Ford Focus 2014 - 1.0 EcoBoost problem - PackerK

My daughters car had a flashing oil light. Stopped checked oil level and when restarted all seemed to be well. A couple of days later it happened again.

Research shows that these engines are developing an issue at higher mileages and age, 75,000 miles in this case. Debris is accumulating on the oil pump pick up sieve and blocking it.

The sieve is integral to the pump and can't be replaced on its own. New pump I am told is around £175.00 plus fitting at 4 -5 hours. I don't know if the sieve can be effectively and safely cleaned, even it it can it would probably mean removal of the pump to avoid contaminating the rest of the engine.

Ignore the light and you'll need a new engine.

Ford Focus 2014 - 1.0 EcoBoost problem - daveyjp

Well known issue and it can occur at far lower mileage if oil changes aren't done on time. The debris is the oil pump drive belt deteriorating as it sits in the oil, this then blocks the filter.

Ford Focus 2014 - 1.0 EcoBoost problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Info as above . This is a bio engine. Both the timing belt and the oil pump drive belt run in engine oil . Cleaning or replacing the oil pump and filter is not going to fix the inherent problem of belt delamination . It may be cheaper to fit a new engine . They are not expensive.
Ford Focus 2014 - 1.0 EcoBoost problem - JONATHAN_11_80

Personally I'd drop the sump not difficult on these once the exhaust is dropped and then change the oil pump and strainer. Lack of oil changes is what causes problems.on these. Change the oil every 3k to help reduce the chances of this happening again. This engine can be saved however keep driving it, it will blow up!

Edited by JONATHAN_11_80 on 05/11/2021 at 19:15

Ford Focus 2014 - 1.0 EcoBoost problem - edlithgow

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhM9DGw6m-Y

Looks like a fairly conventional strainer, though apparently part of an oil pump with new improved planned obsolescence in that it can't be dismantled.

I dunno if it isn;t possible to back flush it through the pump, which would be optimal, but he seems to get it fairly clean attacking it from the outside.

Some of the debris in that case seems to be metallic, so, assuming the belt hasn't got wire in it he has other issues perhaps as a result of the oil starvation