Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - MGog17

Hello.

We are considering upsizing our current car to an SUV and have narrowed down the choices to 2 we like. We need a bigger car and an SUV is what we want.

First one is a Toyota RAV4 (2020) Hybrid with 10k miles. We both love the car but are hesitating as it's more expensive than the 2nd option and it's a hybrid which we have never had before. Our driving is between 15 and 20k miles/year and a fair amount of it on fast A roads and motorways where we suspect the economy may be an issue. However we are attracted to the potential reliability and good dealerships from what we have read.

Option 2 is a Kia Sportage 1.6 diesel mild hybrid (20 plate) with 12k miles. The car has as good a spec as the Toyota and is in the region of 8k cheaper which is appealing at point of purchase but may also tell a tale about resale values. The attraction is the spec, diesel economy and the 7 year warranty. Price of diesel is also a consideration.

I have done a search on the forum and have found a few posts that worry me a little about Kia quality vs Toyota but unless they are absolutely terrible it would need to be £8k's worth of worse.

We genuinely like both cars equally for different reasons - any advice on which would be the best option with all of the above considered please? Also would the Kia get hit that much more on its resale value at, say, 5 years old vs the RAV4?

Thanks.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - _

Having had 4 Kia (s) I would happily recommend them, but DO KEEP to the KIA annual servicing. The Hyundai Tucson is the same under the skin. I did try a Rav4 a while back and found the interior bit less roomy and the seating position lower, which was important for me.

Edited by _ORB_ on 04/04/2022 at 20:01

Having had 4 Kia (s) I would happily recommend them, but DO KEEP to the KIA annual servicing. The Hyundai Tucson is the same under the skin. I did try a Rav4 a while back and found the interior bit less roomy and the seating position lower, which was important for me.

Thank you that's good to know from someone who has owned them. We just don't know the brand at all so it's a leap of faith with the quality/reliability and dealer support. As it stands the £8k purchase price difference is very much swaying us towards the Kia.

I checked on the MOT status of the older ones and both 2013 and 2015 have zero advisories against them.

KIa customer service is good, uk based. and the kiaownersclub forum is a useful place.

I'm there as littlebluerio...

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - badbusdriver

I'd happily take the Kia, if my usage allowed the DPF to regen properly.

Not 100% sure on this, but as far as I am aware if the DPF fails due to constant short journeys, the warranty won't cover it.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - Ian_SW

The "Real MPG" section of this site shows the Hybrid Rav4 doing about 50mpg, and the 1.6 Diesel Sportage doing somewhere between 45 and 50 so I suspect fuel costs would be fairly similar.

One thing to keep in mind is that a 2020 Sportage will be almost the last of the previous model, whereas a 2020 Rav4 will be almost the first of the new model. On that basis the Rav4 will look "new" for longer. Kia also seem to dramatically change the design of their cars with every model update, which makes the older one look more out of date than a previous generation Audi for example. The current model Sportage is pretty ugly though (and the Tucson even worse!) so I wouldn't pay more to get the current generation Kia.

Driving a CVT hybrid is very different to a diesel with a manual gearbox. Some people like them, but others really don't get on with them. I'd suggest doing a decent test drive in both before deciding.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - Electric Leaper
Whilst the Kia does come with a 7 year warranty, it’s also worth noting that Toyota offers a 10 year warranty providing you get the car serviced at a Toyota dealer every year or 10k miles.

Thanks - I should have mentioned that the Kia is an automatic, not manual.

I am quite encouraged by the comments re Kia on here and they seem to be universally quite positive. On that basis the price difference between the two is probably a bigger deciding factor than I first thought; ignoring the resale value question at this point. We will probably keep the car for 2-3 years so I think we will just have to worry about it then.

Make sure the dealer provides a stamped service history and don't forget the servicing regime to maintain that Kia Warranty

What spec are you looking at, 2, 3, o4 4 or one of the specials?

As an aside, I liked the driving position and the controls when I had my sportage, but that was a " 1" and had very sensible tyres.

Zero recorded faults in my ownership. Dealer here, Underwoods on top of their game for servicing, altogether a positive experience, but then I bought an uncomfoortable Stonic (another thread on that)

I went for a Ssangyong Korando as I didn't want the outgoing model, and when I did change, the other reason was that only hybrids in any form were available at silly prices.

I think the new Sportage is ugly, but others will like it.

Performance of the diesel is fine for the Sportage.

Do keep us updated.

Spec wise probably a '3' or a '4' if we can find one in the right colour. The specs are confusing as some appear to be AWD with lesser fuel economy and some 2wd but the advertised fuel economy is sometimes incorrect, even on Kia's website which is irritating. I am taking it that the 2WD versions (1.6CRDi) have the higher reported figures and the AWD versions have the lower. We don't really need AWD so will probably go for the 2WD version if that's what we decide to do. There's little point paying any attention to the official MPG figures anyway apparently :-).

Any car we go for would need to have the Kia FSH stamped otherwise we won't go anywhere near it.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - Zippy123

The Toyota has the perception of being more reliable. If it is a manual car I would go for the Kia and save the money. To me the current cabin of the RAV4 is a little on the dingy side.

The Toyota may have a 5 year warranty or 3 year warranty, depending on when it was registered.

Toyota run an offer where if you get the car serviced by them, the warranty is extended by a further year up to 10 years /100,000 miles. They could withdraw this offer at any time.

Edited by Zippy123 on 06/04/2022 at 11:18

Would there be any drawbacks or more than normal risk in buying one from a car supermarket where it 'may' have been used as a hire/rental car? I have a preconception that these cars, whilst keenly priced, tend to have been abused and should be avoided.

Any thoughts on that as we have a couple of those kinds of options. Thank you for the help so far, very useful.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - sammy1

Would there be any drawbacks or more than normal risk in buying one from a car supermarket where it 'may' have been used as a hire/rental car? I have a preconception that these cars, whilst keenly priced, tend to have been abused and should be avoided.

Any thoughts on that as we have a couple of those kinds of options. Thank you for the help so far, very useful.

A 1 year old car bought from a car supermarket should not be a problem as it will have what is left of the Manufacturers warranty. You would I think be lucky to find a RAV4 as they are not sold in the volumes of the KIA. For this reason alone my choice would be the RAV4 which I think will retain a better price and for my money Toyota as a brand has more going for it.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - John F

If you are concerned about fuel cost yet do many thousands of miles on fast roads, why would you consider having an SUV? Although currently fashionable, most have the aerodynamics of a brick and thus poor fuel economy at higher speeds. If space is needed, a large estate with a good Cd would be my choice, e.g Skoda Superb or something of that ilk.

Quite simple John. Whilst everything you say makes complete sense I don't like estate cars at all and won't have one. I like the ride height of SUV's.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - Ian_SW

A 1 year old car, bought from anywhere will most likely be one of the following:

1. If it's got about 12000 miles on it, a hire car

2. If it's got a local numberplate and a few thousand miles, a demonstrator / service courtesy car

3. If it's got the same numberplate area as loads of others from the same manufacturer, a "management" car which will have been someone who works for the manufacturer's company car for a few months.

I've seen plenty of cars which were obviously ex hire cars at main dealers, including one dealership who had forgotten to take the sticker on the dashboard saying "Hertz - If you are likely to exceed 11500 miles contact the rental office".

The problem with car supermarkets at the moment is they are selling slightly older cars due to the supply shortage. Hire companies are keeping them for longer, so they may have missed their first service which will affect the warranty. If they can show you a service book with a main dealer stamp in though, it's fine. A main dealer sold "approved used" car should have the correct service history to maintain the warranty, though I'd still check that is the case on any car over 1 year old to be sure.

Edited by SkodaIan on 07/04/2022 at 12:00

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - Heidfirst

The problem with car supermarkets at the moment is they are selling slightly older cars due to the supply shortage. Hire companies are keeping them for longer, so they may have missed their first service which will affect the warranty. If they can show you a service book with a main dealer stamp in though, it's fine.

This is one area where the Toyota may have the advantage as a future dealer service would bring it back under the Relax warranty.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - Auristocrat

Toyota run an offer where if you get the car serviced by them, the warranty is extended by a further year up to 10 years /100,000 miles. They could withdraw this offer at any time.

The Relax warranty isn't 'an offer' - it is the standard warranty and service package across Europe.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - alan1302

The Relax warranty isn't 'an offer' - it is the standard warranty and service package across Europe.

At the moment it is - but they could stop it if they wished. Any warranty that's above what is legally required is an offer from the manufacturer.

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - SLO76
Take substantial test drives in both and buy the one you like and can afford. There’s no inherent issues with either car. Me personally I’d rather have the Toyota and I’d aim for long term ownership. Toyota hybrids are well proven and highly robust. They’ve been tested to destruction by taxi fleets across the globe and many have 500k plus mileages and no major failures under their belt. Look for full main dealer service records with either in order to preserve the warranty and give peace of mind that it’s received the correct oil.
Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - ronald bennett

Another Kia owner here. After having had VW's for years (not sure they have a good reputation nowadays) the wife had a hankering for a Sportage. We've now had it for two and a half years and it's been brilliant i can't fault the build quality and for a big car its pretty economical, 1.7 diesel. The only common problem that you read about is the clutches but that wouldn't be a problem with an automatic. A pal of mine has a used car dealership and he swears by Kia / Hyundai, says he never gets them back for warranty issues. .

Toyota RAV4 or Kia Sportage? - bazza

Neither are ideal for efficient economical motoring due to the SUV disadvantages but I would take the Toyota, simply on the basis that now is not a particularly good time to invest in a diesel if you can avoid it. There is talk of a European diesel shortage and pump prices rising far higher than petrol, the supply situation is volatile and European governments are desperate to reduce diesel dependence for geopolitical reasons. Hence I would go with petrol hybrid. The current price premium of about 14 pence a litre will save you about £200 a year too, like for like at 50mpg. Toyota aftercare is second to none and I don't think you can go wrong with a dealer sourced RAV 4.

All things considered we have gone for a Sportage that's just 6 months old and got a great deal. Spec is good and has all the necessary dealer validations to make sure warranty wise we will be ok, and we will make sure we get it serviced properly. We actually preferred the interior of the Kia and the real clincher was the way it drove vs the engine cacophony from the hybrid when trying to accelerate.

The dealer explained it was the nature of the way a hybrid works but we both just found that a little off putting.

Thanks for the comments.

Well done, tell us how you get on with it. and also the one you bought, spec-wise.

If you can, get a service package for it, worth it for the savings..or at least the ist service free, but when I bought the venga a few years back, the service package had to be purchased before the service was due.

Happy Motoring.

Well done, tell us how you get on with it. and also the one you bought, spec-wise.

If you can, get a service package for it, worth it for the savings..or at least the ist service free, but when I bought the venga a few years back, the service package had to be purchased before the service was due.

Happy Motoring.

Thanks - it's a GT Line S 1.6 CRDi auto - pretty much got everything on it that you would want. We'll have a look at the service plan - thanks for the tip.