No public transport! - drink drivers! - Perturbed
We live about 7 miles north of Newcastle Upon Tyne. A group of six of us decided to go out on New Years day to Newcastle city centre as it is a great day out. Here's how it went

1)Train - phoned the train company for shuttle service info and was told there would be no local trains on New Year at all.

2)Bus - phoned the local bus company and was told there would be no buses running on New Year.

3)Metro - We could get to the local Metro but on phoning the Metro company we were told that there would be no trains running on the Metro system on New Year

So, there is no public transport in the region whatsoever on New Year. I know the employees of these companies would like time off at this time of year also, but there must be some that would be willing to keep a service running for additional pay. The government is trying to get us onto public transport - well that's a laugh!

Never mind, there is always the good old taxi to get us through. We phone for a taxi and were told it would be £40 there and £60 back, maybe more. One hundred quid for a 15 mile round trip! Obviously the taxi companies are taking advantage of the lack of public transport. By the way the fare is normally around £15 there and £20 back.

Hardly encourages people not to drink and drive. And before anybody jumps on this, I don't or never will drink/drive, neither do I condone it at all. I'm referring to people of less willpower who no doubt will be on New Year as a result of this madness............oh and haven't the goverment got a thing about drink driving also?

Well for us the outcome is that we will be staying locally and walking to the pub instead!
No public transport! - drink drivers! - Thommo
Or if there's a group of you get some booze and stay at home. The way we are ripped off in this country for 'special events' is just untrue.
No public transport! - drink drivers! - PoloGirl
Do you really need to drink to have a good time? I'll be driving New Years Eve. Nice warm car, parking near to the club, no four hour queue for the taxi when we come out, and above all a clear head to drive back to Wolverhampton on New Years Day.... and spend the rest of the year reminding my friends that I can remember everything they were doing as the clocks turned 12. :)

Not wanting to preach at you or anything, but isn't the important thing seeing in the new year with your friends and loved ones, getting home safe and warm and being thankful that you have somewhere safe and warm to go home to?

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant... one very anti New Year Pologirl I'm afraid - I hate the whole "must go out and get drunk just because the number on the end of the year is changing" thing. We'll all still be just as fat/ugly/poor/whatever on the 1st Jan as we were before midnight and I can't see any reason to celebrate that!
No, I don't need to - I want to!

You'll note its not New Years Eve I'm talking about, its New Years Day. No-one said anything about getting so drunk that I won't be able to remember anything, just bear in mind that 1 to 1.5 pints can see you over the limit and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Your worse than my Mum! (and I'm 42)
No public transport! - drink drivers! - PoloGirl
Sorry! I've just re-read that and it did come on a bit mum-like! Perhaps I should totally shoot myself in the foot and admit that I'm driving on NYE partly because I felt so ill after my antics at the weekend!

At 23, I'm soooooo not ready to be anyone's mum!

LOL - Have a good New Year!
No public transport! - drink drivers! - kithmo
What you need is a friend or neighbour who doesn't drink (or at least isn't drinking that night), who owns a people carrier (or a seven seater car) and will drive you and pick you up later for £50, that's a saving of £50 on the taxi and it's only gonna cost them about £4 in petrol, so they'll be making a £46 profit.