Avoiding a ticket - Judge Justice Pickled-Onion
I say old chaps !!

What would be the legal position if one were to recieve a camera speeding ticket whilst one's vehicle were in the custody of a citizen from another country ?

Would the authorities pursue the foreign driver ?

Could be useful if one's employer has employees from Europe here.

now wait for it ...... "I had loaned my 1972 Mercedes Unimog Sports Extravaganza tow truck ( fitted with a Jet Engine from a Bell Helicopter ) to a portugese fisherman I met in a Pub in Whitley Bay, and Now I've recieved a ticket because he drove it up the Coast Road at 110 mph towing a hay baling machine. "

Serious question BTW....
Re: Avoiding a ticket - honest john
As long as you were insured 'any driver' and you gave a proper name such as Carlos Manana from Oporto I reckon you're off the hook.

Same could apply if you were a trader with 'any driver any car owned by you' trade insurance.

Assuming the camera only took a photo of the backs of your heads you could say that the car was being test-driven by a bloke who said his name was Judge Picked Onion from Whitley Bay, and no he didn't buy the car and no you don't have his address.

This would, of course, have to be factually correct, otherwise I would not dare to suggest such a thing.

HJ
Re: Avoiding a ticket - fred smith
u do not need "any driver" insurance

many other drivers are insured to drive "any other car not owned or hired by them" etc, as a 3rd party legal catch all

you could easily have left your keys at the pub for a bunch of your mates with such insurance to borrow as they chose... there would be nothing illegal in you doing this... you have done nothing wrong... they are all legal drivers... but you have no idea who was driving...
Re: Avoiding a ticket - Bob Harris
I raised a thread on Speed Cameras (16 Jul) about my car going through a speed camera when I and car were hundreds of miles away. (Turned out later my number had been cloned.) I wrote to police and asked for evidence etc. Did not reveal my alibi as next time may not be able to prove innocence. Got back a standard "Dear Sir/Madam" letter saying after review they had decided to take no action.

The point of this is that their 'review' of the speeding offence is almost certainly a case of them not being bothered to spend the time on disputed cases. I suspect most challenges would get the same response as I did.

Could I have details of the hay baling machine please; mine gets unstable over 85mph
Re: Avoiding a ticket - Andrew Bairsto
For a small fee I will act as corespondant to anyone requiring such services.
Andy Bairsto Germany
Re: Avoiding a ticket - Dave
Is this a serious offer?

I'd be happy to provide a reciprocol service.
Off course it is if it means somebody saving their licence.Unfortuneatly it does not work for me as German camaras photo you from the front and they are very good
Re: Avoiding a ticket - Alan
If the police do not bother to follow up cases with a foreign plate or driver this must be a case of racial descrimination against the British. The law should be there to protect everyone not just minorities,it just needs an enterprising lawer to take it up.
It is the fact that In mainland europe evidence will only be accepted when there is absolutely no doubt who the driver was ,a photo of the rear of the car is not admisable as evidence.You can only prosecute the driver not the owner.to do so would be an invasion of your liberties, unfortuneatly the UK will not implement the EU charter .That is why if the photo is blurred but they have the reg number but nit the face the driver cannot be prosecuted.
Re: Avoiding a ticket - Dave
A friendly rozzer reckons that the *only* motoring offence that will be pursued abroad is Death by Dangerous driving.

Get yourself a mate abroad and you need fear no more from cameras.
Re: Avoiding a ticket - Chris
In the days before wheel clamps became common a German friend of mine toured the UK in his battered Passat collecting parking tickets. After almost a year living here as a teaching assistant he went home with around 15 tickets, none of which were pursued to his home in Germany where the car was registered. Glasgow had the most stylish ones if I remember rightly.

Chris
Re: Avoiding a ticket - honest john
The Germans use TRUVELO (small box; two circular lenses). Most of the cameras in the UK are GATSO (big box; rectangular apertures). TRUVELO shoots from the front or the back; GATSO usually from the back. We have a few TRUVELOS. I think I remember one on the A1 in Sandy, Bedfordshire.

HJ
Re: Avoiding a ticket - Judge Justice Pickled-Onion
There are a couple of Truvelo Cameras on the A14 if this is the road leading to ipswich from the A1
Where are truvelos - Stuart B
HJ is quite right there is a truvelo on the A1 southbound at Sandy Beds, there are also a couple I recall on the A17 between Newark and Sutterton. One at least nearish to Cranwell east bound
Re: Where are truvelos - Jet Jockey8
There are 2 Truevelos, one at each end of Great Barford between the end of the Bedford by-pass and the A1 North of Sandy (The Black Cat roundabout) They are triggered by strips in the road, not radar. They are usually set to take a picture of front of the car so they will picture the driver too and maybe in a way which would prove his identity in Court so the "A potential buyer was driving" dodge may not work. They can also be turned round to take the back of the car, on the other side of the road. Each camera has a set of strips for each direction of travel. They were put in to appease the villagers who are fighting for a by-pass.