2014 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 DI-D GX4 - Mitsubishi Outlander - Buying advice - Armagh123
I am looking at a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander with 100,000 miles on clock for £8000. Was looking some advice on whether or not this is a good buy. Are they a reliable car and is a model with this many miles on the clock a good investment?
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 DI-D GX4 - Mitsubishi Outlander - Buying advice - badbusdriver

Short answer is no!.

Longer answer is a bit more involved. How many owners has it had?, what is the service history like?, what is the MOT history like?, what are your own requirements for a car?.

If you don't tow something heavy, a petrol engined car will almost certainly cost less to run long term, considerably so if something fairly major goes wrong under the bonnet. In the case of a diesel, this could easily result in a bill running into thousands of pounds.

If the car has an exceptional service history, has had few owners, and you do actually need a car like this to tow with, it could be a worthy buy. But buying any used car is a game of chance, so it really depends on how much you want the car and how lucky you feel.

I believe the engine in this case is a PSA unit, as used in various Citroen and Peugeot models including their versions of the Outlander (C-Crosser and 4007). Not sure what, if any, specific problems affect this engine though.

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 DI-D GX4 - Mitsubishi Outlander - Buying advice - Falkirk Bairn

tinyurl.com/phhvzk5d

CRV -Base model, 2WD petrol, quite heavy on the juice, private sale

2 owners under 60K - worth a look?

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 DI-D GX4 - Mitsubishi Outlander - Buying advice - Manatee

I believe the engine in this case is a PSA unit, as used in various Citroen and Peugeot models including their versions of the Outlander (C-Crosser and 4007). Not sure what, if any, specific problems affect this engine though.

No, it will be a Mitsubishi 4N14 engine. When introduced, it had 174hp, quite soon that was revised to 148hp. I had a manual 2011 car with the nominally more powerful engine and still have a 2016 auto with the 148hp. I wouldn't worry about the power difference, in the normal driving rpm range the torque and therefore power is the same (actually the spread is a bit better on the 148 and you won't notice the difference.)

The auto is nicer to drive. You'll struggle to better 36mpg with either. The manual is not much more economical than the 6 speed Jatco automatic.

The clutch on the manual IMO is a bit weak. Mine never broke or wore out, but I think it glazed and I had to 'roast' it a couple of times to stop it slipping. The auto is a lot better for towing a 1200Kg caravan.

I can't speak for the longevity of the engine. I sold the manual at 48,000, and my auto has done about 30,000 now, both without trouble apart from the weedy clutch - maybe that was just mine.

A GX3 with leather seats is a good alternative - you lose the HID headlamps, which were great but cost a fortune if they pop, and the built in sat nav which was poor (I use Google maps on a phone mount). My current one is a GX3 - I don't miss the sat nav, the ordinary halogen headlamps I can live with, but my wife misses the seat heater - which is missing from the leather seats on the GX3. Frankly it's not a cutting edge car, but I like it.

Edited by Manatee on 30/08/2021 at 15:43