Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - Xileno

Now here's one for the panel to think about.

Normally my old Focus (2007 1.6 petrol, 86000 miles) has its annual service and MOT in November. However due to Covid I have only covered 829 miles, so probably will be a 1000 by November. I obviously need to have the MOT done but thinking maybe the service is unnecessary. I check the fluid levels now and again, it has never used any oil in between services. Tyres are all quite new, front disks and pads only 5000 miles ago. Anything serious like an exhaust about to drop off would be picked up by the MOT. Its second cambelt will not be due for another year and that will be by age rather than miles, according to the service book.

On the other hand I think while the garage is doing the MOT they may as well give it a quick service. Still unsure.

I don't think skipping a service will make any difference to its value which will be very little now and usually when I've finished with my old cars I give them away.

What would you do?

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - Falkirk Bairn

Having so little use it could be more important to have a service - lack of use - stuck brake pads, binding handbrake, degradation of oil quality through lack of use etc etc

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - Ian D
As a basic service is an oil and filter change and a look around I would leave it, after only 1000 miles the oil will be ok for a 2007 Focus. The MOT will pick up any brake binding problems, can’t see the value being affected by missing this service
Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - Andrew-T

Having so little use it could be more important to have a service - lack of use - stuck brake pads, binding handbrake, degradation of oil quality through lack of use etc etc

We've been here before, haven't we ? Unused oil, unless it's very stale, doesn't go rancid or anything by itself. If the car normally gets well warmed up when driven, the oil will not accumulate much acidic moisture and should be OK. It's churning oil round a hot engine that wears it out, not sitting in a cool dark place. I have driven my 1994 306 for about 2000 miles since August 2019, and have just changed its oil, but not the filter (I emptied and replaced that).

As for the brake pads and binding handbrake, the MoT should pick those up.

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/09/2021 at 15:22

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - John F

'Little' is not necessarily 'infrequent'. 1000 miles could be either a twenty mile trip once a week, or a few long journeys with several weeks of idleness when things might seize up. And if oil isn't used, it doesn't 'degrade' unless contaminated or exposed to the atmosphere and its contents.

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - SLO76
As long as you’re regularly checking for faults and dipping the oil I’d probably skip the service this year too.

What would you do?

I suspect you can guess what I'd do, Xileno ;-)

I am intrigued by your cambelt comment. I would have thought such a diligent owner would have treated it to its second cambelt in 2017 when ten years old. Anyway, don't worry - modern 21st century cambelts age well, and the 1.6 Zetec's is a robust design. Our X reg Focus, seven years older and approx twice the mileage of yours, still awaits its second cambelt.

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - Galaxy

Didn't bother having my Mondeo serviced last year. It had only done 1500 miles in the previous year so I just put it in for an MOT after checking all the obvious things myself. Fortunately it passed!

I did have it serviced this year, though, even though it had only done a further 1000 miles. Even the engine oil was still yellow!

Edited by Galaxy on 27/09/2021 at 18:11

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - Xileno

Interesting replies, many thanks. It's always good to get other opinions.

a few hours ago I happened to be near the independent garage I use so popped in to book the MOT and they suggested leaving the service but will just do a quick additional 'check over' after the MOT. I'm happy with that. I know there is a very minor seep of oil from the PAS pump but the garage said to leave it as it's so minor but keep an eye on the level. At some point it might need a new pump.

Then in November 2022 I will have it serviced including a new cambelt and tensioner as it will be sixteen (it's every eight years or 100,000 miles on this engine, possibly because of the variable timing?)

John F - do you want my old cambelt?

;-)

Then in November 2022 I will have it serviced including a new cambelt and tensioner as it will be sixteen (it's every eight years or 100,000 miles on this engine, possibly because of the variable timing?)

Interesting. I would have thought any theoretical increased wear and tear from the VVT (if indeed there is any of significance) would result in a mileage, not age, reduction from the original 10yrs/100,000 miles.

John F - do you want my old cambelt?

;-)

I'd rather have the virtually unused tension pulley! I wonder if it is as easy to exchange as it was in our old Passat GL 2.0, in which the original cambelt was still doing its job at over 240,000 miles when we sold it.

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - Engineer Andy

I once (when my car was well out of warranty) changed my service from the (more expensive) more major service to the (far cheaper) minor one because of a similar reason. This was pre-pandemic (by some years) and I just effectively deferred the major service by one year.

Skipping service entirely is, in my view, not recommended because low mileage/usage means certain components may get seized or damaged, like brake pads/discs, air conditioning and even flatspotted /mishapen (due to being left to get flat) tyres.

Checking the operation of components, especially ones that need usage to keep them in good order, often because usage mean all the parts get lubricated should be done annually. Obviously checking the condition of the battery is a must for low use cars.

Similarly with changing out certain fluids, e.g. brake fluid. I would also say that certain cars have more issues with a lack of use than others, and being a long-term owner helps guide you to have a better idea what issues may occur and what don't.

My car tends to only have issues with seizing brakes when not used a lot, plus I need to keep an eye on the battery.

If a car owner is competent enough to check some of these themselves, then great, it saves money on garage bills, but if not, why risk an expensive or even terminal (enough for the car to be scrapped) failure just to save £200 in a year?

It appears that oil changes are a bone of contention, perhaps because degridation varies considerably from model to model, or is more dependent on what type of use the car gets and perhaps the ambient conditions? At least via the dipstick you can - reasonably - check the condition of the oil as well as its level.

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - edlithgow

I once (when my car was well out of warranty) changed my service from the (more expensive) more major service to the (far cheaper) minor one because of a similar reason. This was pre-pandemic (by some years) and I just effectively deferred the major service by one year.

Skipping service entirely is, in my view, not recommended because low mileage/usage means certain components may get seized or damaged, like brake pads/discs, air conditioning and even flatspotted /mishapen (due to being left to get flat) tyres.

Checking the operation of components, especially ones that need usage to keep them in good order, often because usage mean all the parts get lubricated should be done annually. Obviously checking the condition of the battery is a must for low use cars.

Similarly with changing out certain fluids, e.g. brake fluid. I would also say that certain cars have more issues with a lack of use than others, and being a long-term owner helps guide you to have a better idea what issues may occur and what don't.

My car tends to only have issues with seizing brakes when not used a lot, plus I need to keep an eye on the battery.

If a car owner is competent enough to check some of these themselves, then great, it saves money on garage bills, but if not, why risk an expensive or even terminal (enough for the car to be scrapped) failure just to save £200 in a year?

It appears that oil changes are a bone of contention, perhaps because degridation varies considerably from model to model, or is more dependent on what type of use the car gets and perhaps the ambient conditions? At least via the dipstick you can - reasonably - check the condition of the oil as well as its level.

Depends what you mean by "service". I've never had one, but its my understanding (and has already been pointed out above) that none of the things you mention get done in a standard pro service.

This implies that, unless you DIY, you would have to specify these inspections and verify they'd been done. I doubt that is even possible unless you have special cred with your garage , but if it is it still sounds like it would be a hassle.

Assuming service = oil change, my last service interval was about 6 years. The engine was very clean at the end of that period, cleaner in fact than it was at the start, and there was no sign of oil degradation.

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/engine-after-sit.../

It seems possible, however, that there was a some increase in wear due to the accumulation of debris in the oil.

Edited by edlithgow on 02/10/2021 at 10:18

Ford Focus - Worth bothering with annual service? - FoxyJukebox
I had an MOT and a short service in March 2021…big service planned March 2022.
My car ( Mazda) going fine. Only did 1500 miles March 2020 to March 2021