Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - Dcoa93

Hi All,

I am currently looking to spend around £5K on a VW Golf - due to budget, this will be a MK6. Golf, typically between the years of 2009 to 2011. I would like to upgrade it in a few years, to a newer model. Generally speaking due to the above and the current market, this will have approx 100K miles on the clock.

What I am struggling with however, is what model to choose for my circumstances.

A bit about myself: I am a new driver, passed in June 2021. I am a 28 year old male, have a son (2 years old) and soon to have another child (partner is pregnant). I need the car for commuting to work, which is 18 miles each way, 3 to 4 days a week. This is combination of A roads, B roads and a bit of city driving (2 miles). I anticipate driving 10-12.5K miles a year, mostly on the above roads (rural North Yorkshire). There won't be a great deal of motorway driving.

I would like at a minimum the SE/Match Spec, as the S is very basic on a Mark 6 Golf. There is also the GT for both. This rules out the 1.2 Petrol TSI car.

As such, I am looking at the 1.4 Petrol TSI, 1.6 Diesel TDI, 2.0 Diesel TDI, and the reliability/cost of running or ownership versus the quality of the car/drive to my needs and circumstances. In general, I think the 2.0 TDI and the 1.4 Petrol seem the best two choices, but thought I would also include the 1.6 TDI. The 6 speed gear box on the two larger engines, seems useful too.

Taxation is £30 for the 1.6 TDI, £130 for the 2.0 TDI and £170 for the 1.4 TSI.

Insurance is very similar for all 3 cars, even on the 140 BHP 2.0 TDI and 160 BHP 1.4 TSI Petrol.

Fuel costs are about £400.00 more a year on the 1.4 TSI petrol, based on current costs and HJ real world MPG figures (10K miles a year).

This is however offset by DPF concerns, based on my driving habits. There is also however concerns over the 1.4 TSI engine and its 'fragility' based on the timing chain/perceived issues with it. I believe the 2.0 TDI is generally perceived as a much more reliable unit. I do also believe the 160HP 1.4 TSI in the GT model, is the most susceptible to timing chain stretching/issues, whereas the 122HP in the SE/Match versions is more reliable?

Historically, the 'logic' has always been go petrol unless you do the right mileage, because diesels have cost more to buy. However, generally the cost of a diesel Golf is the same as petrol now, or even a bit less (there are more available). I am also trying to factor in depreciation, which I assume will be slightly higher on the diesel versions?

Overall, what I am asking is - what would be recommended in my circumstances, petrol or diesel (1.6 TDI or 2.0 TDI).

This is largely economic but also enjoyability of driving. The main factors are cost of purchase, depreciation, reliability and maintenance cost (assume diesel may cost more - DPF worries!), fuel costs, tax and insurance.

I hope that makes sense, please let me know if any queries!

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - elekie&a/c doctor
A 10 year old car with a £5k budget? Avoid anything diesel . I would be looking at something like a petrol Focus , Astra or something Japanese or Far East . Toyota , Honda , Kia etc .
Why should I avoid diesel?
Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - Xileno

They have complex and expensive technology on them to get the emissions down. Fine when it's all working but if you're unlucky then big bills can appear.

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - badbusdriver
Why should I avoid diesel?

Because diesels from the late noughties onwards are very complex. If something goes wrong, it could effectively write off the car.

The 2.0 diesel is fairly reliable, but still not really advisable unless you need the torque for towing a caravan. The 1.6 was actually the main culprit behind the dieselgate scandal, it isn't a particularly reliable motor and personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

The 1.4TSI is a great engine, reliable, powerful (especially in 140/150bhp form) and efficient, so out of what you have mentioned, that is the one to go for. But even sticking with VAG, I'd be looking at better value but mechanically identical alternatives from SEAT and Skoda.

Thanks for this, seems like petrol is the way to go.

Any major concerns between the 122 and 160 HP variants? Heard the twin charged car can be less reliable? The timing chain worries me, but perhaps the issues are exaggerated ie you only hear the bad.

I’ll have a look at SEAT Leon’s, which seem very similar (plus I also like how they look too).

Any major red flags on these VAG models?

Sorry, I didn't fully read your first post. Early TSI engines used a timing chain, and these don't have the best reputation. Not sure when they were changed to a timing belt, but these are what you want to go for. If your budget doesn't get you into a TSI with a belt, TBH, I'd swerve VAG cars entirely.

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - elekie&a/c doctor
For £5k you need simplicity and reliability, neither of which puts you in Vag model territory. The twin charge VW motor is possibly the worst engine made by this company. Look elsewhere.
I believe the timing belts come in for mark 7 Golfs? A few years later anyway. I’ll check the costs on that, but yes I imagine they might be a bit out of budget at the moment.

Obviously this is your choice, but IMO, the best car you can get for your budget would be an early 9th generation (around 2012 on) Honda Civic 1.8. Bulletproof reliability, decent performance from its 140bhp motor, huge boot and spacious cabin.

Other reliable contenders are (in no particular order) Ford Focus 1.6/1.8/2.0 petrol (not the 1.0 Ecoboost), Mazda 3 petrol, Toyota Auris petrol, Kia Ceed/Hyundai i30 (same car under the skin) 1.6 petrol and Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol (I'd also consider the Astra as a diesel, but only the 1.7 which is an Isuzu engine, the rest of the diesels come from Fiat)

Thanks for this. I’ll take a look at some of the alternatives.
I guess I’ve just liked the look of VW Golfs. A lot of people call them boring, but I really like them.
Is the 2.0 TDI really likely to cause that many headaches? It’s also belt driven, I believe.
Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - SLO76
Don’t limit yourself to just one model when shopping on such a tight budget. Condition and history are more important here. I’d leave diesel at this money due to the greater complexity and likely repair costs and I’d leave the Golf which at this age and money is one of the least reliable options. I’d shortlist the following.

Mazda 3 1.6 petrol
Ford Focus 1.6 petrol (don’t touch 1.0 Ecoboost or Powershift auto)
Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol
Honda Civic 1.4/1.8 VTEC petrol
Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol
Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - Big John

(around 2012 on) Honda Civic 1.8. Bulletproof reliability, decent performance from its 140bhp motor, huge boot and spacious cabin.

Didn't the 2012 version of the 1.8 Civic have major oil burning issues?

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - SLO76

(around 2012 on) Honda Civic 1.8. Bulletproof reliability, decent performance from its 140bhp motor, huge boot and spacious cabin.

Didn't the 2012 version of the 1.8 Civic have major oil burning issues?

Apparently some do but I’ve yet to encounter a petrol Civic with any engine problems. But for this money I’d look for a good previous gen car instead or I’d find more money for a post 2013 example or stick with the bulletproof 1.4 VTEC.
Thanks again.

It’s a bit of a novice view, but you immediately associate VW (and other German manufacturers), with solid reliability, but that doesn’t necessarily seem to be the case?

Reliability/running costs are important to me.

What are the main things I’m likely to have issues with and any ideas on costs? I’ve also heard VW can be quite expensive to deal with, but I would go to a local independent due to the age of the car.

I quite like the look of the Mazda 3, to be honest.

Edited by Declan Coates on 28/10/2021 at 23:35

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - Theophilus
It’s a bit of a novice view, but you immediately associate VW (and other German manufacturers), with solid reliability, but that doesn’t necessarily seem to be the case? Reliability/running costs are important to me.

VW have traded on their reputation (self-promoted in their advertising for years!) for reliability, despite regular independent statistics demonstrating that their vehicles are actually less reliable than most Japanese and Korean models.

Remember the children's story of the Emperor's new clothes - it took one child to spell out the truth that no-one wanted to acknowledge.

(I've bought 3 VWs over the years - they spent almost as long with mechanics as on the road!)

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - skidpan

VW have traded on their reputation (self-promoted in their advertising for years!) for reliability, despite regular independent statistics demonstrating that their vehicles are actually less reliable than most Japanese and Korean models.

We have owned 8 VAG cars since 1986. The time they have spend with us has been 33 years and they have covered a total of over 330,000 miles. A couple have spend over 7 years with us and one covered 110,000 miles.

Only major issue we have had was with the high mileage one which had the diff bearings replaced after 100,000 miles. But the car had a hard life towing the car transporter (weighing over a tonne) most summer weekends so I forgave it. Repair cost just over £300 including a new 3 part clutch.

We have also owned a BMW during this period and in the 6 years it was on our drive the only failure was a front spring.

Could any Japanese brand beat that in 39 and 400,000 miles, I don't think so.

We have owned Japanese and Korean cars over the same period, 4 in total for 20 years and 190,000 miles approx. Very little to report other than a broken spring and an A/C condenser but I should say that the diff bearings on the Bluebird only lasted 3 years and 50,000 miles before failing.

If you want to be harsh on German cars its been a spring and diff in 39 years and 390,000 miles. Japanese and Korean its been a spring and a diff in 20 years and 190,000 miles.

Looks like a German win to me.

But since the OP is looking at an older car and cannot know how they have been driven or maintained its going to be a lottery getting a reliable car of any origin. Ours have all been correctly maintained and have in the instances where I have known the next owner they have gone on to give a long life. The last time I saw the high mileage Golf it was nearly 27 years old with just over 200,000 miles on the clock. The current owner was planning a full restoration (like we all do) but its been on a SORN since about 5 months after I last saw it. Must still be alive since it had a new V5C issued 09 August 2021.

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - catsdad

We had a 2012 Civic 1.8 from 2013 (at 13k) to 2019 (75k) it needed pads at 30k and pads/discs all round at 70k. I think Hondas are heavy on brakes. In 25 years of company cars that ran to 50k plus only my Accord need any brake work. I got rid of the Civic when it went from using negligible oil to a litre every 5k. Not excessive as such but I was concerned if it was going to be a trend. I believe it’s due to a piston ring issue on 2012 cars and it’s expensive to fix.

We currently have a 2012 1.6 Mazda 3, on 78k miles, that’s been in the family for four years. It too has need brake work this year with a seized front calliper and new rear discs and pads. The pads and discs were measured by our indie so weren’t a fast fit try-on. It also needed bushes last year. A rusty rear sub frame has just been treated.

So Japanese cars of this age, just like any car, can need work. I am not rubbishing them by any means but you need to be realistic. As for comparison between the Civic and Mazda 3. The Civic has a lot more space and performance. The Mazda 3 puffs on hills that the Civic took with ease (if you rev it). The Mazda is also less economical and, at that age, only has a 5 speed box. Having said that my wife, who owns the Mazda, never liked the Civic and loves the Mazda. It’s a lighter feeling car to drive

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - alan1302

Yes, of course they could do. Could even be lucky and have done it in a single Rover car. One persons fortune or misfortune can't be used to make out how reliable or not a brand is.

Yes, of course they could do. Could even be lucky and have done it in a single Rover car. One persons fortune or misfortune can't be used to make out how reliable or not a brand is.

So basically you are telling me that my personal experience means nothing. That experience is FACT and not simple prejudice for or against certain brands.

When the usual Honda, Toyota Mazda fanboys come on, some of which don't currently own and in some cases have never owned do you tell them their "fortune" is not valid since its personal?

I am just telling the OP that some of us have had good (actually very good) experience with VAG brand which have been little different to those Japanese brands much loved on here.

My post was worth far more to the OP than your usual load of carp.

And you wonder why I stopped posting.

Accept some have views different to yours and move on.

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - Chris M

Of course anyone's real life experience in worth something Skidpan and imo worth more than those who trot out the same old Japanese/Korean is best. But I'm not sure your experience would necessarily translate to the OP's situation where he is potentially looking at a 10 year old car with perhaps something between 50-100k miles on it. Running a car from new or nearly new to 100k is a different prospect to running it from that mileage for several years.

FWIW, my son bought a 10 year old Ibiza 1.4 5 years ago with around 85k miles on the clock. Bought as a stop gap. Still has it. Now on around 115k. Broken spring and a couple of suspension mounts. Been 100% reliable. Paid £1,000 for it plus £100 for a rear brake rebuild. Still looks very tidy after it's annual wash.

Edited by Chris M on 30/10/2021 at 12:27

Of course anyone's real life experience in worth something Skidpan and imo worth more than those who trot out the same old Japanese/Korean is best. But I'm not sure your experience would necessarily translate to the OP's situation where he is potentially looking at a 10 year old car with perhaps something between 50-100k miles on it. Running a car from new or nearly new to 100k is a different prospect to running it from that mileage for several years.

That is why I wrote at the end of my post "But since the OP is looking at an older car and cannot know how they have been driven or maintained its going to be a lottery getting a reliable car of any origin."

So basically you are telling me that my personal experience means nothing. That experience is FACT and not simple prejudice for or against certain brands.

When the usual Honda, Toyota Mazda fanboys come on, some of which don't currently own and in some cases have never owned do you tell them their "fortune" is not valid since its personal?

I am just telling the OP that some of us have had good (actually very good) experience with VAG brand which have been little different to those Japanese brands much loved on here.

Seems an unnecessarily harsh and rude response to alan1302's perfectly valid point?.

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - ronald bennett

For the OP's info the belt driven TSI engines EA211 were introduced in 2013 so any Mk6 Golfs are pretty certain to be the old EA111 chain driven engines.

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - alan1302

No, I'm not saying your personal experience means nothing. Not sure how you can get that from what I said? I'm saying that you experience does not mean that you brand is more or less reliable overall just based on your experience. You said your self that a Japanese car could not have done what your cars had done - that's just nonsense. That is what I was calling out.

I never said that your post did not have any relevance for the op just that you can't extrapolate your experience and make out that all the cars from that brand will be the same.

I thought you had stopped posting as you'd been banned for a while and didn't come back as you don't like anyone to disagreeing with you...maybe you should take your own advice and accept people have different views and move on as well?

Volkswagen Golf - MK6 Golf - Purchasing Query - Xileno

The OP has received some useful advice which hopefully will inform their decision.

As detailed in the sticky thread, if people have issues with the way the site is moderated then email is the method: moderators@honestjohn.co.uk

Time to close this one me thinks.

Mod