Poorly Polo - PoloGirl
Hiya...

1996 Polo has now done just over 68,000 miles.

I didn't drive it at all last weekend, and took it up to the petrol station on Monday to fill up. All seemed fine but after I had filled up and got on my way the engine seemed to die as I pulled away from a set of lights (no, I didn't stall..I felt it fading and then it died.)

It started again fine and has been fine ever since but, mother hen that I am, I'm a bit worried about him!

Could it be that he needs a new battery or was he just cold and sulking at not being used all weekend? And if he needs a new battery is it just a case of buying one from Halfords and popping it in, or is a mechanic's job?

Thank you!

Poorly Polo - frostbite
Given the cirumstances, I would guess a blocked breather in your filler cap, possibly cleared itself but worth a look.
Poorly Polo - lezebre
Doesn't sound like the battery, you know the battery's low on volts when it turns the engine too slowly for starting. The car will get used to you being at the helm again, and if there is no reoccurance it's probably best to ignore the hiccup.
LZ
Poorly Polo - Civic8
May have been a bit off dirt thrown up by refilling which cleared there are many reasons for it but as long as it`s fine now I wouldn`t worry.It did start again so battery must be ok
Poorly Polo - Peter D
I suspect it was condensation on the ignition system/distributor cap and the short journey to the petrol station caused larger droplets to form and it just shut down. The other possibility is you have too many keys on your key ring and the weight of the keys are tugging at the ignition switch. Regards Peter
Poorly Polo - mondeoman10K
Hello
My daughters car had similar fault.
The engine would 'die' when engine slowed at say traffic lights/junctions.
Sorry I cannot be more specific, but it was due to something, which controls the air / fuel mixture. It becomes all gunged with white stuff.
It can be cleaned, but cheapest/best option is to get a reconditioned one from on-line scrapyard.
VW repair price was around £250
'Homer' VW mechanic repair, including part was less than £100.
Good luck.
Poorly Polo - sean
Pologirl,

Hi,

I haven't insulted you for ages.

I'm only here for 6 days, so get typing!

Now then, the car started, so your battery's OK.

Did you flood it?

Have you had it serviced recently?

Look at the air filter and inlet tract. Does it tick over?

Maybe time for a Lupo or new Polo.

I can help you.

Love,

Sean
Poorly Polo - Adam {P}
I've ranted on about my fiesta often enough on here so why waste another opportunity?

My car occasionally does something similar when first started in as much that it doesn't stall (although technically it would be classed as stalling :-) I would call it cutting out and sometimes (about 5 minutes after driving from cold, I will have about 25% power leading me to floor it which doesn't do much good until the problem, whatever it is, clears, and the car shoots off. The cutting out only occurs when stopping so that doesn't bother me as I can always restart but the low power thing is a little worrying as I don't want to be left in the middle of pulling out on someone with no power:-) THe problem is occasional and clears about 7 minutes into any journey.

Sorry but I thought I'd plug my problem in the same thread. I know it's not the same for Volkswagens but I got told something about the ECU

Regards
Poorly Polo - PoloGirl
Sorry but I thought I'd plug my problem in the same
thread. I know it's not the same for Volkswagens but I
got told something about the ECU

I had this exact problem with my Fiat Uno, and my dad was always telling me I'd flooded it, because by the time he got to it there was no problem! It was very satisfying to finally discover it was the ECU and not anything I was doing!

Poorly Polo - PoloGirl
Hello Sean! :-D
I haven't insulted you for ages.
I'm only here for 6 days, so get typing!
Now then, the car started, so your battery's OK.

Yes and he's been absolutely fine ever since...so glad it's not the battery - could do without spending any money on the car this side of Christmas!
Did you flood it?

Noooo.... er... I don't think so! It started first time at the petrol station and I hadn't been doing any of the things that used to flood my Uno.
Have you had it serviced recently?

Had it's 60,000 service in April I think, coming up to the 70,000 straight after Christmas.
Look at the air filter and inlet tract. Does it tick
over?

Sounds fine to me...
Maybe time for a Lupo or new Polo.

Naaa.... my next car is a Seat Ibiza, Skoda Fabia or Renault megane, but not til I graduate!

Thanks to you, and to everyone else who's given reassuring advice! I've filled up with petrol since then and it was all fine.

Edited by PoloGirl on 24/02/2009 at 23:33