Avensis 22mpg - ouch! - Ben79
I had a lift in a 2.0 petrol auto Avensis last night. The trip computer was showing average economy 22.6mpg when I got in, rose to 22.7 during the journey and dropped to 22.5 while going up the hill to my house. The engine was warm at the beginning of the journey.

Still, the ride was surprisingly comfortable and the sat nav impressive as it told you the name of the road you are currently on. The destination had not been entered into the sat nav.

I'll stick with my C5 for now thanks, double the economy for filling up at a different pump and stirring the gears yourself.

A good effort Toyota, 9 out of 10. I'd personally make the seats more French.
Avensis 22mpg - ouch! - nick
I'm afraid I can't see the logic in comparing a petrol auto with a diesel manual. If the Avensis was a manual diesel the difference in mpg would be much less, if any. Plus the Toyota will keep going while the C5 is likely to be plugged in to the diagnostic computer on a regular basis.
Avensis 22mpg - ouch! - Ben79
True, a comparison cannot be made, but why would a taxi be a top of the range Avensis with leather, sat nav and every option you can think of? Not much to make out of £1 odd a mile.
Avensis 22mpg - ouch! - nick
It does seem an odd choice for a taxi. Mind you, I've seen petrol Senators and Omegas as cabs, I can't believe it pays.
Avensis 22mpg - ouch! - peterb
You're assuming the trip computer in the car is accurate. I've never tested it scientifically, but I'm not convinced by the one in Mrsb's Yaris.
Avensis 22mpg - ouch! - xam
These computers tend to read high if they've just been reset.
My 2 year old Previa has the same problem, you need to do about 50 Km before the reading is accurate.
On a 2,500 mile touring holiday in Northern Germany in Sept. Which included a 1,000 miles of Autobahn with two bikes on the roof and numerous "Staus", I averaged 27mpg, verified by petrol purchases, which I thought was excellent for a big car.

Xam
Avensis 22mpg - ouch! - xam
These computers tend to read high if they've just been reset.
My 2 year old Previa has the same problem, you need to do about 50 Km before the reading is accurate.
On a 2,500 mile touring holiday in Northern Germany in Sept. Which included a 1,000 miles of Autobahn with two bikes on the roof and numerous "Staus", I averaged 27mpg, verified by petrol purchases, which I thought was excellent for a big car.

Xam
Trip computer accuracy - Ben79
My trip computer always gives pessimistic readings, continually 2 to 2.5mpg below my manual calculations.