Ford Focus - Focus door seals - craig-pd130

While on the road, I often see third-generation Focuses with a 12" strip of door seal sticking out from the bottom of the driver's door or the front passenger side door, like the door is chewing a giant liquorice bootlace.

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone know why the door seal on this model is particularly prone to getting snagged and detached?

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - Xileno

Yes I have noticed it. Poorly specified adhesive? Or maybe they're just pressed in?

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - Andrew-T

Yes I have noticed it. Poorly specified adhesive? Or maybe they're just pressed in?

21st-century cars may be different, but all the weatherstrips I have wrestled with have been push-fit, with a continuous internal metal gripper 'spring'. Over time this corrodes inwards from the open ends, which are usually at the bottom of the door opening. And I suppose that area gets kicked loose as people clamber in or out.

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - bathtub tom

That's nothing compared to the number of cars I see on motorways with (I presume) underfloor panels flapping in the breeze. Surely the occupants can hear them rattling away?

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - elekie&a/c doctor
The seal on the door , not the one one the door aperture, is held on with plastic “t “ clips. What often happens is the seat belt webbing gets caught in the door when closing , so when the belt is pulled before it’s fastened, it pulls the seal off its clips .
Ford Focus - Focus door seals - Richard M

The seals on the door on these models are stuck on and are a well known problem. Ford will happily sell you new seals at a price, but most people just use glue or double sided tape to stick them back on. I have done several areas on my doors.

Hope that helps

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - Paulsxf

Yes, we have 2 in the household both with the same problem. Contact adhesive appears to be the permanent solution for this.

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - S40 Man

We have a Focus 1.0 turbo 125 cracking car. It's been very reliable. We did have this door seal fail. Tried double sided tape of various sorts. None worked with for long. My best solution is to get some flexible rubber tubing and stick double tape along the side and slide it into the existing rubber seal. That worked a treat.

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - Steveieb

Having finally come to own a Toyota, which was taken in part exchange , as I have never been too keen on the styling , I have tackled a few small jobs myself.

The latest , with the help of Elekie Docs guidance was changing one of the door speakers. And removing the door card it brings it home about the amazing attention to detail the company puts into the simplest of things.

The way the plastic trim fits back into position with a positive click and door handles firmly anchored into place . So no rattles once back in place.

No one is going to see these things in the showroom , but maybe that’s why many Indies respect the brand and have no problem working on them !

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - Gillimarie
S40 Man had a fix for this. I just wanted a bit more info on exactly what he did!!
Ford want £160 to replace the seal.
So £60 roughly for the seal and £100 for labour.
Despite having an extended warranty, it isn’t covered.
I believe this is a fault with the newer cars.
Having had Fords in the family for over 50 years, this has only happened on my 2020 model and the previous 2915 model now driven by my son.
Crazy!
Thanks for any help.
Ford Focus - Focus door seals - geoffs

On my 2015 Ford Focus the seals were just glued onto the door.

When they came off and I was quoted a stupid price from the dealer I just glued them back on using a contact adhesive. This lasted until I sold the car in 2020.

Ford Focus - Focus door seals - John F

Our Mk1 Focus had about five tiny plastic grommets embedded in the black rubber strip which popped into tiny round holes along the bottom of the doors. It was worth pulling them off every so often because they concealed a metal seam over which a thin strip of sealant had been applied. A decade of slammed doors had resulted in (presumably) microcracks allowing rust to develop along the seam under the strip. If this is neglected it will rapidly (and invisibly) eat away the bottom of the door.