Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - Andrew

Any ideas why my 1996 petrol 1108cc Fiat Punto 55 SX should give my wife strife when cold-starting?

In the 3 years I've owned it, it has only once not started correctly for me, yet in the last 8 months it has stalled immediately after firing, when she's started it from cold.

We follow the same starting procedure; the only difference in the past was that my wife used to wait for the injector lamps on the dash to go out because she was used to my old diesel cavalier, but now she does the same as me and it still happens occasionally!!

But I can't see any logical reason for it. We use the same keys, it doesn't depend on the weather, nor does it follow periods of town use as opposed to motorway use (or vice versa).

Typical usage was originally weekend motorways, with hardly any town use, but in the last 4 months it's been used 3 or so times per week for commuting 5-10 minutes to work; weekend motorway use continues.

Otherwise, the car performs fine in all respects, economical and reliable.

Has anyone any similar experience of cold-starting troubles or useful insight to share? No sexism though please!!

Thanks!
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - Mark (Brazil)
bet I can guess...

Ask her to start it while you are watching and focus on her right foot. Is it moving differently to yours in the same situation ?
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - David Woollard
That was going to be my post exactly!

David
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - Andrew
Sorry Mark & David,

I'd already suspected this and checked - we both do the same, ie no throttle as per the handbook recommends!

Thanks though - any further ideas?
Andrew
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - Richard Hall
I had a Punto of this age as a courtesy car once. I found it was very easy to confuse the engine management system when starting either hot or cold, simply by depressing the accelerator (I was used to carb-fed vehicles, and it was a difficult habit to break). The car would then be almost impossible to start. Suggest not touching the accelerator pedal until the engine has fired up and settled into a smooth idle. Hope this helps.
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
Beat me to it Richard!!!
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - Andrew
Thanks,

"unfortunately" we both use the same method as per handbook of no throttle until fired and settled.

Any other ideas?
Andrew
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - David Woollard
It can only be her personal magnetism affecting the ECU.

David
Re: Fiat Punto Cold-Starting - Keith Corless
I have a similar problem with a Fiesta (1993) (78K miles). My daughter tends to depress the accelerator like your other correspondents have commented. Something to do with the cat getting juice in it. Then it is a real pain. Apparently these engines have a reputation for it. The tip I was given and it works 9 times out of 10. If it won't start in said situation is to keep the accelerator fully depressed and keep the starter motor engaged continuously until it picks up. It will be very lumpy at the start but will rapidly fire normally. 30 - 50 secs is not unusual. (Tends not to do the starter motor much good!!).
Another tip I was given was to remove one of the fuses. I did not bother to find out since my daughter has figured out how not to depress the acc pedal.
Corky