Pro car cleaning tips please! - sherop

Hi all - I've got a new car and I want to really look after it.

My prior car ended up with swirl marks, which I understand is from using a sponge or brush with grit/dirt already on it, and now I have something worth looking after I really want it to look great. I asked a bodywork repair man for his thoughts and I would really value any comments or additions you HJ experts have to his suggested car cleaning process:

- Use "two bucket method" when washing car exterior:

- One bucket of car wash soap (Maguires, Autoglym etc - something of quality that will really glide that costs about £8, not the £2 stuff). Once microfibre cloths have cleaned the car they only go back in this bucket.

- One bucket of clean water. No cloths used for cleaning should go in here, it is to stay free of stones and grit.

For external bodywork:

1) Pre wash, jet wash rinse.

2) Then soapy wash with brands mentioend above.

3) Then jet wash rinse again. Supermarket jet washes are fine, just don't use their brush.

4) Then apply a spray-on wax coat twice a year. Should only need one spray per panel, spread on panel with microfibre cloth and then allow to dry. Some brands can be applied while car is still wet which is ideal. Use this instead of a wax or polish as he thinks gives an even better finish and dirt should slide off.

Don't do this when it's hot and sunny as car will dry too quickly.

Once a microfibre cloth has been used for cleaning, it shouldn't touch the paintwork again even when washed. Fine for interior or glass cleaning.

For interior cleaning:

1) Vacuum everything first

2) Use upholstery cleaner on any stains.

3) Then wet one of those Flash white cleaning blocks and clean interior with that. His detailer friends use these and they get great results.

4) Then dry with a microfibre cloth.

Edited by sherop on 12/11/2021 at 17:47

Pro car cleaning tips please! - nellyjak

All good advice I'm sure...though, sadly, I doubt that these days there will be relatively few who will have the desire to follow such a regime.

Pro car cleaning tips please! - Xileno

Sounds complete dedication and perfection to me, I doubt many will keep that up after the initial 'love' period of a new car starts to fade. I use a hose with one of those variable jet things on the end, a wash mitt as opposed to a sponge and just put a bit or car shampoo on the mitt as I work down the panels. I used to use a jet wash but am not convinced they are good for the car as pressurised water is likely to get to places it wouldn't normally, such as behind trim.

Pro car cleaning tips please! - bathtub tom

I'd never use a power washer on a car, except my fifty quid, off roader, after a particularly muddy excursion. The water pressure can push past door seals and oil seals.

I don't know how old your car is, but I give mine a hose down and then wash with a brush on the end of the hose and a chamois off after. I give the wheel arches and underside a good hosing. Every few years I'll give it a polish and waxing. Particularly good for the (ally) wheels, as it means the dirt just falls off.

Pro car cleaning tips please! - paul 1963

Sadly I am one those that have the desire to look after there investment, this is the way I care for my car:

First go up the local jet wash and just using the high pressure rinse option give the car a b***** good hose off starting at the roof down, next home and give it a wash ( with warm water) with Autoglym "pure" shampoo followed by a thorough rinse, after drying with a micro fibre drying towel I use Autoglym aquawax followed by a buff.

If the cars never been waxed then before you jet wash it give it a good spray of magma or tfr then clay bar it ( you'll be amazed how much carp is on a even a new car) then follow up.with a coat of something like autofiness "ultra glaze" followed by a coat of autoglym "egp " you'll be amazed at the difference....I took delivery of my new car 5 weeks ago and immediately spent 7 hours giving it a proper clean and protection, I know others may laugh but to me it's worth it, let's be honest if you've just spent £25k + on a car then surely hundred quid or so on quality products to look after it is worth it?

Incedently it's well worth giving your wheels a couple of coats of dedicated wheel wax asap, only needs doing twice a year and makes cleaning them so much easier, I use "mint rimswax" total pain in the bum to apply but I can assure you brake dust, road muck simply rinses off.

As for the interior then autofiness interior cleaner is your friend...brilliant stuff and it smells great.

Must add I have no connection with the company's mentioned but there stuff just works..

If your really sad ( like me ) there's a couple of great detailing groups on Facebook...

Oh and never use a sponge, a noodle mit is your friend.

Edited by paul 1963 on 12/11/2021 at 19:40

Pro car cleaning tips please! - badbusdriver

Sadly I am one those that have the desire to look after there investment, this is the way I care for my car:

First go up the local jet wash and just using the high pressure rinse option give the car a b***** good hose off starting at the roof down, next home and give it a wash ( with warm water) with Autoglym "pure" shampoo followed by a thorough rinse, after drying with a micro fibre drying towel I use Autoglym aquawax followed by a buff.

If the cars never been waxed then before you jet wash it give it a good spray of magma or tfr then clay bar it ( you'll be amazed how much carp is on a even a new car) then follow up.with a coat of something like autofiness "ultra glaze" followed by a coat of autoglym "egp " you'll be amazed at the difference....I took delivery of my new car 5 weeks ago and immediately spent 7 hours giving it a proper clean and protection, I know others may laugh but to me it's worth it, let's be honest if you've just spent £25k + on a car then surely hundred quid or so on quality products to look after it is worth it?

Incedently it's well worth giving your wheels a couple of coats of dedicated wheel wax asap, only needs doing twice a year and makes cleaning them so much easier, I use "mint rimswax" total pain in the bum to apply but I can assure you brake dust, road muck simply rinses off.

As for the interior then autofiness interior cleaner is your friend...brilliant stuff and it smells great.

Must add I have no connection with the company's mentioned but there stuff just works..

If your really sad ( like me ) there's a couple of great detailing groups on Facebook...

Bit baffled by this. Looking after your car is obviously a big deal to you, so why don't you get your own pressure washer?. Unless the local place is very local indeed, and unless the roads between your home and it are very clean and free from other traffic, you are going to pick up more dirt on the way home.

Bit baffled by this. Looking after your car is obviously a big deal to you, so why don't you get your own pressure washer?. Unless the local place is very local indeed, and unless the roads between your home and it are very clean and free from other traffic, you are going to pick up more dirt on the way home.

easy answer....I live in a ground floor flat....and yes the jet wash place is 500 metres away...lastly yes a clean car means a lot to me..

Pro car cleaning tips please! - John F

Wash 'n wax it once a year, then wash it as infrequently as possible. Every time you run a cloth or brush over the surface, microscratching will inevitably be caused. If it's not dirty, don't wash it. In winter especially, all I mostly do is a waist-high rinse with plenty of water and a soft cloth. No wiping dry - water from our rain butt doesn't smear.

Pro car cleaning tips please! - Terry W

Perhaps there is a personal grooming equivalent to the car:

Obsessional - some wear clothes only once before washing them. They always look smart and more importantly feel smart. Shower twice a day. Why perfection is required on the weekly trip to the supermarket is a mystery to most of us!

Normal - going to a function - dress and look smart. Day to day - put on yesterdays trouser (but maybe change underwear). Cleaning the car or doing the gardening - any old but not too smelly clothing. Shower most mornings.

Slob - underwear twice a week, shirts once a week, the rest when it starts to smell or its clear the coffee you spilt still shows. Three day stubble is the mark of both the slob and trendy.

Most of us believe the habits we adopt are normal. But we are judged by others.

Pro car cleaning tips please! - FoxyJukebox
I hose wash car all over with plain water and a soft household brush once a week. Wheels are dealt with with a washing up brush dipped into a bucket of water with a mini squirt of fairy liquid.
Around once every six weeks and when dry -I polish all over with Autogleem and buff up.
For the inside-I have a small dustpan and brush -kept in boot-usually brush out thoroughly twice a week. For interior plastics I apply Pledge onto a cloth-let it dry -then buff.
Done this all for years-works a treat for me and car looks as good as new!
Pro car cleaning tips please! - edlithgow

Normally when the rust starts to show a bit too prominently through the primer I give it a two bucket wash as described above, except I use liquid soap now available (post-covid) in the campus sports ground toilets, and a Taiwan Army Nurses uniform blouse I found in an abandoned hospital as a wash cloth. Sometimes follow-up with a hose.

Then I give the rusty bits a wipe down with sunflower oil, using a plastic bag as a mitt to spread it. I dont think I've tried that wet but its not a bad idea since it might spread easier, spit-and-polish stylee. Maybe next time

Especially rusty bits I rub with crumpled aluminium foil as a combined abrasive and in-situ self-forming primer.

Did it again yesterday post-inspection but didn't bother with the wash since it was rather windy. It'll be a bit grittier than usual but the oil attracts grit anyway.

Car looks...er...about the same as when I bought it. Maybe a bit better.

Pro car cleaning tips please! - madf

There is no point washing and cleaning the car if it is going to get dirty the next time I drive it. (But I cleans windows and mirrors fastidiously and regularly).

We get mud on the roads, leaves and cow excrement.. So hose wheelarches when really dirty.

No point in waxing more than once a year as brambles and trees brush car sides and leave marks/scratches.

Our cars last decades without regular washing - but with annual wax coatings on underneath,

Pro car cleaning tips please! - RT

There is no point washing and cleaning the car if it is going to get dirty the next time I drive it. (But I cleans windows and mirrors fastidiously and regularly).

We get mud on the roads, leaves and cow excrement.. So hose wheelarches when really dirty.

No point in waxing more than once a year as brambles and trees brush car sides and leave marks/scratches.

Our cars last decades without regular washing - but with annual wax coatings on underneath,

I had a professional ceramic coating applied to my car when brand new, for 6 years it has proved its worth by protecting against brambles, bushes and trees. It gets professionally washed and waxed every 2 months with nothing in between apart from windows, mirrors, lights and number plates - still in excellent condition.

It gets professionally washed and waxed every 2 months

Make the rest of us feel inadequate, why don't you?

Pro car cleaning tips please! - RT

I used to wash my cars regularly myself but no longer can because of age and ill-health - I can't afford to pay for it to be cleaned weekly - I'm sorry if my situation makes you feel inadequate.

Good on you RT, ceramic coating is a Good investment, had my last car done when new, decided with the current one to forego it and spend a little extra time and money on fully protecting it myself.

For those that don't know ceramic coating is not a thing that you can do at home despite what some claim.

Speak for yourself.

Dusny bother me what other people choose to spend their money on.

But of course you were probably joking. .

Edited by edlithgow on 13/11/2021 at 15:39

Pro car cleaning tips please! - Steveieb

I always use Honest John’s recommendation and wait until it rains heavily. Then coat the car in neat Halfords car shampoo and let the rain do the rest.

No smears and an amazing wax finish which lasts for ages.

The vegetable oil as paint was my own improvisation, but I recently learned that it is "professionally" used (without the aluminium) when trying to preserve patina on classics.

About 27 mins into this video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7AvQZoYcU

I wasnt particularly concerned with patina, just trying to inhibit rust, hence the aluminium.

Pro car cleaning tips please! - daveyK_UK
Hi

2 questions

What is the flash bar mentioned in the opening post?

What is the best rain repellant for windows and windscreens?
Ideally one that works well and doesn’t require regular application (once a month max).

Thank you
Pro car cleaning tips please! - Xileno

Possibly these?

www.amazon.co.uk/Flash-Magic-Eraser-Household-Clea...Q

Possibly these?

Yes, my Mother in law thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread!

Pro car cleaning tips please! - daveyK_UK
Thank you

Possibly these?

NOT recommended for use on modern car paints (clearcoat).

Possibly these?

NOT recommended for use on modern car paints (clearcoat).

It was only mentioned in the OP's first post regarding cleaning the interior. But they are very good for removing a variety of stains from a variety of different surfaces.

Really not a good idea to use a magic sponge anywhere on or in a car they do however clean upvc window frames a treat!