BMW 318 valvetronic petrol consumption - pete2003
I have a 318 with the new fuel efficient valvetronic engine. Does anyone with a similar car check their fuel consumption figures? I'm getting 43mpg on the motorway, and 33mpg on A roads. This seems less than BMW's own figures. Is this normal? Also, does it make any difference using Super Unleaded, and if so is this worthwhile financialy?
BMW 318 valvetronic petrol consumption - leigh1
I have the same engine in a 3 series coupe. Spends most of it's life (80%) on the motorway and the fuel computer seems to always say 38.1 which is below the official figures. Still love the car although the engine is hopeless at low revs.

Don't know about super unleaded, never tried it.
BMW 318 valvetronic petrol consumption - NitroBurner
It is a well known fact that real life mpg is poorer than official figures. The only thing to be said about them is that they are good for comparison purposes...
I found that one of the oxygen sensors was broken. This has now been replaced and figures have improved significantly!
BMW 318 valvetronic petrol consumption - DavidHM
Really? My Focus 1.6 lives on the motorway and gets about 36 mpg, so I'm impressed.
DavidHM{p}- now the sonsors fixed it's doing 40mpg on an A road with quite heavy traffic, so should be even better on the motorway at 60-70mph! Maybe it's worth asking your garage to check you Focus to make sure the engine is optimally tuned, and there are no broken oxygen sensors or anything.