin,
Absolutely correct. My brother runs a taxi firm and his clients often argue about how long a trip should take - particularly to Heathrow or Gatwick in rush hour.

"The most extreme example was someone in Liverpool telling me that Canary Wharf would take me 2.5 hours."

I have done Liverpool Street to Canary Wharf in under 2.5 hours!!

C
I can go faster than you.... - pdc {P}
Erlangen to Stoke, about 900 miles, took me 10 hours driving time (excluding the 45 min chunnel time) back in 97, in my Polo, setting off at 1500 hours.

It's possible to do the 202 door to door miles from Manchester ( 3 miles shy of M56) to Shepherds bush in 15 minutes, if you set off at 6am on a Saturday morning, and you can do Brighton Dome to Manchester in 3 hours 15, if you leave Brighton at 0030 hours.
I can go faster than you.... - BazzaBear {P}
202 miles in 15 minutes???? Either there's a typo there or you're averaging over 800 miles per hour.
I can go faster than you.... - Robbie
Erlangen to Stoke, about 900 miles, took me 10 hours driving
time (excluding the 45 min chunnel time) back in 97, in
my Polo, setting off at 1500 hours.

900 miles in 10 hours?

I cannot not believe it! (shades of Victor Meldrew)

Seriously, how do you manage an average speed of 90mph from Stoke to Erlangen in a VW Polo?
I can go faster than you.... - Andrew-T
Quite. But don't forget that many cars' odometers overread the miles slightly (1 to 4%).
I can go faster than you.... - Robbie
Quite. But don't forget that many cars' odometers overread the miles
slightly (1 to 4%).

If it were 4% out then that's 86.4mph.

Some driving.

Polo would do 119 top speed.

and manchester to shep bush was 2hr 15 min
I can go faster than you.... - Cardew
"Erlangen to Stoke, about 900 miles, took me 10 hours driving time (excluding the 45 min chunnel time)"

Would that be the Erlangen near Nurnberg? If so you took a long detour for it to be 900 miles.
I can go faster than you.... - CM
The most extreme example was someone in Liverpool telling me that
Canary Wharf would take me 2.5 hours.
V

15 mins to airport
2 hours at airport and flight to City Airport
15 mins to Canary Wharf
I can go faster than you.... - Morris Ox
I set out for Utopia a few years back. Doesn't seem any nearer...
I can go faster than you.... - PhilW
"Erlangen to Stoke, about 900 miles, took me 10 hours driving time .. in my Polo"
Total Fiction.
The bit from the Channel to Stoke via M20, M25, M1, M6 probably took you longer! Averaging 90 mph?????? Come off it!
Or have I misread a joke?
By the way Vienna isn't even that far so you went a long way round!
Oh and if you only allowed 45 mins for the Chunnel you are being wildly optimistic since minimum crossing time is 35 mins, then add on earlier arrival, customs, passport control, loading time, unloading etc, so knock off another half hour (at least)driving time and you did it in 8.5 hours. Now 8 and a half into 900 = 105.88 mph average speed. Does a Polo go that fast flat out?
Brighton to Manchester 266 miles in 3hr 15 mins is approx 80 mph ave. Good to see you stick to speed limits and take a break occasionally. Me, for that distance I'd reckon on 5 hours (not counting fag and coffee stops - so probably about 7!
Sorry, but I think your post confirms the first posters (and others)points.
I can go faster than you.... - Cardew
Ah but he is a member of the IAM - see profile!

On reflection I think it is a wind up
Why would I post exagerated claims in a forum so as to draw ridicule to myself?

These were journeys that I did over 8 years ago, when I was in my early 20\'s and was a lot more hot headed than I am now (cardew, I joined the IAM because I recognised I had many driving problems). I didn\'t stick to speed limits, and the car was going flat out at 119mph (indicated of course) for a lot of the journey. In the early hours the M20, M25, M1, M6 are not busy at all, so why doubt what I say? The times I quoted are minutes the wheels were rolling, discounting fuel and rest stops and the chunnel. I admit that I actually took it as a personal challenge to see how quickly I could do the journey.

My attitude to driving has changed over the past 8 years and I would never dream of doing the same again. My life is far more relaxed now.

Don\'t know why I am bothering to defend myself, given that I get the impression you all think I am a for thinking that the police should display tax discs.
I can go faster than you.... - smokie
I did Glasgow to Wokingham (from M8 central Glasgow to my front door) in 4h 51 a few weekends back. Av speed of 83 on the Vx trip display. One stop for fuel and two at lights, on the same roundabout. Fags taken on the move, nothing drunk or eaten during the whole journey. Speed NEVER in 3 figures. Motorway virtually all the way, obviously no hold ups whatsoever (didn't use the new toll either).

These things are possible...

And I would not consider that at any point I drove dangerously or aggresively...just lucky with a very quiet road all the way...

I flew the same trip the following weekend, and the door to door time was about the same...

I can go faster than you.... - BB
I can vouch for pdc who says the M20 M25 and M1 are quiet at night. I have travelled Maidstone to Nottingham in a very short period of time late at night.
I can go faster than you.... - Nsar
Anyone read the papers today about the mother who bragged she could do 18 miles in 20 minutes? Killed her 12 yr old daughter and her daughter's best friend.
Yes I speed more than I should and I don't want to pick a fight with anyone, but this thread doesn't feel right.
I can go faster than you.... - NickD
Anyone read the papers today about the mother who bragged she
could do 18 miles in 20 minutes? Killed her 12 yr
old daughter and her daughter's best friend.
Yes I speed more than I should and I don't want
to pick a fight with anyone, but this thread doesn't feel
right.

Bit of philosophy from the mother-in-law, which SWMBO is always quoting at me:

"Better late in this life than early in the next."

--
Nick
I can go faster than you.... - Mark (RLBS)
This thread is an indication of why speed cameras will not solve the/any problem.

For as long as speeding is seen as cool then people will find a way to do it.

And don't even begin to tell me that 119mph in a polo on public roads is safe or even close to it.

And don't even begin to tell me that 119mph in a
polo on public roads is safe or even close to it.

When I was a kid I would do all sorts of things, without any thought of the danger and consequences. I would jump off high walls, out of trees, swing on rope swings over fire, jump over ramps on my BMX bike, play chicken on the railway, and so on.

As I have got older my awareness of danger, responsibility, consequence has changed beyond recognition. As a new driver in my early 20's 119 mph in a Polo seemed fine. I was young, single and invincible. Now I am 30, no longer single, and running my own business I wouldn't consider that sustained speed in any car.

We get wiser with age I suppose. I guess that's why insurance companies hammer young first time drivers like they do. With each day passing I realise that I am turning into my mum, that everything she ever said to spoil my fun was right, and that one day I may be saying the same words to my offspring that she said to me. Gone are my Radio 1 days, and now it's Today on the way to work, and PM on the way home!

But it is possible to cover stupid distances in riduculous times, given quiet conditions on the road.

I can go faster than you.... - Altea Ego
"Received NIP back in July last year for doing 45mph in a 40 limit. Was caught by mobile camera. Completed the NIP but didn't sign it. A few weeks later I received another NIP with an accompanying letter explaining that it was against the law not to sign the form and that I was liable to prosecution for not doing so. I wrote a letter asking them to quote said law, and have heard nothing back almost 8 months down the line."

PDC 9th Feb 2004

"As I have got older my awareness of danger, responsibility, consequence has changed beyond recognition."

PDC 10th Feb 2004

"Received NIP back in July last year for doing 45mph in
a 40 limit. Was caught by mobile camera. Completed the NIP
but didn't sign it. A few weeks later I received another
NIP with an accompanying letter explaining that it was against the
law not to sign the form and that I was liable
to prosecution for not doing so. I wrote a letter asking
them to quote said law, and have heard nothing back almost
8 months down the line."
PDC 9th Feb 2004
"As I have got older my awareness of danger, responsibility, consequence
has changed beyond recognition."
PDC 10th Feb 2004

5 mph over a limit, on a dual carriage way, with barriers each side preventing public access to the road is not, in my opinion, dangerous, or irresponsible. So shove it RF.
Apologies for the shove it comment RF. Needed to vent off steam at your posting. Would you mind explaining, maybe via private email, why you decided to make that post, if not to have a go at me?

As I have posted several times over the year I have been frequenting this forum, I used to be a bit of a hot head driver. I recognised my faults and made an attempt to do something about them by joining the IAM. That doesn't mean that I will stick to posted limits though. Many other people here also argue that limits on some roads are ridiculously low. 5 mph over a limit and you criticise me. You could probably do 80 down that stretch as there is a barrier to stop pedestrians from getting to the road, and a 10 foot (minimum) wide grass central reservation.
I can go faster than you.... - BrianW
There's a dead straight main road I go down in east London which has a railway on one side and a reservoir on the other. Effectively a tunnel without a roof and a 30 mph limit.
Good money-earning spot for the Authorities, though.
I can go faster than you.... - Altea Ego
No problem with the "shove it" PDC, not having a go either, it was very TIC, just ammused me that you had 1 post saying you got knicked for speeding and a post one day later saying you no longer do that. Thought you might see the funny side. Made me giggle anway (and not in a nasty way)
I can go faster than you.... - Mark (RLBS)
I wasn't particularly pointing at you, pdc. Its just that the polo speed stuck in my mind when I wanted an example.

I've done worse. Not that I'm proud of it.
I can go faster than you.... - Mapmaker
I'm not sure that anybody has said that 199 mph (or whatever) in a Polo is cool, safe, interesting or fun (the latter might be if you wear ear plugs).

But in this life, life is too short to spend a long time in a tin can with just yourself for company. (Though to travel hopefully may be better than to arrive.) That's why people speed. People speed because they want to be somewhere else, other than in their tin boxes. Maybe the more car obsessed readers of this forum love being in their tin boxes in a stationary jam... but I doubt it!

The poor chap did it as a 'personal challenge' whilst a lot younger - leave him alone as he's now repented! Some of us were reading for degrees in ridiculously complex subjects for our personal challenges at that age - he probably was too - but in retrospect was that cool, safe, interesting or fun?
I can go faster than you.... - BrianW
If there had been a camera on that road they could have had sixty quid off her as well (wouldn't have stopped the accident though, she was simply exceeding her capabilities).
Diabolical Driving Records - helicopter
Watching these police chase programmes we quite regularly see villains clocked at 120 mph +.

Out of interest does anybody know what the record 'on the road' speed is as clocked by the law.? I seem to recall a Fireblade at 170mph+

Is there a top limit to the speed that can be recorded by the police hand held detectors?
Diabolical Driving Records - volvoman
Sounds like you're thinking you might need to make a quick escape sometime soon H :)
But V - when I'm doing the bank job I don't bother with the car or motorbike - However the Bell Jetstream parked in the High St outside the Natwest with the pilot in a balaclava does tend to be a bit of a giveaway!
Diabolical Driving Records - CM
Is there a top limit to the speed that can be
recorded by the police hand held detectors?

I seem to remember that the limit for them (or it might have been Gastos) was 130. Anything above that was counted as exceeding 130. To be honest whether you are caught doing 130 or 150 the punishment aint going to be too much different.
Surely if the measurements are taken over a fixed distance as I believe is the case , if you can get from the beginning to the end of that fixed distance before the equipment can take the second measurement the equipment cannot calculate the correct speed in time.

Not that I intend to do that but theoretically it must be possible.
Diabolical Driving Records - matt35 {P}
Helicopter,
Why did I think of Cliff Richard singing 'We're all going on a Summer Holiday?
Matt35.
I'm sorry Matt - maybe I'm brain dead this afternoon - tell me why?
Diabolical Driving Records - matt35 {P}
They were all on a bus singing that diabolical song.
Yep OK Matt - got it now - were they singing along with Chris Rea on the Road to Hell.... .
Diabolical Driving Records - volvoman
"The Road to Hell" oh, you mean the A232! :)
For all you other backroomers thats the A232 which leads from Volvomans house to Croydon ( otherwise known as motoring hell on earth ).

Diabolical Driving Records - Phoenicks
In response to the original question i believe that there are 3 answers:

On bike - believe a guy got caught doing 171. dont know where.

In Car: didnt some scottish car dealer get caught doing 155mph in his M3.

however i heard a week or so ago that someone has been caught doing 173 or 176 (not sure which) in his Porsche 996 Turbo on the M25 - dont know how he got up to that on the M25?! - court cas pending...
Thanks for the info Phoenix - I can assure you that it is quite possible on the M25 which is of course the original ' Road to Hell' The Kent / Surrey section especially around Superbike time at Brands is favourite.
Diabolical Driving Records - Orson {P}
I seem to remember someone on a bike topping 155mph on the A38, outrunning the West Mids helicopter on the way, in about 1996ish.

Got collared because he blew his engine up and they caught up with him doing 25 with what was left of the bike.

O
80 mph on the Motorway - helicopter
I see in todays paper that an amendment to the Traffic Management Bill is proposed to raise the maximum speed on the Motorway to 80mph in exchange for lower limits in areas whee there are children.

I think this is a fair idea but the DoT is set to oppose it because faster speeds on Motorways would have 'a dangerous impact on road safety.' Why?

Lets be frank , most motorways I've been on if you're doing 70 you're being passed by everything so why is it such a bad idea to increase the motorway limit by such a reasonable margin ?
80 mph on the Motorway - CM
Because if the DoT admits that 80mph is fine on the m,way then their theory that 33% of accidents come from speed (the actual figure is 7%) comes a little unstuck.

Personally if the limit was 80 then I think that people would tend to stick to this limit more.
80 mph on the Motorway - Dipstick
Personally if the limit was 80 then I think that people would tend to drive 10mph faster than they do now.
80 mph on the Motorway - teabelly
I think it is a good idea as the defacto speed on the motorway is around 80 in good weather anyway. The reducing the speed limit to 60 in bad weather is an excellent idea and should slowly impinge upon those that just do whatever the limit is regardless of conditions.

The impact on safety comes from the idea that whenever you go faster accidents will happen more frequently and have more serious consequences. This isn't always the case as research has pointed out. The actual impact speed can vary widely and that is the important measurement rather than what speed the car was doing before the incident started to unfold. There is an interesting article on safespeed about the general thinking behind the physics approach to road safety that seems to have been adopted. It is just directed at speed though not any other aspect of driving.

Article is here:
www.safespeed.org.uk/conspiracy.html

The worrying aspect in all this is that the death and serious injury rate in 20mph areas is in fact higher than in 30 mph areas so reducing areas to 20 mph could lead to the opposite of what is intended. The reason for this anomaly is unclear though.
teabelly
80 mph on the Motorway - OldPeculiar
I like the quote from a labour MP with regards to variable limits based on conditions:

"For too long we've had over-simplistic speed limits."

Is it just me or have the wide varity of speed limits on the roads (other than m-ways) been getting too complex of late?

IMO it's the speed differential on motorways which is most dangerous. Increasing the limit can only make that worse. The thing that would most enhance my driving experience on the motorway is to introduce a MINIMUM speed limit of say 50 and ban lorries from overtaking during rush hour (or at least force one of them to yeild to the other)
IMO it's the speed differential on motorways which is most dangerous.

Incorrect. As all the traffic is travelling in the same direction it is actually less.
80 mph on the Motorway - OldPeculiar
I'm thinking more of the ease of driving and avoiding people rather than the relative speed at impact. I've driven in America on several occasions and found driving on the freeways a lot easier where everyone goes about the same speed then driving on the M4 over here. Something that my collegues in the states find as well when they come and visit.
Since variable speed limits were brought in on the M25, I have always thought that this could be applied throughtout the m,way network.

Why not have a limit of 90mph at 3am on a dry summers night and 50mph on a wet Friday afternoon rush hour.

The roads are constantly monitored so it can't be too difficult.
CM - I tend to agree that variable limits are the answer. The M25 flows much better in the rush hour provided the injunction is adhered to by everyone to STAY IN LANE. The problem arises on the M25 when the traffic needs to merge into the nearside lane or cross lanes to leave, witness crossover carnage at the M3 junction in the rush hour.

The most annoying feature of motorway driving to me is the overtaker who is going less than 1 mph faster than the car or lorry they are overtaking for fear of breaking the limit and therefore takes an eternity to get past causing frustration and queues behind.On the M11 ( two lane section )I travelled behind two lorries at less than 60 mph from Junction 10 to 11 with this scenario of one trying to overtake the other and this caused intense frustration around 6 miles. They were still blocking everyone when I left at J11.

IMO Variable speed limits, stay in lane and over and undertaking should be allowed.
80 mph on the Motorway - BrianW
The infrastructure for variable limits is alraedy there, in the form of the central reservation indicator boards.

However, the operation would have to be a damn sight better than at present, when if they are used at all, a fog warning, lane closure or speed restriction is put up and then left on for hours after the need has passed, resulting in the general assumption that they cannot be believed and are therefore largely ignored.
80 mph on the Motorway - RoadDevil
I hate to admit it but the French seem to have a sensible arrangement, ie, 130Kmh (82mph) on a dry road and 110Kmh (68mph) in the wet. Not that they have seemed to have obeyed these limits in the past, although I hear this is changing, up to 105mph seemed very common and easy to copy!

I agree, there would be more chance of 80mph being obeyed and would also mean there was a differentiation between a motorway and dual carriageway A road. At the moment traffic seems to drive at similar speeds on both when the A roads have sharper bends, shorter sliproads (pet hate, Newbury bypass!) or flat junctions as well as tractors, etc!
Mods - So this is where you hid my Diabolical Driving Records thread !!

And this one too now.

Its magic how quickly it disappeared.

I wondered whether I had said something wrong and Croydon were threatening to sue or Cliff was going to send the boys round for slagging off Summer Holiday!

Suppose I'll have to start a non speed related thread. I know - Bull Bars !

80 mph on the Motorway - Mark (RLBS)
>>Suppose I'll have to start a non speed related thread. I know - Bull Bars !

Gelieve niet te controversieel te zijn. Ik drijf 4x4, hoewel het niet bullbars heeft.
!
Gelieve niet te controversieel te zijn. Ik drijf 4x4, hoewel het
niet bullbars heeft.

double Dutch mate
80 mph on the Motorway - topaktas
Gelieve niet te controversieel te zijn. Ik drijf 4x4, hoewel het niet bullbars heeft

x 2 = double Dutch

But to pick up on earlier points in this thread, I seem to remember that, years ago, perhaps when speed-measuring devices were first introduced, there was a story that a Ferrari driver was stopped on the newly-opened M4, having been clocked at 137mph. The police ticked him off and sent him on his way with the request that he ought not to do it again "as it plays havoc with our instruments".

As for poor old (young?) pdc and his x to y in no time at all story, my claim to fame is Milan to Paris (over the Alps) in one day (in a Fiat 500 in 1972).
80 mph on the Motorway - GrumpyOldGit
An on-line translator gives this -

"Gelieve niet te controversieel te zijn. Ik drijf 4x4, hoewel het niet bullbars heeft"

"Please not too controversial to be. I float 4x4, although the bullbars do not have"

That's much clearer!
Record Speeding Fine. - GrumpyOldGit
Millionaire gets record speeding fine

HELSINKI (Reuters) - One of Finland's richest men has been fined a record 170,000 euros (115,000 pounds) for speeding through the centre of the capital.

Jussi Salonoja, 27, heir to his family's sausage business, was caught driving 50 miles per hour in a 25 mph zone last Thursday, the police said on Tuesday.

Finnish traffic fines vary according to the offender's income and, according to tax office data, Salonoja's 2002 earnings were close to seven million euros (4.7 million pounds).

The final penalty could still change when the case is eventually heard by a Helsinki court, as was the case with Nokia executive Anssi Vanjoki, whose 116,000 euro (79,000 pounds) speeding fine was slashed by 95 percent in 2002 due to a drop in income.

If Salonoja's penalty stands, it will beat a speeding fine of more than 80,000 euros paid by Internet millionaire Jaakko Rytsola in 2000, and the 35,000 euro (23,000 pounds) fine imposed on Nokia President Pekka Ala-Pietila in 2001 for running a red light.
Record Speeding Fine. - smokie
Re the 80 mph thing, the last time this was floated there was word that along with the New Increased Speed Limits came zero tolerance. None of this + 10% + 2mph or whatever it is.

Which pretty much leaves it status quo...

Still as an election pledge it is worth [complete in two words or less...]
Record Speeding Fine. - pdc {P}
The claim that people will travel at 90mph if the limit is raised to 80mph baffles me. Do the powers that be think that motorists break the law just so that they can break a law, rather than travel at a sensible speed?
Record Speeding Fine. - Adam {P}
Something worries me aboutthe governments plans in this case to raise the motorway speed limit in exchange for lower speed limits elsewhere. I fully advocate higher speed limits where appropriate; after all - these limits were set when cars had pencil thin tyres. However - as mentioned earlier - the government is also stating that if this were to come into force, there would be zero tolerance. As the media appears to be catching on to the oppression of speeders* it would be a shame if this were to change and there would be no way to fight back. For example - whereas you may here a conversation now;- "I've been done for doing 35mph" people will sympathise with you. If this new plan happens, would you alienate everyone you know for doing 21mph in a new SAFE zone. Hope that makes sense....no it doesn't
* I DON'T AGREE WITH STUPID SPEEDING - IF YOU DO 50MPH PAST A SCHOOL - THEN THAT IS CRAZY BUT 75MPH ON A SUNDAY MORNING SHOULDN'T INCUR A PENALTY.
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
Record Speeding Fine. - Adam {P}
whoops - that should mean 75mph on a quiet motorway - not 75mph on a Sunday past a school :-) Sorry
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
Record Speeding Fine. - SR
In reply to pdc\'s post:-

\"The claim that people will travel at 90mph if the limit is raised to 80mph baffles me. Do the powers that be think that motorists break the law just so that they can break a law, rather than travel at a sensible speed?\"

That\'s exactly what a lot of people do. They know the limit is 70, but they hear stories about being allowed to do the limit plus 10% plus 2, so they regard that as the limit. Then if they hear that policy is not to prosecute under 85, they\'ll do that...... Some people will always try to get away with as much as they can.

Instead of a 70 limit hoping people will stick to 80, why not just make life easier and have a properly-enforced 80 limit, with no \" this and a bit of that\" on top.

Also support minimum speed limits - there\'s always an alternative route for slower vehicles/drivers.
Record Speeding Fine. - Altea Ego
I heard some transport spokesman (cant remember if it was labour or tory) on R4 last night.

That is precisely what they said they would do. 80MPH limit on motorways, no leeway of any kind, 1mph over 80 and you get knicked. Seems fair enough to me. They also said this would be in conjunction with lower localised town limits of 20mph (past schools parks etc). Not sure if they want the no leeway on this limit either, but again seems fair enough.

From a personal view I would happily swop an increase in motorway for a decrease in local town areas, and would be happy with a no leeway speeding policy, at least you know where you stand, no arguments.
80MPH - No Tolerance - johnwharrison
In order to enforce this "proposal" that the limit is raised to 80mph, and +1mph will seee you fined, then I suggest they come round to everybody's house first and calibrate every speedometer perfectly!
80MPH - No Tolerance - Mark (RLBS)
Why ? Speedometers are not permitted to read under, although they may read over upto 10%.

By the way, I assume that everybody realises that a speed limit is just that; a "limit". Its not compulsory to drive at that speed exactly. So if you are one of the people who maintains that you cannot watch the road, the hazards and control your speed accurately, try driving under the speedlimit.
Record Speeding Fine. - Bromptonaut
80, 90 or even the ton in a modern car will be far safer than 70 in the Morris Minor and similar that were mainstream cars when the current limit was set.

However the real reason it won't happen is practical politics. Raised limits will only be in force days before the papers are full of the bereaved (and probably photogenic) wife/mother claiming x would still be alive if the callous politicians had not given in to the road lobby.
$216,900 for a speeding fine? - THe Growler
Finnish Police Give Record Speeding Fine
Tue Feb 10,12:49 PM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

HELSINKI, Finland - Police gave a record $216,900 speeding ticket to a millionaire under a system in which traffic fines are linked to an offender's income.

The Iltalehti tabloid reported that millionaire Jussi Salonoja zoomed through the city center last weekend in a 25 mph zone and police handed him a ticket of $216,900. It didn't say what his speed was. The fine was based on information they got directly for the inland revenue office, the Tuesday report said. Salonoja, 27, could not be reached for comment, and police declined to discuss the alleged speeding incident until it reaches the Helsinki Regional Court at a later date.

Although it's the costliest ticket to date, it's not the first with a big price tag. Two years ago, Anssi Vanjoki, then executive vice president of Nokia's mobile phones division, landed a $148,000 ticket after being caught doing 46 mph in a 31 mph zone on a motorcycle. It was later lowered to about $7,500 after he showed a court that his income had dropped, but not before Finns flew into a rage over the high fine. But, after weeks of Parliament debates, discussions on TV shows and expressions of disgust in the media, Finns did nothing and the system remained.

Other hefty speeding tickets have included a $71,000 one for a
professional hockey player and one for $190,000 given to one of Finland's wealthiest people.

$216,900 for a speeding fine? - OldPeculiar
Sounds like a good idea to me. Too many people seem to regard fixed speeding parking fines etc. as simply a 'charge for a service'
$216,900 for a speeding fine? - Dipstick
If fines were related to income, then if I speed at 50 in a 40 I get fined lots of money (not that I\'m rich). Fair enough. No problem.

If little S Croatby (uninsured, no tax and successfully hides his income by flogging his nicked goods for cash down the pub anyway) speeds at 50 in a 40, then he gets fined a fiver. I\'m not sure I\'m comfortable with that.

If he *doesn\'t* hide his income successfully, then *he* gets fined lots of money. Which he doesn\'t pay.
$216,900 for a speeding fine? - John R @ Work {P}
Hot off the BBC World News site...

Finn\'s speed fine is a bit rich

It is not just Finland\'s successful rally drivers who put their feet down
One of Finland\'s richest men has been handed a record 170,000 euros speeding ticket, thanks to the country\'s policy of relating the fine to your income.
Jussi Salonoja, the 27-year-old heir to a family-owned sausage empire, was given the £116,000 ticket after being caught driving 80km/h in a 40km/h zone.

Helsinki police came up with the figure after tax office data showed that Mr Salonoja earned close to £7m in 2002.

see news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3477285.stm

John R
scameras - second NIP - moonshine
A while back I bought a pug for my dad. Initially I put it in my name as my dad was in the process of moving house. After a few weeks I sent the log book back to change the keeper to my dad. In the meantime my dad was snapped by a speed camera - no real issue here, he was speeding 65mph in a 50mph limit dual carrigeway.

The NIP came through to me which I sent back (recorded delivery) naming my dad as the driver and giving his new address. Now about one month later I get another NIP for the same offence with "reminder" written on the top. Well I've already sent one form back so why have they sent another? Should I bother to return this one?

Any ideas what this is all about?

scameras - second NIP - Armitage Shanks{P}
I think you will only be delaying the inevitable but why not write back quoting the recorded delivery reference number and/or a photocopy of the receipt that you got when it was posted? Or you could try the "Not Signing" approach. Keep a correspondence going and they may get bored and drop it. Good luck whatever you do.
scameras - second NIP - TrevorH
Give them a call. I too had a NIP reminder but on phoning them found it was sent in error. They had intended to send an offer of a Speed Awareness Course instead.
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - arnold2
From the Times...

www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,588-1006376,00.ht...l

"The autobahn speeder known as Turbo-Rolf, who contributed to the death of a young woman and her daughter, was jailed for 18 months today."

Just got back from a trip across Europe, and I must say the standard of driving in Germany on their motorways is DANGEROUS ! You overtake at 85mph, Hans comes up behind you @ 150mph and tailgates you, far closer than the nice reps on the M25 ! Seriously scary, and as you'll see from the article ended in this poor womans' death.

My method in our New Beetle, which has nice sharp brakes, is to stamp on them to get idiot of your back if it's becoming a hazard situation (and you can't move out of the way) - anyone any other ideas ?!
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - cryhavock
Let me see, did I get this right - you have somebody driving very fast tailgating you, and you think it is becoming a hazard - so your response is to stamp hard on your brakes???

Sorry, but I don't think two wrongs make a right, or two hazards make a safe situation...

The correct answer is: get out of the overtaking lane as soon as possible, and do not ever stay in it if you don't have to.
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - Colin M
My method in our New Beetle, which has nice sharp brakes, is to stamp on them to get idiot of your back if it's becoming a hazard situation

I think you need to question your own driving standards if this is how you behave on the roads. Turning one persons bad habit into a potentially lethal situation by stamping on your brakes isn't my idea of resolving a "hazard situation". Buy yourself a copy of Roadcraft next time you're in W H Smiths.

Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - pdc {P}
having driven the autobahns many times, I have to say that if you use your mirrors frequently you won't find yourself overtaking at 85 with someone bearing down on you at 150. You would drop your speed and wait for the faster car to pass.
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - arnold2
actually, what I meant was overtaking say a lorry doing 65, then having nutter bearing down on you, flashing his lights a few feet from you, whilst you can't go anywhere ! This happened a couple of times - not sure where driver wanted me to go - into the Lorry ! In this case only, I think a short tap on the brakes is better than having him rear-end you in an accident.....
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - OldPeculiar
I would suggest a flash on the rear fogs or squirt of the rear washer jet is probably a safer method of getting your message across, a short tap on the brakes may well cause him to rear end you.
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - Flat in Fifth
pdc hits the nail on the head with that post.

Comment on arnold2.

Piece of advice: if you are on German autobahn and you want to move into the lane on your left, take a long hard look in the mirror, look as far as you can see into the distance behind you. Then take another, and then maybe a third.

If there is anything there and you have any doubt about its closing speed then DO NOT change lanes unless you are 110% sure you can out, make the overtake and return to the lane on your right in good time.

You might like to read the following good advice > www.safespeed.org.uk/tailgate.html

Comment on Turbo-rolf .

There is more to the story than is apparent from the selective reporting in the UK press. At no point was Turbo-Rolf closer than 20m to the vehicle driven by the woman who then panicked and lost control of her car, not far enough I know but that is not the point.

If both drivers in the incident had been more aware and considerate of their position and speed relative to other traffic then this would never have happened.

To explain the above in simple terms the woman who sadly died would never have pulled out into the path of much faster traffic and T-R would have maintained a lower differential speed. This is a classic case of someone being punished for the effect rather than the cause, eg Mr Hart, Selby Train crash.

I keep my differential speed to 30 kph max, ie someone doing 160 then my max is 190 and so on. Most of the time when not in following position I'm at or around 130-150 as the density of traffic doesn't safely allow much more apart from an odd burst in clear sections. I'm not saying this is best practice, it just works for me and comfortable with it.

Have never and I repeat never been subjected to the tailgating arnold 2 describes. There must be a reason why, I think I know why.

All in my personal opinion.

FiF
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - Hull4000
3 points:

1. Why have a speed limit if one is not necessary e.g. empty motorway on a dry Sunday morning. We should be allowed to drive as fast as we want. Speed should be only limited when there is a reason e.g built up area, busy traffic, poor weather. We should therefore have variable speed limits on motorways with the option of unlimited speeds when raods are safe and clear.

2. Lorries should be restricted to the inside lane with overtaking allowed only in designated areas. This would avoid the ridiculous overtaking by lorries on steep hills at 40mph resulting in queues of cars in the 3rd lane.

3. For the other lanes (2, 3 and 4), overtaking and undertaking should be allowed (for cars and motorcycles).

Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - smokie
Re point 2, more bunching is caused by lane 2 hogs than lorries overtaking up hills...
Autobahn speeder jailed for 18 months - Flat in Fifth
Re point 2, more bunching is caused by lane 2 hogs
than lorries overtaking up hills...

Maybe so but wait till all those vehicles >3.5t mgvw get 90 kph speed limiters, not so long now!!!

Then we'll see snail racing par excellence!