Vectra di smoke. - Cyrill666 {P}
Hello,

I've noticed recently that my 1999 2.0 di Vectra produces smoke when under reasonable load, i.e. accelerating to join a 70mph traffic flow or perhaps pulling away quickly. (The car does have 111k on the clock)

Firstly it's worth pointing out that I've only noticed this in the headlights of the car behind - and therefore only noticed it recently (dark mornings/evenings) - may have been happening all the time.

Secondly it's not noticable during the day, and therefore not serious.

Thirdly have yet to notice it when starting from cold.

Fourthly it's due an oil change (7k since the last one) and this will be done this weekend.

To my question - is this anything to worry about? Or should I just keep an eye on it for now?

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Vectra di smoke. - steveh67
hi cyril i have the same with mine i wouldnt bother to much especially if your oil consumption is normal after all these engines (deisel) are oil burners.mine performs ok and the eco is v good but when i boot it hard it does give a puff of smoke.just keep an eye on yer dipstick. steve.
Vectra di smoke. - DL
No, it's nothing to woryr about at all - it's just the headlights of the following car highlighting the otherwise invisible normal combustion smoke from your car.

My car does it, as have other diesels I have driven.
Vectra di smoke. - Malcolm_L
I too noticed what I considered to be excessive smoke from my Passat 130 TDI, again in the following cars headlamps.
I thought it was greyish/blue rather than diesel black so I swapped cars with SWMBO and followed her whilst she accelerated at smartish rate in 3rd.
I wasn't happy at the amount of emission so I mentioned it at the next service, they didn't find anything but I then noticed my fuel consumption dropping slightly and even SWMBO thought the car wasn't right.
It went in again and came out with a new turbo-charger, thankfully under warranty (50k at 27 months).

Hope yours isn't this serious but you know your car better than most mechanics, if you see something that isn't normal chances are it isn't.