Glow plug removal - Peugeot 106. - SueH
My Peugeot 106 Diesel has a glow plug that is not functioning but can\'t be removed as it is stuck - Any one any ideas how to remove it?
Glow plug removal - M.M
Sue,

Stuck? How hard? Some are very tight and if you haven't experienced a bad one before it takes some nerve to apply the required force.

What are you using to remove it? Should be a deep hex fit socket on a 1/2" drive.

M.M
Glow plug removal - 659FBE
These can be a problem. Follow the advice above, and get a really well fitting deep socket before you start. (Halfords sell them cheaply). If your 106D has the later TUD5 engine, the size is 10mm.

Failing a reasonable "pull" using a T bar handle, so you exert no sideways force, you will have to take more severe measures. A method which has worked for me is to get the engine hot, and then spray the body of the glowplug with freezer spray as used in electronic assemblies for finding intermittent faults. Get a can with an extension tube. The plug will then generally shift with a "crack". If no luck, you will have to get really nasty with it and probably remove the head.

Assemble new plugs with "coppaslip" on the thread and taper, and remove them every 30k miles regardless. Do not overtighten as this can both damage the plug and make subsequent removal difficult as these have taper seats.

Best of luck - I hope you don't have to disturb a good engine.
Glow plug removal - SueH

Thank you for your reply - I think my brother said the top of the glow plug seems to be detaching from the bottom part of it. It is turning and leaving the bottom bit static. Will the long reach socket help this problem?
Sue
Glow plug removal - 659FBE
The body of a glowplug is steel and is made fom hex bar and is in one piece. The upper part with the stud terminal can come loose within the body, but you must use a deep socket (to clear the terminal assembly) in order to remove the plug. Go carefully, plug bodies are quite strong, but you will have a real problem if it snaps off in the head.

I should have said replace only with Beru plugs. They are superior to any others (and used as original equipment by PSA) and most aftermarket plugs are a complete waste of time, and not a lot cheaper.

Best of luck 659.
Glow plug removal - none
SueH,
It might be that the thread in the cyl head has stripped. This means that the plug turns, but won't unscrew. Could mean Cyl head removal.