53 or 04 reg. Does it matter? - Robbie
I've ordered a new car which is due in Feb or March, and yesterday I realised that there is a change in the registration in March, from 53 to 04. Anyway, I 'phoned the dealer and asked to have the vehicle registered for the 1st March or later, so that I will take delivery then, rather than in February.

Have I made a wise move, or do you think it makes no difference about the registration mark and date?

53 or 04 reg. Does it matter? - Roger Jones
I do wish the government had changed the whole numbering system to unhook it from the passage of time. Sadly, I guess there were too many interests vested in spurring the new-car market on a regular basis.

Anyway, if you take the view that I did when I last bought a car new, you won't care a hoot because you'll be keeping it long enough for it to matter very little when you dispose of it. But I know I am in a minority with that approach.
53 or 04 reg. Does it matter? - Robbie
I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm not concerned about the snob value of on 04 plate as I have a personalised number. I'm thinking that I might replace this car in three years and I don't want the dealer to knock a chunk off the part-ex value.
53 or 04 reg. Does it matter? - DavidHM
You'll probably find that the difference, at three years old, is something like £300 on a £10k car, probably not much more on a £20k car. It's not a huge amount of money, so if you need to rent a car, or can get a commensurately bigger discount by buying a 53, it's not worth waiting.

However, you may as well stick with your current car for the extra couple of weeks if that's all it going to cost you.

Ask Honest John

Value my car