Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - GraF

We want a 4x4 and we have maybe what some will say an odd choice. It will me shared between my son and I, so decided on one or two cars

1. Buy a cheap well maintained 2.0 CRV ( around 2005 ) for £1500 plus a cheap petrol car for around £1500

Advantages:

Son can use small car when driving to uni rather than the big car

Disadvantage:

CRV is about 25mpg and there will be 2 sets of tax and insurance but will save a bit of money initially

OR

2. Spend £3500 on a used 1.5Dci Dacia Duster

Advantage: around 45mpg, one insurance and mot, much newer car

Disadvantage: My son will have to learn to drive the big car everywhere he goes !

As they would say at school...in less than 250 words please discus the merits and weaknesses lol

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - madf

CRV

17 years old soon.

Some rust inevitable.

Unless you DIY, maintenance and repairs will be expensive as old cars wear out.

Parking - it's bigger.

Dacia.

The diesel engine prone to DPF issues. Can go bang if not carefully serviced. Can go bang if driven short distances only as DPF blocks.

One car cheaper to run than two. SO A GOOOD Dacia is best solution .

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - Brit_in_Germany

The son having the car at Uni would likely be classed as the main driver, so get one where his insurance is not going to be too horrendous.

Thx..Due to covid there are only maybe 1 on site uni lecture per week so not the main driver

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - Ian_SW

The Duster isn't what I'd consider a particularly big car. Other than being higher up it doesn't have a footprint any bigger than something like a Focus.

However, I don't think you're going to be able to get a decent Duster for £3500 - there are only 4 on Autotrader that cheap, and all have massage mileage on them.

If it needs to be a 4WD, its probably worth looking at a few other similar cars from the budget end of the market which were launched earlier than 2014. Possibilities might be a Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Daihatsu Terios, Suzuki Vitara etc.

In all cases, try to buy one from a city rather than in a country area. It will have had an easier life and less likely to have rust issues because of accumulated mud.

Thanks..Ill have a look at the ones you mentioned...

too a quick look and the ones you mentioned would be quite a lot older , higher tax and lower mpg

I guess what attracted us to the dacia is the low tax £130, high mpg 56mpg av and the fact that we can get a newish one 2013+

I have however had another thought, if we are only doing about 7k miles a year is a diesel a bad idea ?

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - Terry W

Insurance, tax, annual service and MoT for two cars may cost an extra £600-1000 pa. This far exceeds any mpg savings through running a small vehicle - so go for the one car solution.

Not sure what your needs are - but with ~£3500 to spend I would be inclined to go far a basic common Astra, Focus, or similar with a lowish mileage (up to 60-70k) rather than a Honda which would likely be 5-8 years older with higher mileage.

Getting too attached to a particular make/model at the budget you have is unwise - go for the best condition with as much service histtory as possible. No guarantees but it is more likely you will get a few (possibly several) year cheap motoring.

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - badbusdriver

As they would say at school...in less than 250 words please discus the merits and weaknesses lol

Merits?, can't think of any other than you might get lucky.

Weaknesses?, chances of finding a £1500 (circa 2005) CRV worth buying is slim to zero. Chances of finding a £3500 Duster worth buying is slim to zero.

I guess what attracted us to the dacia is the low tax £130, high mpg 56mpg

A short sighted view as the potential repair costs on a modern turbo diesel engine, should anything go wrong, will completely obliterate any savings on fuel or tax.

I have however had another thought, if we are only doing about 7k miles a year is a diesel a bad idea ?

Yes.

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - SLO76
Neither make much sense at this money. A 2005 Mk II CRV will almost certainly be rotten underneath and it’ll be lucky to do 25mpg. The Duster will be an early Indian built example which are prone to rust and the engine is a complex DPF equipped turbo diesel that’ll cause regular grief at this age and money.

Instead I’d look at a normal petrol engined hatchback, estate or saloon like a Mazda 3/6, Toyota Avensis, Ford Focus 1.6, Honda Civic or Accord.

I find it funny that when you get interested in a car you miss the obvious which is what you all have pointed out although I had no idea about the Indian Duster !

Also obvious is I didn't point out like many people during lockdown we have acquired dogs but we went for older rescue dogs, one a labrador the other a Rottweiler , both gorgeous but as you know quite big so hence the duster or crv. We go to mid Wales to see my mother in law hence the 4x4 bit..sorry about that !

So, now from your advice its a petrol we need but is there a decent 4x4 or similar reliable largish car for the dogs ?

I don't see having to got to mid Wales as being a reason you must have a 4x4?.

Also, as well as being big dogs, especially the Rotty, they are heavy dogs. As such, you should really be looking at something with a low load bay height for ease of getting them in and out without too much stress on their joints. Being rescue dogs, presumably they are not puppies?, so this would be doubly important if either or both are getting on in years.

Something like a Ford Focus (not a 1.0 Ecoboost) or Vauxhall Astra estate, on decent quality all season tyres would manage absolutely fine unless mother in law lives up a very rough and rutted track (even then, unless the track is miles long, park at the end and walk up!)

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - SLO76
I have a large dog and an old Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol estate which I paid £4150 for three years ago. This is the sort of thing I’d recommend in your position. A Mazda 6 2.0 petrol, Honda Accord 2.0 petrol and the Ford Mondeo 2.0 petrol both make good big dog wagons too. They’re cheaper to buy and run than a 4wd.

Downsize a bit to the Ford Focus 1.6 petrol and the Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol both make useful small estates too.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/11/2021 at 11:47

Thanks for the advice

First re the dogs, they are 3 and 4 yrs old so they are fine for the next couple of years but we we have ramps anyway

My son has driven and is happy driving the 4x4 type vehicle but for his own reasons, and I respect that , find estates to be too long for parking and driving round town.

The smaller estate might be an idea though but we did have a look at some of them and although the depth was usually fine the height was not if that makes sense

First re the dogs, they are 3 and 4 yrs old so they are fine for the next couple of years but we we have ramps anyway

How long these (heavy) dogs remain problem free in the joint department will be dependant on decisions you make now. By the time the dogs appear to be having problems, the damage has already set in. As you have ramps, you should use them.

My son has driven and is happy driving the 4x4 type vehicle but for his own reasons, and I respect that

I'm confused by this statement, earlier you expressed concern about him driving the Duster because of its size. Yet a Duster isn't very big, so what 4x4 has he driven that he is happy behind the wheel of?.

find estates to be too long for parking and driving round town.

A 2011 Focus estate is around 23cm longer (about 5%) than a Duster (and about the same length as a 2005 CR-V), so I find it difficult to believe that you would be able to drive around town and park a Duster, but not a Focus estate.

The smaller estate might be an idea though but we did have a look at some of them and although the depth was usually fine the height was not if that makes sense

Average height for an adult male Rottweiler is 61-69cm tall when standing (a Labrador is several cm shorter). The height of the opening on a Focus estate (2007) is 79cm (the interior height is higher). I have actually seen a Rottweiler in a Peugeot 207SW and it looked quite happy in there!

Ultimately this is your decision and your money. But my opinion (for what its worth!), is that nothing you have said suggest you need a 4x4. With a small budget, buying as simple a car as possible is the best option. Leave your 4x4 desires until you can put a decent amount of money in the pot. But good luck with whatever you go for!

Thanks for the great advice

I've had dogs for over 40 years so I do understand everything about joints etc but thanks anway

Hes driven a nissan patrol which was a BIG car

As to length of vehicles I'm sure you are right but its amazing what the eyes and brain do when looking at cars. You might psychology think a 4x4 or SUV etc because of its height is actually smaller when it may be the same size but I understand your point

I'll have a look at the focus estate and see what we can find..thx

Used CRV vs Dacia Duster ! - daveyK_UK
Consider a PCP finance lease on a Duster

There are a few petrol with LPG versions in stock if your not fussed on colour

Lease it for 3/4 years then hand it back.

Easy motoring