Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Paul Cliff

I've finally bought the car that I have always wanted.

I've had it for three weeks now. (Mazda MX5 RF)

I'm 6ft4" and although its not the best fit in the world I haven't got any adjustment to make it anymore roomier.

The seat is the furthest back, at the lowest position and the steering wheel is at its highest.

I don't fit in most cars but this is one I have always wanted so I compromised on the comfort.

I only use it for commuting so I am in it only for 45mins at the most in town traffic.

About a week ago I started have back problems on lower right side, backside and upper leg.

I explained this to the doctor and he mentioned it may be Sciatica which may be caused by either the exercise regime (which I started this week) or the car; I guess being low-slung and getting in/out.

Any thoughts on my position or will I have to bite the bullet and by something more my fit.

I bought the car cash so I can change it if need be,,,

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - _

I wrote in the forum last october about getting rid of the Kia Stonic I had bought a few weeks earlier.

I went from A Kia Sportage to the Stonic, and it was agony after a few weeks. Bit the bullet and went to a Ssangyong Korando, (Sportage size)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/159203/ssangyong-k...o--

Back and hips complaining.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=159092

It was torture...

Edited by _ORB_ on 06/05/2022 at 14:50

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Manatee

The seats in the Mk4 MX-5 are not in my opinion up to much.
I've a 2017 soft top which I love, but the seats I just put up with. Unlike most car seats and those in previous versions, they don't have a shell with foam on it, rather they use webbing. I liken them to deck chairs. There is no lumbar support to speak of.

I'm OK for an hour or two but for longer trips I have an inflatable cushion on standby which I put in my lumbar region to relieve my back a bit if necessary.

smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F8NX6D6/
seems to be out of stock.

smile.amazon.co.uk/Inflatable-ANGGREK-Washable-Bre.../

Another one

I know of an owner who has put his own lumbar support in using old number plates which can be fitted into the seatback frame, a bit like the slats in a bed base, and he has put the inflatable cushion between them and the seat leather.

If you can find a model with Recaro seats they are more padded and feel very different. More supportive but they do feel a bit "perchy" to me.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Miniman777
I had an MX5 (53 plate), great fun, but in my 60s I soon noticed back problems I’d never experienced with any other car, possibly exacerbated by the low level meaning more pressure on knees and back when getting out.

After it was sold, the problems disappeared.
Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - movilogo

Try with back seat rest/cushions from Amazon. They are cheap and you may have to try different one to see which one fits you best.

However, some cars will simply not suit everyone. If that is the case changing car is only option.

Typically if seat is uncomfortable, it will start to hurt you around 45 mins - 1 hour mark.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - sammy1

Conclusion is that you are too big for the car, even 45minutes if you have no wiggle room is enough to put undue pressure on the nerve. Very painful condition, did it start before the new exercise regime?

No it didn’t… it came on Monday… before any exercises. I’ve only done light exercise work two days this week… I think getting in the car isn’t a problem but getting out and upright is awkward… When I tested the car I was all up in the hype of getting one I never thought that the position would be a problem… Perhaps I should have looked at a more upright car…

Look at it this way, it will help you retain flexibility! And work on the technique for getting in and out. I get the right leg out and push myself up off the sill. I intend to keep it as long as I can get in and out. Unfortunately in is easier than out, so at that point I'll be stuck in it. Could be a Viking funeral.

I'm only just over 5''10" and it's quite cosy for me. Although no worse I think than the previous models on the measurements, it does feel small - partly because the windscreen is about 3" nearer on the Mk4.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - catsdad

I know it looks like you have tried all the adjustments but it may be worth one more try. HJ used to recommend the Loughborough ergonomics site for its suggested adjustment routine. Here is the link https://www.lboro.ac.uk/microsites/lds/drivingergonomics/

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Big John

I've had it for three weeks now. (Mazda MX5 RF)

I'm 6ft4" and although its not the best fit in the world I haven't got any adjustment to make it anymore roomier.

Cripes, 6ft4" and MX5! I'm also 6ft4" and really don't fit in one of these, although I admit I've not tried the latest model. Last time I tried one I looked something like Big Ears driving Noddy's car.

I had similar thoughts a few years ago after a Morgan factory tour but the thought bubble was burst when I discovered I could only push the clutch pedal down on the way into the car and release it on the way out.

Myself I don't fit well in many cars - driving Mrs BJ's Panda is, er interesting. I can just drive it but it's not at all comfortable for me - eg the space on the door card that is designed for you right knee to have room to move is way too far forward so my knee butts up against the door handle. When looking right I use the rear window and the seat belt mount is too far forward.

I've had a lot of trouble fitting in cars over the decades and it's getting worse as I get older. I got a lot of advice from my local chiropractor who I had taken on to try a fix problems caused by previous cars - I used to do very high mileages in cars that weren't really suitable.

In summary I'd go and see a good Chiropractor but I think the car will have to go! On the up side used car prices are holding up well.

Edited by Big John on 06/05/2022 at 19:43

Yeh I’m getting that feeling now…

Most of my other cars have never fitted me right at all…

Being tall isn’t fun is it… problem is all the more comfortable cars are the expensive ones I can’t afford..

I don’t think it’s the seat… it’s the cramped position and getting in and out…

It’s just annoying cos I’ve only had it three weeks and was hoping to keep it for many years…

But I guess at least I’ll be able to get my money back with the prices as high as they are..

It’s just what to have next for £17k…
It’s just what to have next for £17k…

Back in 1990 I'd been looking for something nice :-

Triumph Stagg - after restoring cars for years I'm fussy and couldn't find a good one and also I struggled to be able to fit properly , steering wheel got in the way! - so no go.

MGB - er no

In the end I built a kit car to fit me (JPR Wildcat 2+2 9" longer) - heaven for me but it was all wrong for my wife to drive far. Sadly I sold it after a few years as couldn't safely get my son in it once he got to the toddler stage. I wish I'd kept it, saying that getting in/out might be fun now 26 years later.

OK - back to reality. These days I've had two Skoda Superb's in a row. Bigger front doors (B pillar further back)and heaven re legroom etc. Overall perfik for me although my wife finds it a bit big to drive/park. I suppose a bit boring though but they are reasonable value.

If I wanted a bit of classic fun now that I'd be comfortable in - An original classic shape Saab 900S convertible is on my radar. The turbo versions fly, the seats are amazing and the three door B pillar is further back. They are getting on a bit but good ones can be found but they are getting more expensive and rarer.

Edited by Big John on 06/05/2022 at 20:58

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Terry W

With respect to the OP who is clearly disappointed, this has all the characteristics of a lady buying a fashionable size 12 dress when they know that they really should have shown some self control and bought their normal boring size 16.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - groaver

I too have ND MX-5.

At 5ft 7, if I drive continuously for more than an hour I find my right leg gets pins and needles.

The seats are previously stated are pretty poor in terms of ergonomics.

They sit far too high.

I still love the car but it is most certainly compromised.

Yes more p***ed off than anything…

Let’s just say I never had sports cars before…

never really got the chance but always in the back of my mind I wanted an MX5 someday.

No turbo…. Just engine and car… The drivers dream..

I guess it maybe back to the drawing board.

Just didn’t want a big car as we already have an estate…

Yes more p***ed off than anything… Let’s just say I never had sports cars before… never really got the chance but always in the back of my mind I wanted an MX5 someday. No turbo…. Just engine and car… The drivers dream.. I guess it maybe back to the drawing board. Just didn’t want a big car as we already have an estate…

Ok if sticking to the sports car for taller folk - try a Porsche. I was impressed by my mates Boxter.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Metropolis.
Or a Ford Mustang, the v8 is tremendous.
A Porsche or a Mustang for £17k….

Looks like I’ll be off the sports car theme then…

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - badbusdriver
A Porsche or a Mustang for £17k…. Looks like I’ll be off the sports car theme then…

You can easily get either for £17k

The Boxter will be around 2010 or older, and the Mustang will be LHD.

You could also consider a BMW Z4?

Triumph Stagg - after restoring cars for years I'm fussy and couldn't find a good one and also I struggled to be able to fit properly , steering wheel got in the way! - so no go.

Surprised at this given the Stag wasn't really a sports car, more a 2 door open top version of the 2000/2500 saloon but with the V8 engine. So not 'low slung', and spacious too. If it was just the steering wheel, surely that could have been changed for something smaller?

Surprised at this given the Stag wasn't really a sports car, more a 2 door open top version of the 2000/2500 saloon but with the V8 engine. So not 'low slung', and spacious too. If it was just the steering wheel, surely that could have been changed for something smaller?

The steering wheel was one factor(not just size but not adjustable) but the big issue at the time was rust. Many I looked at had been fitted with fancy shiny oversills hiding a multitude of sins underneath. The Stagg sill is complex with internal structure behind the scenes. If you could move anything pulling at the point where the rear wheel arches met the sills then it was walk away. I thought it was me being fussy but I had a conversation when looking at one in a museum and the one on display was perfect. I gave up after a while - I'd had enough of welding.

I also built the kit car to match my size! It was great fun as well.

Edited by Big John on 07/05/2022 at 09:46

I really like the Mk3, specifically the Mk 3.5 or 3.75. The seats are IMO much better than the Mk4, being of normal car seat construction. My son has a 2010 2 litre with retractable roof. Find a good late car, 2013-14, make sure the engine makes absolutely no funny noises (they are good, but don't do well if they have been run with low oil) and that it's not unduly rusty underneath.

There really isn't much to compete with an MX-5 for accessible fun and moderate cost of ownership IMO. I wouldn't want to own a 10+ year old Boxster. Shame it doesn't fit you.

Yeh having a good reliable motor is better than buying a 12 year old Porsche…
Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - mcb100
I ran an MX-5 for a few weeks in 2015 launching them to the dealers. It’s huge fun to drive, and at a midges over 6 feet tall I fitted fine, but I had a painful coccyx for months afterwards…
Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Engineer Andy

My best mate has a gen-3 MX-5 and even though I'm only 5ft 10in tall, I've always found the seating position to be uncomfortable for the passenger, let alone the driver. I had a similar problem in the passenger seat of his previous car, a MGTF - I just didn't like the 'go-kart' type seating position I had to adopt to avoid hitting my head on the roof headliner.

Much easier for my mate, who's about 4in or so shorter.

It's the reason why I always see what the seating/driving position (including checking for pedal/steering wheel offset and whether the car has a left foot rest [a must for me]) is like when justing viewing the car, including making the best seat and steering wheel adjustments for comfort and ergonomics.

Only if I am happy to proceed will I even contemplate a test drive, carrying that driving position over before setting off. I've found that getting a correct ergonomic driving position is far more than just pulling the seat foward/back as some do, especially if you're prone to back problems as I am.

Similarly with people going on short test drives or just on smooth local roads, rather than longer runs (1hr+) on a variety of representative roads and surfaces, especially when the car is sporty with firm suspension and/or has low profile tyres.

I know many people over the years regret a car purchase after just a short time beacuse they negelected to do the above and it cost them several £0000s to PX / sell privately their brand new car and get something more suitable.

Sometimes some issues don't become apparent for some time, which is understandable, but normally with sporty cars, it should be relatively obvious given the large difference in driving experience / ride quality between them and 'ordinary' cars.

Whether a change in seat here will make any difference, given the OP's height - probably not. It may be better to sell the car and get a reasonably sporty car, but more 'conevntional' as regards the driving position.

I still think that the firm ride may also play a part in their back problems, which could preclude any sporty cars, as it's almost impossble to find one that doesn't have very low profile tyres (40 or lower) and very firm suspension compared to ones with 45-50 profile tyres (normally 17in) and not overly firm suspension.

Anything with 55 profile (which 20 years ago was considered quite reasonable for handling without being overly firm ride-wise) will only now be available on the entry-level 'sporty' cars (those with N/A 2L or 1.5T petrol engines [130 - 150PS] and lowest trim levels), which aren't that sporty. And they aren't that cheap, because they tend to be 'premium' brands.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 07/05/2022 at 12:54

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - MGspannerman

I too am 6'4" and slim(-ish) build. After several years and around 50k miles of driving my Toyota Avensis I started to get shooting pain, sciatic nerve, down my left leg. You could set your watch by it as it occurred almost without fail after 60/70 minutes. I regularly had to do two hour journeys and this became rather tedious. My wife had a flip up headlamp MX5 some years ago and that was great fun, no problem but I did not drive it for extended periods.

I found bringing my left leg up beside the wheel (it was an auto so no issues of control) and perhaps shifting my weight to my right side helped but did not cure the problem. I tried all the seat/wheel adjustment and sitting a little more upright did make some difference. However I sadly concluded the lower, legs outstretched driving style did not suit and I have now changed the car. Not the sole or indeed major reason for doing so but that combined with a little man-maths and other factors suggested the change.

I rather fear that you may have encountered a problem that may possibly be alleviated but otherwise lived with.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Ethan Edwards

I too am 6ft 4. I recently had a knee/ hip issue with Arthritis and (MRI) found I have virtually no knee cartilage. I had my knee drained of fluid and cortisone injected.. But because of the hip I now find getting in and out of cars problematic. When I bought the Mokka-e I was fine. Now I'm not so fine. I found the Fiat 500e much easier to get in and out as the sill is lower. But I still have to use my hands to pick up my left foot and pull it into the car. Nevertheless I manage. There's always people worse off than yourself and it does no good whining. I now have real problems if someone parks too close as I need a decent opening. Now the Mokka when I tried raising the seat the base pressed on nerves making it uncomfortable. Lower the seat and it was more comfy again. Sucks to be old eh?

Sucks to be old eh?

Yup, not sure I could even get in/out of my kit car these days if I'd kept it. There was a bit of a post your legs in first technique to it!

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Ethan Edwards

Shame about the kit car but a lot of those are really tight aren't they. Specifically thinking about the Lotus7 variants.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Engineer Andy

I too am 6'4" and slim(-ish) build. After several years and around 50k miles of driving my Toyota Avensis I started to get shooting pain, sciatic nerve, down my left leg. You could set your watch by it as it occurred almost without fail after 60/70 minutes. I regularly had to do two hour journeys and this became rather tedious. My wife had a flip up headlamp MX5 some years ago and that was great fun, no problem but I did not drive it for extended periods.

I found bringing my left leg up beside the wheel (it was an auto so no issues of control) and perhaps shifting my weight to my right side helped but did not cure the problem. I tried all the seat/wheel adjustment and sitting a little more upright did make some difference. However I sadly concluded the lower, legs outstretched driving style did not suit and I have now changed the car. Not the sole or indeed major reason for doing so but that combined with a little man-maths and other factors suggested the change.

I rather fear that you may have encountered a problem that may possibly be alleviated but otherwise lived with.

One of the reasons why cars without a proper left foot rest get crossed off my wish list, however good they are otherwise.

One of the reasons why cars without a proper left foot rest get crossed off my wish list, however good they are otherwise.

I'm the opposite sometimes - to get comfortable with two of my cars (Octavia mkI & Superb mkI) I removed the clutch pedal footrest. Fortunately the one on my Superb mkII the footrest is fine.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - up north

Fiesta and Mazda 2 caused me back issues as poor quality unsupportive seats. Seat Mii had more support and no issues. No issues with a Seat Toledo. Defo the seats!

I said if I didn’t fit in an MX5 I wouldn’t have anything similar and just buy my wife a car instead…. After being out in it today with my youngest and driving it around the country roads … why would u want anything else… certainly no Z4 or Boxster could compete… I think I’m gonna look into getting a cushion thing or lumbar pad for the seat and perhaps do some yoga back stretching in the mornings… it would be better than selling my cool car… I’ll give it a few weeks and let you know…Ct
Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm also 6 foot 4 and briefly had an MX-5 and found the same issue. As terrible as their reputation was I found the MGF much more comfortable with better leg room.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - badbusdriver

I said if I didn’t fit in an MX5 I wouldn’t have anything similar and just buy my wife a car instead…. After being out in it today with my youngest and driving it around the country roads … why would u want anything else… certainly no Z4 or Boxster could compete

If driving/sitting in an MX5 resulted in back pain, that would be a very convincing argument to want anything else which didn't.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - madf

I had sciatica when 67 years old : due to prior weightlifting and running. Stiff spine. Agony.

Undertook a daily course of spinal twists (yoga) and bends which I still now do. Within 6 months sciatica gone: mild recurrences for a couple of years. Now totally gone at 74,

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - artill

I am 6 foot 2 and have had back ache issues with some low cars. The Honda CRZ caused me a lot of grief, as do Minis, the current type. However i think its more to do with the quality of the seat rather than sitting low down. I have driven thousands of miles in both a Honda S2000, and TVR Cerbera, and found them both to be really comfortable.

With the CRZ the issue seems to be that the front of the seat has no adjustment, and is set too low so there isnt any under thigh support, and that in turn puts the pressure on the small of the back as without knowing your body tries to support the out stretched leg.

Before getting rid of the MX5 i would try putting some spacers under the front of the seat to raise it. There may even be kits out there as the MX5 is so popular.

Mazda MX5 RF - Back problems - groaver

Artill, you can actually raise the front of the squab with a rotating knob on the side of it.

The seats aren't particularly supportive otherwise and you feel as though you sit on top of the car

Strange for a low-slung roadster.