LV Britannia Rescue - glidermania

When I joined the Civil Service back in 75, one of the first things I did was join the CSMA. Eventually they stopped using Green Flag and instigated Britannia Rescue which they ran for many years before flogging it off to LV.

I used BR a couple of times and always found them very good and no massive delays waiting for the chap to turn up. Their comprehensive level of cover weighs in at around £97pa plus CSMA membership.

The last couple of years Ive considered leaving LV BR and joining another roadside assistance group. Ive been put off doing so because although LV BR fees are quite high even with the CSMA discount, you just dont know what the level of service from the 'new' organisation is going to be like.

But this morning, I received a rather confusing letter from LV BR. The gist of it seems to be saying if one has a flat tyre, flat battery or siezed brakes while the car is 'at home,' dont phone us, use a webform to contact us and tell us what's wrong. Bear in mind, this applies to anyone with home start which is included in the comprehensive cover.

So now I wonder just how long will one have to wait for acknowledgement and assistance when requested via a webform that will go to a mailbox for call centre staff to trawl through between actual breakdown calls?

Looks like this bit of nonesense will finally make me break with over 45 years CSMA membership.

LV Britannia Rescue - bathtub tom

It's not called CSMA any more, it's boundless. I left when it became the LV appreciation society.

It's not called CSMA any more, it's boundless. I left when it became the LV appreciation society.

Boundless is the name of the CSMA magazine. The company is still CSMA.

LV Britannia Rescue - _

When my free recovery from KIA expires, I'll go back to Start Rescue, they'll do their best to take doggies etc,

Currant price in link for my sportage is

£32.80, everything

inc Europe £70.80

www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover/quick-quote

I have actually used them and very quick.

5***** review.

When my free recovery from KIA expires, I'll go back to Start Rescue, they'll do their best to take doggies etc,

Currant price in link for my sportage is

£32.80, everything

inc Europe £70.80

I have actually used them and very quick.

5***** review.

Thanks. I save that link for my renewal at the end of the year.

LV Britannia Rescue - Big John

Looks pretty good but gets more expensive for older cars. We have a 2014 Superb and a 2006 Panda and if I cover both cars inc European cover just for the Superb (Europe not available for the 2006 car) it comes to more than we are paying Nationwide flex + and that also covers both cars in Europe, travel and mobile insurance. Worth a look for newer cars though.

LV Britannia Rescue - Xileno

I used these people for many years when I was motoring to France three times a year:

www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/car-insurance/breakdown-.../

Since I no longer go to France I found a cheaper policy just for UK since the policy above includes Europe whether you want it or not.

There is an age limit on cars, I think it is fifteen.

Edited by Xileno on 07/08/2021 at 20:39

LV Britannia Rescue - Dag Hammar

Anyone thinking of joining Green Flag should read this tale of woe and think again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/green-flag-refused-rescue-husband-died/

LV Britannia Rescue - *David*

Like you I have been with the CSMA and used their breakdown

since 1980 . I'm reluctant to change , did you find a new breakdown service?

Thanks David

LV Britannia Rescue - Steveieb

I too have been with CSMA for many years and enjoy the other benefits such as their social breaks which are amazing value. Plus up to 10%off LV insurance products .

But after being abandoned at a service station by Brittania because they refused to transport the dog in the recovery truck I decided to look elsewhere.

The two companies that top the Which surveys are Start and the AA and as most breakdowns, apart from tyre changes involve a recovery to a workshop I chose Start , mainly because they don’t use the “ Relay “ service where your car is transported in three hour journeys accompanied by another stop to meet up with another truck.

Our friends took 14 hours to be recovered by AA from Dover to Northampton involving four changes of recovery vehicle.

LV Britannia Rescue - catsdad

We are with Start, never had to use them but their online membership service and renewal are good. The only oddity is that when we changed one of our cars recently they accepted the online change when we picked up the new car but it was dated for the next day. Maybe they only update their files overnight.

LV Britannia Rescue - Chris M

"Maybe they only update their files overnight."

Maybe they don't trust you. Buy a car with an existing fault and get free delivery to your home.

LV Britannia Rescue - De Sisti

One-star reviews for Start are shocking. I personally don't like the use of cut 'n' paste responses.

[Edit]

I have been with Britannia Rescue for about 30 years and have used them on half a dozen occasions in the UK (for Home Start) and once in France (for a flat battery). A mechanic was sent out with a jump-start thingy. Once the car started I drove for about half an hour to recharge the battery.

Britannia Rescue still cover older* cars. (Some rescue companies do not).

* Define older cars? Mine is 20 years old.

Edited by De Sisti on 08/11/2023 at 12:48

LV Britannia Rescue - Cris_on_the_gas

Was with CSMA/Boundless for many years and had Britannia rescue always very competitive on price & service.

Recently found Britannia rescue expensive compared other providers. Still keep the Boundless membership for the legal protection and other perks and discounts but recovery service elsewhere.

LV Britannia Rescue - Steveieb

Like me Kris are you finding LV insurance through Boundless discount still expensive , and they are unwilling to negotiate?

LV Britannia Rescue - Maxime.

Just got Start Rescue 5 star cover for everything including Europe for £64.14 after discount from the moneysaving expert website

Startrescue.co.uk*

17% discount for new annual policies via our link. It offers vehicle cover or personal cover, so you can choose which you'd prefer.

Breakdown assistance is provided if the car's more than a quarter of a mile away from your home as standard, or you can opt to include 'Home Assist' for additional cost.