Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Hugo {P}
How many other back roomers run a 'Commercial' vehicle for private use?

As many of you know I drive a SWB Renault Trafic van 2.4T gross weight as a private vehicle for property renovation, in the same way that some people may get an old banger for the same purpose.

I have problems at tips etc as they immediately assume I'm fly tipping, whereas I took more rubbish in the car and trailer and was never challenged.

If I go to a car boot sale in it I suspect I would be immediately accused of being a shifty dealer and charged twice the pitch price.

Life is hard.

There must be hundreds of thousands of UK residents driving transit sized vans or bigger for purely personal use. Indeed a friend of mine is into tractor ralleys and has an HGV which can transport two vintage tractors in one go.

Do you run such a vehicle privately and if so, what advangages and grief do you encounter?

H
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Dwight Van Driver
Have a polite word with Chris Eubank - artic units thimply the betht....

DVD
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Pugugly {P}
DVD,
without looking it up - does Eubank have an LGV licence ? - if not does he need one ? I don't think he needs an Operator's Licence, what about tax. These used to be straightforward in the old days.

Hugo,
If you're using it for property restoration is this not a business ?
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Dwight Van Driver
PU

Initially I would say an ordinary Part III Licence and an LGV Licence (HGV from my days).

But your question has more worms in it than a Fisherman's haversack.

Just what is the apparent American import vehicle index no. 1 KO which is used as a private gadabout?

It looks like an artic unit but there is no fifth wheel coupling or platform, just it seems a large box for tools?. Was one there originally and subsequently removed? What did it start out as?.

It certainly isn't a motor car because of its weight. An LGV - most probably because mpw exceeding 7.5 tonnes, but is it a goods vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage/haulage of goods. Private use and with no 5th wheel argument against. So is it a Motor Tractor or Locomotive i.e. used for the haulage of goods?. It is in this area that it will most probably be taxed. I cannot see it being classified PLG.

What is it's position re Test Certificate, Tachograph, Drivers Hours?????????

He will not need an Operators licence as he is not carrying goods in connection with a business (old C Licence)or for hire and reward (old A Licence).

This is one of those occasions that one seeks the advice of the experts i.e. the Licensing Authorities in the form of DVLA for DL classification and Traffic Commissioners re LGV Licence etc.

Long time ago when you were only a twinkle in PU Senior's eye, lorry chassis with only an engine and driving seat open to the elements were regular movers on Trade Licences on the A.1. from builders in the south to Coachworks in Scotland. What DL should the driver have and what was their speed limit? As far as I can recall they were untouchable as they could not be classified under the Law at that time.

So back to you, MLC and Full Chat.

DVD
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - none
I used to have a Fiesta van. The Southampton - Isle of Wight ferry operators used to charge me an extra fiver because it was a 'commercial' vehicle.
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - M.M
Hugo,

It just can't be avoided....so often you get caught in the "profile" of the vehicle you use.

Here you would be refused access to our tip and if you ever had reason to cruise around the village/farmland roads area looking for somewhere (however legit) we'd all be taking your number...and accidentally having the tractor blocking your return path so we could ID you and get a chance to "chat".

Reason....obvious really but so much of the pre-theft "surveys" and then the actual theft are carried out by folks in un-lettered vans.

As one old boy down the (dead end) drove says...."If I see um in a van mate I pulls the tractor and trailer out to stop um comming back past till I've had a word....no reason to be going about with an empty van looking down other folks drives is there?".

And broadly speaking he's right.

As you have so many cars perhaps you'll have to restrict the van's outings to business!

How do you find insurance. I've run vans privately in the past and had trouble from some insurance firms who are dead against such use.

M.M
MM

"How do you find insurance. I've run vans privately in the past and had trouble from some insurance firms who are dead against such use."

Commercial Vehicle Direct.

I think they've got a website poss something like www.cvd.co.uk.

PU - I don't carry out property renovations for a living or profit. I am currently renovating my own property. The one I finished recently is now rented out.

My own house has a timescale of about 3 to 4 years to finish and A van was considered to be the best option to avoid shortening the lives of perfectly good cars and the extra payload.

I realised this would be a good move when I went to collect a load of floor tiles in my Xantia. Only when I got home did I realise the rear suspension had not actually managed to go up at all throughout the whole journey. Fortunately - no lasting damage.

In general - I don't mind being stopped and questioned by concerned folk wherever I go. That's the kind of approach that will stop exploitation, theft etc and I'm all for it. MM your friend in the trator would most likely receive a warm reception from me provided he was polite and explained his concerns.

What gets up my nose is when, despite the fact that you explain that this vehicle may as well be a Sierra Estate for all the reasons I have it, they seem to be inflexable in their atitude. I even offered one chap in a tip to show him my insurance certificate to prove private use. Although he was understanding, he has rules to enforce regarding quantity tipped and vans are an obvious target, despite the fact that I take a lot of trouble to sort my waste prior to and during tipping, and tip less that many car drivers.

I know some tips operate a free permit system, whereby you register your van with them and are allowed so many visits a year. One or two more are allowed on discretion. I think this is the fairest way I have come across to deal with this problem yet. Cars are still waived through regardless though.

The moral of the story is, if you get into property renovation, buy an old Renault 21 estate for £100 fit a towbar and drag a large twin axle trailer. You'll never need to fork out for rubbish removal.

Hugo

Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Pugugly {P}
Sorry,
Made a presumption....bad ! I have had the same problem having recemlty loaded the Defender with rubble from the garden. It's all to do with landfill tax.
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - M.M
>>MM your friend in the tractor would most likely receive a warm reception from me provided he was polite and explained his concerns.

You'll be pleased to know he's quite fair Hugo. We let some new friends use our "place" and they went down in a smart vehicle usually associated with sensible wealthy folks....he still *got* them!

Our local tip is one of the most tightly managed I know. Everything gets sorted and they have the most amazing stock of sorted wheel trims/bikes/computers/doors/rabbit hutches/patio sets/lawn mowers etc.

They have "do not" notices everywhere and are quite picky about who is tipping and what they tip. Absolutely no car parts...ever!

Recently on a quiet weekday I was dumping some stuff and the guy who runs it was looking miserable. Knowing what he's like I shouted across "How are things mate, anything decent today?"

Without a trace of humour he calls back "No it's been all rubbish".

M.M

Sorry,
Made a presumption....bad !

Glad to hear the legal profession hasn't waivered in its careful analysis of the facts :)

H
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Godfrey H {P}
Hugo round our way twin-axle trailers are deemed commercial,a definite no no. You are even liable to get stopped in a private car if they have seen a lot of you on their video.
Well, the tipping Police haven't arrived my way yet!

Maybe I should consider myself lucky, with the amount I have tipped I should have been sent into exile years ago!

H
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Vansboy
My Mastro van, fully sigwritten with our business name & garage address, loaded with old kitchen floor, refused entry at our local tip, as 'they don't take builders rubble'!!

So try the Luton tip, when I'm over that way, can't even enter the place in a signwritten van, of ANY type!!

Eventually the floor went in the wheely bin week by week!

You can see why the lay-bys & fields are full of trash!!

VB
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Phil I
VB Have you tried a well folded £5 note as a permit to tip. Works well down this part of the woods.:-)

Happy Motoring Phil I
Commercial vehicles for Private use only - Rob the Bus {P}
VB - agree entirely. I used to be a mobile DJ and some of my friends and colleagues could only afford the one vehicle. Of course it was going to be a van so that they could transport their equipment to gigs.

Quite a few mates attempted to take genuine household detritus (great word, don't you think?) to the local tip only to be told that as they had a van they were clearly trade and so had to pay a premium.

Guess where the rubbish ended up?

Not everyone can afford to buy a 'normal' vehicle specifically to take rubbish to the tip and until councils recognise this, fly-tipping will be as prevalent as it always has been.

Hugo - we can only send you a postcard if you give us an address to send it too ;-)

Cheers

Rob
"Hugo - we can only send you a postcard if you give us an address to send it too ;-)"

The BR are my witnesses

Mark's got it, I've asked him to forward it to you.

H