lambda sensor experts - steveo30
i have a air/fuel gauge in my car(91 vw g60) and it has stopped cycling at idle. i swaped gauges and checked the wiring still no joy..so i tested the voltage at the o2 signal wire,it gave .6volt steady at idle...at cruise it cycles normaly

the car starts and drives noramly and doesnt seem to make any black smoke

can anyone give any help on what to do next...and would i be better using a bosch o2 sensor rather than the no name brand i have in there now
cheers
lambda sensor experts - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
What model VW is it? Can't seem to find much info on any of the G60 models so it is unclear whether the O2 sensor is part of the management system or just to drive the gauge. 0.6v is normally the rich end of the scale, telling the system to 'go weak'.
How many wires on the sensor? From memory there are normally 4 wires 1-grey,1-black and 2-white wires. the grey (earth) wire is normally terminated on the bracket that carries the plug and socket into the loom. From the sound of it, if the sensor cycles ok when at cruise the heater element or its supply or earth (2 white wires) may have failed and the sensor is relying on the latent heat from the exhaust to get it running but it goes 'back to sleep' at idle. Buy Bosch, every time, by the way!
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
lambda sensor experts - Peter D
I'm with Andrew here and I've been there with an open cct heater, the good news is that it was the earth tab connection corroded and a new sensor was not required. Regards Peter
its a golf g60 2wd 1991.its a lhd german import...so your saying check the wiring,it does look ok and the gauge has worked..it has 3 wires..signal,power,earth
btw.its a PG engine same as a corrado g60...any suggestions on a cheep source for bosch sensors
any more comments lads??
lambda sensor experts - Peter D
Yes measure the Power to earth resistance and come back. from memory should be 4 to 6 ohms. Too cold to go to the garage to check. -6 degrees here at the moment. Regards Peter
ok ,i'll check and get back to you on that
cheers