Motorway breakdown - catcher
I was giving advice to my daughter, who is a relatively inexperienced driver, on what to do in the event of a breakdown on the motorway and emphasising the importance of getting onto the hard shoulder. However, there are many sections of motorway with more than three lanes and I found myself struggling to think of the best advice to give if she breaks down in the outside lanes and is unable to get across busy lanes to the hard shoulder. I like to think that I have enough experience to make a 'reasonable' decision on what to do should it happen to me but I wasn't sure what advice to give an inexperienced driver. I've looked on various road safety sites for advice but without luck. Any thoughts anyone?
Motorway breakdown - Sooty Tailpipes
Well, I think if you're going so slow in the outside lane that you can't coast over, then you're probably in a traffic jam, in which case, if the car will move on the starter when in 3rd or 2nd gear (the starter has enough torque to move the car in a high gear) then try and move to the hard shoulder by signalling and moving through the queues.

If she's going fast, just declutch, mirror, signal, horn your way over, try coasting at the speed on a quiet road, you get plenty of time, tell her not to be afraid to experiment with things like this, its all good experience. .

I personally would park on the grass if possible, as far away from tired truck drivers as possible, then get out the car, and well up the bank.

Motorway breakdown - No Do$h
I personally would park on the grass if possible, as far
away from tired truck drivers as possible, then get out the
car, and well up the bank.

Not to mention with the passenger door ajar to allow prompt access should it be required (you never know if that knight in shining armour is quite what they make out to be) and, importantly, behind the car as well as up the embankment. A car can easily get forced through the armco and up the bank by 42t of artic.
Motorway breakdown - David Horn
Also, when she's calling recovery, she should remind them that she's a female on her own. That way she'll get priority rescue, and a police car may well be sent to keep her company.

But yes, in the outside lane, clutch in and you can coast for miles. People will move if you get the point across to them that you're coming through. However, I would reccommend against a panic swerve through three lanes of fast moving traffic ;)

Speaking of the starter motor trick, it'll also help you if you break down on a level crossing. (they don't want you to know that in the movies.)
Motorway breakdown - No Do$h
Ah, but it's always American movies and they are all driving autos, so no chance of pulling that trick.