Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - JonestHon
We have two Corollas at work, both are well maintained, in the last two Mot’s they received advisories about a rear tyres worn. Last year at 5.7mm and this year for the same wheels for 4.2.

What is the tester consider ‘near limit’?
The cars do about 8k per year mostly within a mile or two around the office, should we just continue and replace when down to say 3mm or should we follow the advisories? The tyres are Dunlop Sports and looking fairly good.
Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Xileno

An advisory is only an advisory, something to keep an eye on but no action needed at the moment. I usually replace tyres at 2.5mm to 3mm and not before assuming the tyre is otherwise in good health.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Engineer Andy

An advisory is only an advisory, something to keep an eye on but no action needed at the moment. I usually replace tyres at 2.5mm to 3mm and not before assuming the tyre is otherwise in good health.

Either they are being poorly advised or the tyres are worn unevenly - though normally such wear should be picked up at the service, as most (good) service agents state tread depth readings across each tyre. The tester should, I would've thought, tell the OP why and where the issue is. I mean 5+mm is nowhere near the legal limit, and not even close to what most people change tyres at.

My betting is on the MOT tester angling for business from the repair side of the outfit.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - _

I'd be changing my MOT station !!

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Big John
Last year at 5.7mm and this year for the same wheels for 4.2

Where iis the measurement figure from - can't remember that appearing on a MOT? Is it because the tyres are worn on one edge and the figure is from the centre?

The figure is us taking a read with a digital depth reader post the MOT insider middle and outer side. These Dunlop’s are evenly worn according to our readings.
Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Manatee

Perhaps the station/tester needs to get its advisory count up, for some reason.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - elekie&a/c doctor
Mot minimum requirement is 1.6 mm over 3/4 of the central tread pattern. The outer edges can be bald and as long as there are no cords visible. Then it’s a pass . All the info is available in the Mot test manual .
Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - focussed

The legal minimum tread depth for car tyres in the uk is 1.6 millimeters, across the central ¾ which is 75% of the tread around the complete circumference of the tyre.

I wonder, does the garage where the test took place sell tyres?

Indeed, we do the MOT at Kwik Fit across the road.
Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Andrew-T
Indeed, we do the MOT at Kwik Fit across the road.

Ah, now you may be talking. Even the most assiduous safety addicts on here don't bother to change their tyres before the tread depth reaches 2mm, so maybe KF is hoping you don't know how to check, and will obediently buy a full set from them. Or being more charitable, perhaps they think you will do a lot of miles in the next 12 months ?

I have seen a monstrous repair bill following a MoT at KF, amounting to about £1200, and that was after a 'discount' ....

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - focussed

The "MOT" testing regime, called controle technique in France is carried out by testing stations who are not allowed to carry out any repairs or adjustments, they are purely testing stations, all of europe does the same.

Also, the test starts at 4 years from first registration, not 3 years as in the UK. and for cars is every other year after that, not every year.

So why does the UK tolerate the makey workey of these dishonest garages scamming their customers?

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - edlithgow

The "MOT" testing regime, called controle technique in France is carried out by testing stations who are not allowed to carry out any repairs or adjustments, they are purely testing stations, all of europe does the same.

Also, the test starts at 4 years from first registration, not 3 years as in the UK. and for cars is every other year after that, not every year.

So why does the UK tolerate the makey workey of these dishonest garages scamming their customers?

It is possible to arrange no-commercial-conflict testing in the UK, at least in some places.

I used the London Borough of Enfield testing station when I lived in London, initially because it was the only non-HGV testing station I could get my Renault Dodge Ex-BT workshop truck done at, but later I took cars there too.

Test here in Taiwan is (I think) older than 3 years too, and is every 6 months, but since it only covers measurable stuff like brake function and emissions, that's OK

I found it was the "testers discretion" stuff that tended to put the lottery in the UK MOT

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Mike H

First "MOT" due at 3 years in Austria. Testing workshops are allowed to do repairs. You can have the test done 3 months before or after the due date, but the 12 month validity always runs from the due date. The tested status is verified by an external sticker on the windscreen.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Will deBeast

>> Even the most assiduous safety addicts on here don't bother to change their tyres before the tread depth reaches 2mm

I assume you meant to say 3mm?

I certainly don't go into winter with tyres at 2mm.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - badbusdriver

>> Even the most assiduous safety addicts on here don't bother to change their tyres before the tread depth reaches 2mm

Same here!

For the OP, not only would I not use this MOT centre any more, I'd tell them why. I'd also complain to whatever governing body covers MOT centres. And, just for good measure, post a very damning review wherever I could, such as on Google (including, if poss, pics of the tread depth gauge on the tyres).

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - daveyjp

Kwikfit, nuff said, Constantly trying to upsell and in this case worthy of a complaint.

It also goes against their own sustainability principals. How does potentially replacing tyres early due to their scaremongering reflect this statement?

"At Kwik Fit we’ve always taken our responsibility to the environment seriously,"

Kwikfit, nuff said, Constantly trying to upsell and in this case worthy of a complaint.

It also goes against their own sustainability principals. How does potentially replacing tyres early due to their scaremongering reflect this statement?

"At Kwik Fit we’ve always taken our responsibility to the environment seriously,"

Be OK if they sold them on as used tyres to someone like me. Somehow I doubt they do though.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - catsdad

It’s not just the fast fit outlets. A few years back our previously apparently trustworthy indie gave us 4 advisories for tyre tread. One for each tyre. He rang me to quote for a full new set but I declined as I knew they were fine. When I got home and checked the treads they were well over the minimum (4-6mm from memory). He admitted he hadn’t measured properly but wouldn’t reissue a clean MOT. Ironically I covered myself by getting a free printed tyre check at a fast fit outfit.

Needless to say I have since moved to another indie and he has never mentioned tyres at MOT time.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - bathtub tom

Be OK if they sold them on as used tyres to someone like me. Somehow I doubt they do though.

I was at a car spares place, when a liveried 'fit quick' van turned up at an adjacent used tyre sales place and started unloading. When I commented I was told they do this a couple of times a week and informed: "where do you think all those tyres with punctures that can't be repaired end up".

I was at a car spares place, when a liveried 'fit quick' van turned up at an adjacent used tyre sales place and started unloading. When I commented I was told they do this a couple of times a week and informed: "where do you think all those tyres with punctures that can't be repaired end up".

Thanks. Good to know

Its very rare that I find I've been too cynical; and quite common to find I havn't been cynical enough.

I try hard, too

I assume you meant to say 3mm? I certainly don't go into winter with tyres at 2mm.

Have you evidence to show how much 'worse' a 2mm tyre is than a 3mm one ? Or are you just buying peace of mind ?

I meant to say what I said. Someone a long while ago advised to renew tyres at 1.6mm ** (which may have been 1/16" originally) presumably for some semi-scientific reason. Cars have got faster and heavier since then, so perhaps more safety margin is needed. I suspect the age of a tyre (and thus its hardness and grip) may be more of a consideration than its tread depth.

** Edit : in fact I have a dim memory that in the early days of MoT testing it was only 1mm - am I right ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/10/2021 at 09:49

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes , I think you are correct. 1mm of depth across 2/3 of the tread face . So pretty much dangerous. 1.6 mm is slightly better, but not much .

Have you evidence to show how much 'worse' a 2mm tyre is than a 3mm one ? Or are you just buying peace of mind ?

A number of years ago Auto Express conducted a test using a selection of cars to examine the difference in wet weather braking (from 70mph) on tyres with the legal minimum of 1.6mm compared to with 3mm of tread (fair to say the difference between 1.6mm and 2mm is going to be marginal)

On a Renault Clio with 1.6mm the distance was 151m, with 3mm it was 113m

On a Ford Focus with 1.6mm the distance was 135m, with 3mm it was 91m

On a Toyota RAV4 with 1.6mm the distance was 155m, with 3mm it was 118m

On an Audi A4 with 1.6mm the distance was 127m, with 3mm it was 97m

Granted tyre technology will have advanced since then, so maybe the difference wouldn't be so great now, but it stands to reason that in wet weather that a small amount of tread depth is going to be considerably less effective at dispersing water.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Bolt

Granted tyre technology will have advanced since then, so maybe the difference wouldn't be so great now, but it stands to reason that in wet weather that a small amount of tread depth is going to be considerably less effective at dispersing water.

The tests do not take into account any type of dirt in the road and wet leaves, apart from any oil on the surface, so I wouldn`t take a lot of notice of testing they do, imo.

Andrew-T states cars have got heavier and faster, but tyres have tended to get wider. I recall Michelin stating that with modern tyre technology, the minimum is no longer applicable. I can't see why and don't know if that applies to Chinese ditchfinders.

The tests do not take into account any type of dirt in the road and wet leaves, apart from any oil on the surface, so I wouldn`t take a lot of notice of testing they do, imo.

The test was conducted at MIRA's dedicated wet road testing track. So while there may well have been some dirt/dust on the track depending on when last used, it is unlikely the test would have gone ahead with a lot of leaves lying on the track, they'd have cleaned it up first otherwise it is obviously going to affect the validity of the results.

But regardless of whether there were outside factors involved, it wouldn't change the most important aspects of the results, which isn't the braking distances per se, but the difference between 1.6mm and 3mm. All the tyres were subject to the same conditions, so even if there was debris on track, the overall braking distances might end up longer, but the difference between the 1.6mm and 3mm is still going to be the same proportionally.

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/10/2021 at 12:07

Andrew-T states cars have got heavier and faster, but tyres have tended to get wider.

Presumably because they had to. As a side-effect of the increasing weight, the tyres, despite being wider to compensate, now last nothing like as long as before. Maybe something to do with more wear on the extra width helped by the unavoidable power steering.

Andrew-T states cars have got heavier and faster, but tyres have tended to get wider.

Presumably because they had to. As a side-effect of the increasing weight, the tyres, despite being wider to compensate, now last nothing like as long as before. Maybe something to do with more wear on the extra width helped by the unavoidable power steering.

They may have had, but only up to a point. The width, diameter and profile of tyres these days has as much, if not more, to do with style and image than necessity.

The car I learned to drive in did actually have power steering, but my instructor was at pains to point why I shouldn't turn the steering wheel while the car was stationary. Even just creeping forward at a snails pace while turning makes all the difference. this is something which has stuck with me and I try to adhere to ever since. There is a woman across the road from me and I 'hear' her parking quite often. Because of the space constraints, she has to make quite a few shunts in her SUV, so I will hear her going from lock to lock, while stationary, at least three times and sometimes as much as six. I shudder think what a state her front tyres are in!.

Because of the space constraints, she has to make quite a few shunts in her SUV, so I will hear her going from lock to lock, while stationary, at least three times

Happens all the time with parents taking kids to school in SUVs, the motors are too big for our roads and most appear to struggle steering them, but then if you buy a motor like that you expect to buy tyres quicker due to excessive steering you have to do on our small roads.

most cannot steer properly doing a 3 point turn and rarely do it in 5or 6 tries so its understandable tyres wear out quicker on them, I know someone with an X3 and complain of tyre cost, but they said they didn`t expect tyre wear to be a problem on it

<< I know someone with an X3 and complain of tyre cost, but they said they didn`t expect tyre wear to be a problem on it. >>

Not only do they wear out fast, they cost a bomb as well, due to size. And of course we always hear the (fairly obvious) mantra 'they are your only contact with road', meaning you shouldn't think twice about the cost.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - madf

I would not go into winter with tread depths less than 3mm. Occasional snow is bad enough with 5-6mm of tread on summer tyres- less than 3mm on summer tyres in winter is an invitation to sliding.

I have seen people in 4x4s with summer tyres skidding in snow . (One off road down a hill landed in a river and resulted in the subsequent death of driver due to hypothermia)

(I run Michelin Cross Climates with currently 5-6mm tread.)

Edited by madf on 17/10/2021 at 19:03

I did one of Pat Ratcliffes (now sadly gone) experience days at Bretts transport and was surprised when I was told to turn the wheel when stationary in a forty tonner. I'd never do that in my own car.

I was also disappointed when driving an old rigid to find it had a synchro gearbox - I was double declutching!

.... (fair to say the difference between 1.6mm and 2mm is going to be marginal)

On a Renault Clio with 1.6mm the distance was 151m, with 3mm it was 113m.

If we assume the loss of grip between 3 and 1.6mm is linear (probably only an approximation), the difference between 1.6 and 2mm will be about 30%, which I suggest is more than 'marginal'. My guess is that this Clio, with 2mm tyres, might stop in 135 metres or a bit more. Still worse than 113m, of course. Money can always be spent trying to make a small risk a little smaller, but the biggest risks come from the nuts behind the wheel(s). :-)

I should really have a set of bald tyres for the "winter" here in Taiwan, to exploit the superior dry (season) braking performance,

But I don't. Too lazy..

Call me irresponsible

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - FoxyJukebox
I suspect you need to look at sidewall “damage”…?
I suspect you need to look at sidewall “damage”…?

Never mind that, what about the Range Rover Evoques that have the steering rack attached with aluminium bolts? I understand a recall has been issued in North America and Canada, but the result in the UK is "replace when fail".

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Terry W

1.6mm is the MINIMUM acceptable tread depth. I replace at 2.5-3.0mm, particularly if autumn approaches with wetter roads, leaves etc.

A set of decent tyres costs £250-500. They last about 30k (for me anyway). If you get less mileage it may be that you stress them more - greater reason for early replacement.

Tyres start with approx 7.0mm of tread giving usable tread of 5.4. I waste ~1mm of tread by an early change - the extra cost works out at ~£60 every 2 or 3 years (£20-30pa).

I may drive a car worth several £'000. Make an insuarnce claim - the excess is £250 and I face higher premiums for the next few years. The ignores the inconvenience of a small prang, and the pain of a larger one.

It is simple risk management!

Tyres start with approx 7.0mm of tread giving usable tread of 5.4. I waste ~1mm of tread by an early change - the extra cost works out at ~£60 every 2 or 3 years (£20-30pa). It is simple risk management!

I suppose choosing when to dispose of tyres which probably have plenty of useful life left may depend a little on how much you drive in wet slippy conditions. Possibly they may be re-used as 'part-worn', but I would bet that most will be ground up for playgrounds or piled on top of a farmer's slurry mountain. Wasted, in other words.

While we are being cajoled into thinking about global issues such as landfill sites and microplastics in the sea, I think we should make fuller use of articles which are commonly scrapped when only 2% 'used'. It may also be worth considering that while your deep-tread tyres may prevent you hitting the guy in front, they make it harder for the one behind who is down to the (perfectly legal) 2mm to avoid rear-ending you.

The (presumably arbitrary) 1.6mm depth was chosen as a safe compromise, which for the kind of driving I do is perfectly acceptable IMHO. Reducing it to pure cost analysis is only searching for justification; for some, a set of tyres make a big dent in the wallet, which is why they go to (and beyond) the limit.

1.6mm is the MINIMUM acceptable tread depth. I replace at 2.5-3.0mm, particularly if autumn approaches with wetter roads, leaves etc.

A set of decent tyres costs £250-500. They last about 30k (for me anyway). If you get less mileage it may be that you stress them more - greater reason for early replacement.

Tyres start with approx 7.0mm of tread giving usable tread of 5.4. I waste ~1mm of tread by an early change - the extra cost works out at ~£60 every 2 or 3 years (£20-30pa).

I may drive a car worth several £'000. Make an insuarnce claim - the excess is £250 and I face higher premiums for the next few years. The ignores the inconvenience of a small prang, and the pain of a larger one.

Grooves depth of new tyres varies between brands.

From real life examples, the above Dunlop SP's in my original post were according to our records 8.5mm in the centre and 8.0mm towards the edges when fitted new.

Looking on other vehicles in the business, we have a 3 series beemer with Avon ZV7, these were when new 10mm deep in the centre and 9.0 toward the edge.

What do you mean by 'usable thread'? what data is out there to point on thread usability from new?

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - Terry W

Usable tread is that on which the vehicle can be driven before they fall below a legal minimum. On a new tyre the tread depth will vary, as will the compound and potential life.

Example - starting with (say) 7.5mm, replace at (say) 1.5mm = 6.0mm of usable tread. If replaced at 2.5mm, only 5.0mm of the 6.0mm available is used - a waste of 1.0mm or 17%.

Another poster was right to comment on unnecessary waste - they are right. It is easy to quantify financial risk but more difficult to balance consequential impacts - avoidable vehicle repairs, treatment of injuries etc.

If the real concern was waste, the better action may be to drive less miles and keep cars longer - tyre wear is a minor part of the associated tyre lifecycle which includes fuel, new vehicle manufacture, road maintenance etc.

Edited by Terry W on 18/10/2021 at 11:25

Well, its risk management, all right, but its hardly simple.

I've long been of the heretical opinion worn/bald tyres would be statistically safer for me here in Taiwan, since it is very seldom wet here. Seems to upset some people, though its hardly rocket science

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/please-maintain-...3

Turns out (according to Michelin) that’s true in Europe too, though to a lesser extent, and I suppose the balance of risk would be hard to calculate.

Worn tyres are also quieter and more fuel efficient, with a 20% reduction in rolling resistance.

mb.cision.com/Public/55/2276201/8e33562e02c19f06.p...f

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - corax
Worn tyres are also quieter and more fuel efficient, with a 20% reduction in rolling resistance.

mb.cision.com/Public/55/2276201/8e33562e02c19f06.p...f

I have never known tyres to get quieter when worn. There is usually more droning or drumming on the road surface. I've read endless reviews from people amazed by the absense of road noise when they have switched to new tyres. Maybe they have conducted tests to the contrary in that link but I trust my ears.

Dunno.

I don't have your ears, so I tend to trust the research.

In terms of personal experience, I don't really have much, since I don't care about road noise and never pay any attention to it.

Intuitively (an uncertain guide) I'd say it made sense, because off-road tyres, which I have experience with in the army, tend to be noisy, and I assume this is because of the "chunkier" tread pattern.

The lower rolling resistance makes sense because there is less rubber to absorb energy. Likewise the better dry braking performance and handling because there is less "squirm"

The lower rolling resistance makes sense because there is less rubber to absorb energy.

I think you will find its because the rubber becomes less sticky as it wears, but new tyres are made that way to reduce tyres sticking to the road, not that I have noticed any difference in fuel economy.

but new tyres are definetly quieter than worn tyres depending on make, I have found on Hondas that Michelin are the most noisy regardless of there DB rating

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - galileo

I've long been of the heretical opinion worn/bald tyres would be statistically safer for me here in Taiwan, since it is very seldom wet here. Seems to upset some people, though its hardly rocket science

Many years ago, in the days when I had to wait for payday to shop for food/beer/ciggies I would run on bald tyres until I could scrape up the necessary cash (before the days of credit cards). I

Bald tyres were then legal until the canvas showed, that was definitely not legal.

I had some 'interesting' experiences on wet roads, which led me to give tyres a higher priority.

Many years ago, in the days when I had to wait for payday to shop for food/beer/ciggies I would run on bald tyres until I could scrape up the necessary cash (before the days of credit cards). I

Bald tyres were then legal until the canvas showed, that was definitely not legal.

I had some 'interesting' experiences on wet roads, which led me to give tyres a higher priority.

You're right that heavily (but evenly and not down to the 'canvas') worn tyres are much betting gripping in the dry - rather like 'slick' track tyres, plus they also firm up and give better mpg at the expense of ride quality and obviously traction in the wet and (colder climate) winter months.

I've never been a 'high mileage' driver, and thus all of my tyres over the years have been replaced on age, physical codition or the driving experience (mainly the former).

None of them have ever gone under 3mm of tread left, but two sets of tyres - both the OEMs on the cars, were at about 6 years old, had started to get hard and led to a few very hairy moments (documented on the forum before) in the wet in cooler months.

I'd rather just not take the risk in the wet/winter, though with newer design tyres, they appear to physically last longer in terms of deterioration just from being outside, even if they aren't used much.

Any - Mot advisory: rear tyre worn close to legal limit - sammy1

""None of them have ever gone under 3mm of tread left, but two sets of tyres - both the OEMs on the cars, were at about 6 years old, had started to get hard and led to a few very hairy moments (documented on the forum before) in the wet in cooler months.""

I do not know how some people drive but I have never" touch wood" had an hairy moment and have driven quite a lot of cars with tyres old and well below the 3mm that some are throwing away. Driving sensible and to the road conditions is sound advice.

I do not know how some people drive but I have never" touch wood" had an hairy moment and have driven quite a lot of cars with tyres old and well below the 3mm that some are throwing away. Driving sensible and to the road conditions is sound advice.

That is of course true. The conditions our safety-first contributors are allowing for are the sudden unexpected situations calling for instant response - such as one I still remember, driving on a narrow country road with priority at junctions, only to meet (presumably a local) shooting straight over a crossing. Very unsettling, especially in the wet.

""None of them have ever gone under 3mm of tread left, but two sets of tyres - both the OEMs on the cars, were at about 6 years old, had started to get hard and led to a few very hairy moments (documented on the forum before) in the wet in cooler months.""

The 'hairy moments' I experienced were:

1. Driving normally - well under the speed limit, but on a damp dual carriageway - and then having to brake when a set of traffic lights at a junction turned red. The car (no ABS, BTW - mid 90s Micra) just wouldn't stop in time and I ended up about a metre over the stop line. Luckily no harm done. The same happened again just a few days later, and so, as the OEM tyres were (2002/3 if I recall) about 6-7 years old, I decided to change them.

2. Again, driving normally for the conditions, wet (but not really bad) and going round two roundabouts driving my current Mazda3 from 2005 (with ABS, no TC though) within a reasonably short space of time. Both times, the back end stepped out a bit - I managed to correct it, but this was a wake-up call.

The tyres, again OEMs, had been getting hard (noticeably firmer and noiser ride for several months), and so they were changed as a result of these incidents.

The first set of tyres, if I recall, had around 3mm tread left, the second on my current car had about 4mm left on the fronts and 5mm on the rears, which shows it was the tyre compound that was at fault - getting hard with less grip in slippery wet conditions.

Bear in mind Sammy that I tend to do low mileage generally (but not just on local roads), but that I also am not someone with a heavy right foot either (though not Captain Slow).

This means that I can get very good milages out of a set of tyres from a wear perspective, the problem being related to the tyres ageing out due to deterioration of the compound due to the sun, temperature changes, etc, etc. Both those sets above had done 40,000 miles plus with still a decent amount of tread left.

The last set of tyres I changed on my Mazda were changed because I needed to change the alloys (corrosion) and I downsized them (and obviously the tyres to match) because they were considerably cheaper. The tyres had 'only' done 25,000 miles and still had 5-6mm of tread left and were working well, including in the wet/cold conditions.

Had I not needed to chage out the alloys, I would've likely kept them going until either similar mileage as before or when they aged out (they were 5.5 years old this time around).

If you do at least 10,000 miles pa on a variety of roads, most tyres tend to last (i.e. change due to wear anywhere between 3mm of tread down to the legal minimum) at around the 2-3 year / 20k-25k miles mark. Their compound won't have deteriorated because it wouldn't have had the time to do so, hence why the 'hairy moment' is less likely to happen, especially if they get changed at 2-3mm.

The choice of tyre makes a big difference - my old Micra's OEM Dunlop SP Sport 200 (I think) were fine right up until the two 'incidents' and had a reasonably decent repoutation generally; the Mazda's OEM Bridgestone ER30 tyres on the other hand did not have a good reputation (you can look them up on Tyre Reviews for user reviews - it scores badly, including from me), but again, mine were mainly noisy and then suddenly the wet weather issue started.

I didn't waste any time changing both though.